PDA

View Full Version : NC Veteran's Endorsement on Driver's License

al Shabazz
07-31-14, 10:51 AM
Semper fi, brothers.
I just got my NC driver's license today (well the temporary one until I get the real one). I read online that if you're a veteran and provide your DD-214 you can get a Veteran identifier on your license as well.

Does anyone know if this means anything special or is it just so people know I'm a veteran?

Mods: If this is in the wrong part of the forum, I humbly apologize.

ChuckH
07-31-14, 11:28 AM
CT has the same thing... sent in my 214 and for CT there will be an American Flag on the lic.
That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.
In other wards, it just shows you are a Veteran... at least here in CT.

al Shabazz
07-31-14, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured. I looked at the state's website and couldn't find anything else.

awbrown1462
07-31-14, 11:41 AM
show it here in Kentucky and get Veteran discounts in shops and restaurants

Lisa 23
07-31-14, 01:07 PM
I got mine in May of this year. This is what PA's driver's license looks like.....and you need a magnifying glass to read Veteran under the American flag, which is very tiny...about the size of your pinky fingernail.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/militaryCenter/veterans-designation.shtml

m14ed
07-31-14, 03:35 PM
They'll identify you as a Veteran on the Plates here in
Massachusetts as well,,,
BUT they'll cost you more each year than standard issue
re-newal plates....

Stick a small EGA and a ribbon on your vehicle.
We'll figure what YOU is,
where you went,
and what you did.

Phantom Blooper
07-31-14, 05:20 PM
Not only can you get discounts..you can also be identified if you have been pulled over and the police people are more cautious

al Shabazz
07-31-14, 05:31 PM
I guess for veteran discounts it's a lot easier to show my DL than take around a beat up copy of my DD-214. Same same with getting pulled over (but even though I'm 28, I drive like an old man and only ever been pulled over once for a speeding ticket I didn't deserve)

Apache
07-31-14, 09:14 PM
Active program in Ohio.
As stated-- identifier for LE
also something you can be proud of

I"think" this may be national---

Apache
07-31-14, 09:21 PM
Secondary thought---
It would be interesting to know if this started AFTER 2008 !

Part of a plan to identify probable subversives ?
It would fit in a grand plan---

m14ed
08-01-14, 04:31 AM
Secondary thought---
It would be interesting to know if this started AFTER 2008 !

Part of a plan to identify probable subversives ?
It would fit in a grand plan---

* GOOD thinking Marine !!!!!!
I wouldn't put it past anyone.

29palms
08-01-14, 09:43 AM
The little round sticker with the EGA is very cool looking on a car, but.....BUT .....I say again....any wannabe can put one on. I also see a a lot of those stickers that say "Proud...

29palms
08-01-14, 09:49 AM
Also, Massachusetts veteran's plates they put an active duty requirement to those plates, whereas in Texas and most other states, anyone with an honorable discharge, including in reserves or Guard...

SGT7477
08-02-14, 09:24 AM
We have had veteran thing here on the drivers license here in N.D. for quite sometime, as far as discounts the Marine Corps veteran hat and the ink I wear gets me by, Semper Fidelis.

29palms
08-02-14, 09:37 AM
I've known two guys at work that decided to get "Veteran" put on their driver's license. The one guy told me that one time he wanted to purchase a gun, and asked if he could get a discount if he was a veteran, but at the moment could not produce proof. That's why he got it put in his driver's license. He could have gotten a discount for that gun.
Secondly, the state of Texas will put "VETERAN" in red letters on a concealed handgun license. I don't know of any other state that does this. They do this automatically when you apply for a CHL with the veteran discounted fee. Only 25 dollars versus 140 bucks.

29palms
08-02-14, 09:45 AM
I got mine in May of this year. This is what PA's driver's license looks like.....and you need a magnifying glass to read Veteran under the American flag, which is very tiny...about the size of your pinky fingernail.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/militaryCenter/veterans-designation.shtml

It is interesting to see what different states do for a veteran's designator. Maine for example just puts stars behind the photograph. WHAT? I guess everyone has to figure that one out. Other states like Florida use the "V" letter on the license in red. Again, one has to figure that one out. In Texas, they put the word VETERAN but in the same color as the other writing. It doesn't stand out. Would have been nice if they could at least make it stand out more like in red lettering or something. Personally, I'd like to see it stamped across the driver's license in light red or something like that. Also, maybe put something like your branch of service. Like "Veteran USMC" "Veteran ARMY" "Veteran USN" 'Veteran USAF". OR......"Veteran U.S. Armed Forces".

FoxtrotOscar
08-02-14, 08:49 PM
For the record....

Veterans ID on Driver’s License or ID Card by State

Read more: http://militarybenefits.info/veterans-id-on-drivers-license-id-card-by-state/#ixzz39I0g5yPU

Reaper Guns
08-05-14, 12:51 PM
Here in KS they have done it pretty well. Veteran is in big, bold, red lettering just below the signature and picture. Stands out pretty well. However our Veterans plates need re-worked. I lived in MO for a little while and they do well by the veterans with decorations. Mine was personalized with a large CAR on it and the words "Combat Action Ribbon" on the bottom in red. I'm pretty bummed about having to give those up.

RichRich
08-05-14, 01:09 PM
My next DL in PA wil have the Veteran designation. Curious to see how it looks.

29palms
08-06-14, 01:51 PM
I think my tags today bailed me out of a speeding ticket. I had to get my badge updated today, with little to no notice due to an admin screw up, so I hit the gas pedal down the toll road. I caught...

RichRich
08-06-14, 02:18 PM
I was looking at these tags in my state. Think I'll get one. Need all the help I can get!