PDA

View Full Version : Greyhawks prepare for deployment with Nevada training

thedrifter
01-02-04, 07:58 AM
Greyhawks prepare for deployment with Nevada training
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification Number: 20031230175332
Story by Lance Cpl. John Sayas

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. -- Marines of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 161 conducted flight training at Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Field in Nevada, Dec. 3 through 12, in preparation for a possible deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Although the squadron has not received official deployment orders, the Marines are preparing as if they are going back to Iraq to replace units who have been serving there since the war began, according to Lt. Col. David W. Coffman, commanding officer, HMM-161.

"Our deployment was entirely focused on preparing to go back to Iraq this spring for OIF-2," said Coffman, a Eustis, Texas native who assumed command of the squadron last summer. "We are expecting to get deployment orders to Iraq and this was our way to work on our tactics."

The squadron focused on night operations, ways to defeat the terrorist or missile attacks or small arms threats, as well as planning and executing mission plans for the type of operating environment in Iraq. Crewmembers also practiced firing the .50-caliber machine gun mounted on the rear of the CH-46E to build self-defense capabilities.

"If somebody wants to shoot at us, we want to shoot back," Coffman said. "It is very important to me that we are effective with our weapons. Even though we are not shooters like the (Cobra) attack helicopters, we have great self-defense capabilities with those .50-cals and we want everybody out there on the other end to know that if they mess with us they are going to get a rain of lead from our .50-cal."

He added that their training was fairly routine even though the mission in Iraq has shifted from combat operations to providing security as Iraqis continue rebuilding their country.

"We haven't thrown out any of the tactics that we have been working on over the last 20 years," Coffman explained. "They are going to work for us over there."

Despite continuing insurgent attacks in recent months, Coffman thinks of them as a low threat because they are not as sophisticated with integrated radars and second and third generation surface-to-air missiles. With adequate survivability equipment in sometimes harsh conditions, he feels the squadron can succeed in an environment like Iraq.

"We respect that threat, but we are not afraid of it and we think we can go over there and operate," he said.

HMM-161 Marines were first deployed to Iraq along with other 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing squadrons in February and provided valuable troop transport and supplies to thousands of Marines on the ground as they moved towards Baghdad. They left soon after major combat operations ended successfully in May. They suffered no casualties or loss of aircraft, according to Coffman.

Many of the Marines who served the first time around will be returning with a bit more than just training, but actual combat experience. The training conducted in Nevada allowed Marines with firsthand knowledge to teach newer members of the squadron, according to Coffman.

"The first time we went out there, we had an idea what we were going to do. But this time we know for sure where we are going and what we will be doing," said Cpl. Art Ruisenor, CH-46E crew chief, HMM-161, and Omaha, Neb., native. "Everyone looks to us like we are going to help them out. It's real important for the guys who have already been out there to tell what they already know."

The squadron normally would be preparing for their normal Unit Deployment Program training rotation this summer with Marine Expeditionary Units, but instead are preparing for another deployment in support of rebuilding efforts in Iraq, according to Coffman. Because of the shortened training time, he said they will be conducting more training this month before they do final preparations for their possible deployment to Iraq.

"The challenge for us in the leadership level is how quick can I get these guys trained up and ready to conduct high-tempo combat operations," he said.

Coffman explained that he has great confidence in his Marines, who have a lot of pride, motivation and commitment to accomplishing whatever is asked of them. He expects them to do well and is sure they will return next time with more stories.

"I expected a lot of weeping and Marines saying I can't go," Coffman said. "Instead I had people stopping me in the hallway asking if they can extend so they can go on this deployment. ... I was really overwhelmed by the sense of loyalty by the Marines."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/7B5EBD7F1E6EED8485256E0C007DC03B?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: