PDA

View Full Version : Toys for Tots Gets a Black Eye From the BBC

Dvan
01-02-04, 10:14 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_world/3311057.stm

While reading an online article about the Hell's Angels, biker group, I came across the stunning statement that the Hell's Angels are responsible for organising the charitable "Toys for Tots" program...! What?!...

The above link will take you to the article and at the end you will have an opportunity to voice your opinion about the article in general. Tell these people, politely now, they are seriously misinformed about the Toys for Tots program. It has always been a charitable outreach of the United States Marine Corps Reserve.

To register your reaction and correction of their 'facts', click on the small 'Feedback' link at the bottom. Again, be polite in your typed response, you represent your Corps and Country.

Dvan
01-02-04, 10:16 AM
PS the offending comments are under the section of the article headed, "Public Image"

Sparrowhawk
01-02-04, 10:54 AM
Toys For Tots

Marine Toys for Tots Foundation
715 Broadway St., Ste. 300, MCA Annex
Quantico, VA 22134 (Map)
Phone: 703-640-9433
Fax: 703-640-0917

http://www.toysfortots.org

The Marine Toys for Tots Foundation collects and distributes new toys to children in need for Christmas. Major Bill Hendricks started Toys for Tots in 1947.

Some other organizations have in the past, used their resources to also gather toys for kids. I remember years ago, about 20 years ago, the hell's Angels collecting toys for tots.

lurchenstein
01-02-04, 12:07 PM
The article is misleading. Could've been better stated by Bagnall that the Hell's Angels attempt to appear as good citizens by getting involved in legitimate charity drives such as "Toys for Tots". On the other hand, it's possible (in all their "hardcore badness") that some of the members actually care about doing something to make a kid happy.

Doc Crow
01-02-04, 12:19 PM
Hmmmmmmm Another Limey Error. Why does this not surprise me

firstsgtmike
01-02-04, 03:44 PM
I've been away for a while, but I do remember a well publicized bike run every year in Sacramento of the Hell's Angels riding in with their donations to the Marine Corps Reserves Toys For Tots program.

Yes, it was image publicity for them, but the major beneficiaries of the publicity was the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps Reserves, their Toys For Tots program, and, naturally, the recipients of the toys.