PDA

View Full Version : PMO night patrol no joy ride

thedrifter
01-02-04, 08:00 AM
PMO night patrol no joy ride
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 20031230192853
Story by Sgt. Chris Eriksen

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa, Japan — -- The Provost Marshall’s Office nighttime patrolmen have one goal they strive to maintain each night here – safety and security.

Tucson native Lance Cpl. Benjamin Maple, ‘Syrup’ as he was known in boot camp, a dog handler for the Provost Marshal Office, Marine Corps Base, is one of those patrolmen. On a typical evening patrol, Maple works with his four-legged partner Jumbo, a four-year-old German Shepherd.

“I volunteered to do this patrol for the experience I would gain,” the Tucson, Ariz., native said.

Maple’s evening begins with typical paperwork, a preshift brief and an inspection of his vehicle. He calls into dispatch then rolls out in his vehicle and begins his assignment for the night.

A roving patrol takes him around the base perimeter several times and includes an identification check for out going traffic. This routine differs from his patrols with Jumbo.

“Canine patrols are a lot different than road (military police’s) patrols,” the 2001 Canyon Deloro High School graduate said. “We patrol but only respond to a scene as support. When we are called to a scene it would be for some kind of search like looking for a suspect that might be in a warehouse.”

Along his patrol route Maple methodically observes everything. Nothing stands out as being unusual or suspect.

“On slow nights I think about what I am going to do on my days off. I think about being back home with family and friends,” the teddy bear like Maple said with a sigh.
“And when I go home on leave, eating an Arby’s Beef-n-Cheddar, curly fries and a Dr. Pepper,” he continued with a smile and hunger in his eyes.

A yawn escapes Maple as he stretches to fight off the boredom of the stale night. He remains focused and ready for a change in activity.

“When nights are slow it is easy to get distracted thinking about other things,” Maple, fighting back another yawn, said. “You just have to remain focused because you never know what might happen next.”

“How we respond to a call and handle the situation is dictated by the situation and each situation is different,” he said pulling into the club area. “This makes it’s a great learning experience.”

Maple notes that most people are very friendly when they see the canine units. He attributes that to the dog’s presence.

“A lot of people are more cooperative when they see a dog with us,” Maple said still tense from the call at the Globe and Anchor Enlisted Club. “They see the dog and it’s like a barrier breaker. They just want to be all friendly and pet the dog.”

Maple’s shift ends in much the same way as it starts…filling out paperwork. Reflecting back on his patrols, Maple notes that each patrol is different and the experience will help him in the future.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/17C071A15F44F40985256E0D0002A51A?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

firstsgtmike
01-02-04, 08:22 AM
I remember.

The industrial area at Camp Pendelton.

I remember the "accidents" of jeeps running into buildings while chasing jackrabbits during the midnight to four watch.

I remember jeeps totalled while racing road traffic, up and down the ramps of the warehouses, and forgetting the last one had no down ramp.

Yes, I remember when a "dog" meant a frankfurter inserted between two halves of a bun and loaded with mustard (and saurcraut, if you were a New Yorker).

lurchenstein
01-02-04, 12:16 PM
Reminds me of mainside at MCAGCC "29 Stumps" before & after the CAX's.