PDA

View Full Version : Robin Williams dies: Hollywood's comic genius is found dead aged 63

jetdauwgg
08-11-14, 09:09 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/robin-williams-dies-actorcomedian-is-found-dead-aged-63-9662979.html

The Hollywood star Robin Williams was found dead on Monday at his home in Northern California from an apparent suicide. He was 63

29palms
08-11-14, 10:10 PM
I just read that. I never cared too much for him as comedian. I thought he was better at playing a villain, but not comedy's. I hated that show Mork and Mindy.

ameriken
08-12-14, 09:50 AM
I don't know what to say. I wasn't much of RW fan either, but now this is all we're going to hear is about depression, mental health, suicide, etc among celebs and how tough they've got it. That's great, mental health issues deserves attention but I can't help thinking about the thousands of suicides by our veterans that go ignored on a daily basis because America as a whole doesn't give a sh*t.

RW had it all, money, fame, etc, and could have had the best doctors and care in the world, yet still somehow nmanaged to throw it all away. Meanwhile, just imagine how much more difficult it is for veterans who grapple with the same issues PLUS PTSD and have nowhere near the resources that celebs have.

I'm not knocking RW or trying to make light of what he dealt with, my beef is more with this society that has it's priorities and values all screwed up.

FistFu68
08-12-14, 10:01 AM
Good Morning Vietnam Rest In Peace

jetdauwgg
08-12-14, 10:22 AM
RW was so genius that even in death he is bringing to light the difficulties that mental health issues bring to the American family. He probably was using anti depressants.

it is very tragic that he took his own life and Ken you are correct that many veterans suffer from depression.

29palms
08-12-14, 11:02 AM
RW was so genius that even in death he is bringing to light the difficulties that mental health issues bring to the American family. He probably was using anti depressants.

it is very tragic that he took his own life and Ken you are correct that many veterans suffer from depression.

When we say veterans that suffer from depression, are we talking Veterans in general or COMBAT veterans, because, even the population outside the military suffers from depression or mental illness.
Robin Williams, as much money as that man had, could go and get help, but Veterans have no business NOT GETTING HELP. Especially if you served in combat. They have all the resources avail to them by your friendly neighborhood VA. All courtesy of Uncle Sam. That accounts for medical expenses that the population normally has to foot on their own for medical care, or meet outrageous deductibles.
In Robin Williams case, weve all seen this before. We saw it with John Belushi, we saw it with River Phoenix, who's that guy that played Shayne that asphyxiated himself when having sex in Thailand, weve seen it with that fat comedian that over dosed in his Chicago penthouse on cocaine. This is nothing new so we are fed up with it. 63 years old, getting old, career coming to an end, perhaps medical issues. There you go.

jetdauwgg
08-12-14, 11:28 AM
29, I don't know about that. I am talking about veterans in general here. The VA has many publicized issues regarding getting the right help for veterans.

Depression is a serious issue and coping with it is difficult for most people regardless of income as we see it played out again here. To me, no matter what, I have everything to live for.

FistFu68
08-12-14, 12:02 PM
Amen We all got our Own Cross 2 bare...In theory only I'd take somebody else's A$$ out 1st B 4 Offing Myself still any lose of a Human Being's A$$ because of this Disease is kinda Tragic :iwo:

29palms
08-12-14, 03:53 PM
29, I don't know about that. I am talking about veterans in general here. The VA has many publicized issues regarding getting the right help for veterans.

Depression is a serious issue and coping with it is difficult for most people regardless of income as we see it played out again here. To me, no matter what, I have everything to live for.
Point I was trying to make is, Robin William money, can afford some professional help, so can veterans for the most part, if you don't seek it, noone knows you have the problem.

William Hardy
08-12-14, 08:56 PM
Depression is a mental issue and like JD said, it has nothing to do with money, success, or any other external factor. A friend of mine said it like this:
Quote: "Robin Williams is a good example of the fact that an addicts brain will always lie. No matter how healthy he gets or how much treatment you go through your addict brain will convince you that you are worthless. Anyone that says depression and addiction is not a disease can **** off." Unquote.

I agree. It is a disease. I heard some saying that suicide is an act of a coward. I beg to differ. We tend to judge acts like this from different points of views. In France ciminals were once allowed to commit suicide to save their families the embarrassment of a public trial. In Japan the act of suicide was looked upon with honor and courage. When someone sacrifices one's life to save others, we call them a hero. Robin Williams and others like him are not cowards for taking their lives, they are so confused they don't know what to do. Depression is a serious disease and does not need to be cheapened by people using words like coward.

m14ed
08-13-14, 04:08 AM
Yesterday, 09:56 PM #10 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?118178-Robin-Williams-dies-Hollywood-s-comic-genius-is-found-dead-aged-63&p=962865&viewfull=1#post962865) William Hardy (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?60290-William-Hardy)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/leatherneck/statusicon/user-offline.png
.................................................. ...

Each of us have an opinion on where taking your life
puts you on the scale between coward or hero...

Maybe , after life, there is a real answer...
GoodLuck will be IF we ever find out ????

I keep shakin' my "Magic 8-ball"
but get no real clear answer....

Phantom Blooper
08-13-14, 05:30 AM
Maybe , after life, there is a real answer...
GoodLuck will be IF we ever find out ????Come back quick Ed and let us know!

ameriken
08-13-14, 11:43 AM
Fox News anchor Shepard Smith apologizes for calling Robin Williams a ‘coward’

The newsman used the word "coward" to describe Williams' suicide Monday, just hours after the 63-year-old was found dead. Smith apologized Tuesday, saying, "I would never presume to know anything about his private life."

BY DON KAPLAN (http://www.nydailynews.com/authors?author=Don%20Kaplan)
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 3:50 PM

Red-faced Fox News Channel anchor Shepard Smith callously branded Robin Williams “a coward” only hours after the actor committed suicide Monday.

“Something inside you is so horrible or you’re such a coward or whatever the reason that you decide that you have to end it. Robin Williams, at 63, did that today,” Smith said during his breaking news telecast.

Smith was referring to Williams’ final Instagram post two weeks ago, when to mark his daughter Zelda’s 25th birthday, he shared a photograph of himself with her on his lap when she was a baby.

“tbt and Happy Birthday to Ms. Zelda Rae Williams! Quarter of a century old today but always my baby girl. Happy Birthday@zeldawilliams Love you!” Williams captioned the picture.

Smith said during the broadcast, “One of the children he so loved, one of the children grieving tonight because their father killed himself in a fit of depression.”

Tuesday, Smith issued an apology for his poor choice of words.

“I would never presume to know anything about his private life. And if any of his family members and friends were to have seen me use the word ‘coward,’ I would be horrified,” Smith told the web site, Mediaite.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/fox-news-anchor-shepard-smith-apologizes-calling-robin-williams-coward-article-1.1901071#ixzz3AI7E0YY5

Baker1971
08-13-14, 04:15 PM
Prayers go out to his wife and 3 children, family and friends.