PDA

View Full Version : Marines or Airforce?

zwhite84
12-31-03, 12:53 PM
What are the pros and cons of each? Alos, what would be best for my family? WHich one ranks faster? Thanks!

Shooter
12-31-03, 01:13 PM
Who wants to be in the air force? Rank is obtained by proficiency and conduct ratings for the most part. Keep squared away and you will make rank quickly. Air force? Please... Semper Fi !!!!!

YankeeDoodleAsh
12-31-03, 02:43 PM
Shooter took the words right out of my mouth.
Sadly, I have heard of some Marines going Army to "earn" rank faster.

USMC-FO
12-31-03, 03:38 PM
Go air force son, because if you even have to ask the questions you have indicates to me you're not cut from the same cloth as Marines need to be cut from. We are profoundly different than the other services in ways that simply cannot be explained here. You should have known that coming in here.

Good luck to you.

Phantom Blooper
12-31-03, 04:51 PM
When the Navy secures a building, they turn out the lights and lock the hatches.
When the Army secures a building, they post sentries and check I.D. cards.
When the Marines secure a building, they call in air strikes and assault through the objective using fire and close combat.
When the Air Force secures a building, they get a 4 year lease with the option for 4 more years.
:marine: zwhite84 No branch of the military is going to keep you home with your wife and family.If you choose to make the military service a life for the three or four years you will have to suck up deployments and time away from your beloved. Whatever road you choose you will be in a military enviroment and on call to the Marines 24/7-365/366 and the rest of the branches 3/4-1/2-1/4 of the time. On a serious note you have to make up your mind on what YOU want to do for YOU and YOUR family,but coming into a US Marine Corps site and asking about the Air Force or Army you need to back up and regroup. The reason the US Navy was not mentioned was because not that PC BS dribble about the "Department" but because the US Marine Corps trains some of the finest corpsman to be with us in our time of need! Think about your decision carefully,only you can make that decision.However if you are asking I would say to you again suck it up and become a US Marine:marine: Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall

TracGunny
12-31-03, 05:20 PM
Are you joining to serve your country, or are you joining for a "family welfare" program.

Go Air Force, and heed USMC-FO's words... best of luck for you and your family in all your future endeavors.

Sparrowhawk
12-31-03, 05:39 PM
I'll help you fill out the forms...

Chain Breaker
01-02-04, 05:23 PM
My Dad has been in the Air force for 20+ years. He had this to say.

"In the last 20 years I have been deployed over 20 times at least once a year, any my family has been well taken care of. But any military branch with good NCOs will do the same. I how ever agree with Phantom Blooper if you had to ask you should not have asked on a USMC web board."

He then said jokingly.

"And if this guy can't make up his mind between the two the Air Force don't need him either."

jfreas
01-02-04, 08:34 PM
If ya want to sleep on clean white sheets everynight join the Air Force.

R_Konieczko
01-02-04, 09:10 PM
I enlisted in the Marines for a variety of reasons. Gaining rank wasn't one of them, which is why I refuse to take my recruiter up on his offer about finding more recruits and earning PFC rank.

Anyway, if you want educational ops, more money, easier lifestyle, etc etc.. Go air force.

If you want to go to war, join the Marines.

Caesar Augustus
01-07-04, 10:04 AM
Plus if you find quality people who serve the Corps to the best of their ability then you did something for the betterment of the Corps. There's nothing wrong with reaping the benefits. If the higher ups in the Marines think you deserve a promotion then by all means take it and enjoy it. I think they know what they're doing:D

airframesguru
01-07-04, 10:35 AM
IF you really have to ask.... I think your mind is already made up

Super Dave
01-07-04, 10:43 AM
A good Southern Baptist church camp is harder than the Air Farce. (NOT misspelled). Like many have said id you have to ask maybe you should ge to the Air Farce.
You WILL never understand the pride of being a Marine and being a Brother of EVERY Marine that have ever worn the uniform. We are the keeper and protector of America's freedom.

Kurt Stover
01-07-04, 04:34 PM
Oh...Oh Me, my turn! As a civillian you can weigh the choice of one or the other if those are the two you wish to look at. Other than my dad serving 27 + years in the Air Force, I don't know that much as far as operational concerns. However, I have worked with some of the most undisciplined, ungreatful and whiney @ssed people that I have ever witnessed that served in the military that came from the Air Force.

The Marine Corps is hard, it was meant to be. If it was easy, then everybody would be a Marine. There are Air Force people that are good Airmen and are the high quality folk you'd want to have come over and mow your lawn and maybe dust your furniture. It's all in what you think you can handle. PLEEEEEASE do not join and then find out that it wasn't what you wanted.

Make a descion and if there is any doubt, go Air Force, Aim High and all that other stuff. Good Luck.

TracGunny
01-07-04, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by R_Konieczko
I enlisted in the Marines for a variety of reasons. Gaining rank wasn't one of them, which is why I refuse to take my recruiter up on his offer about finding more recruits and earning PFC rank.

Anyway, if you want educational ops, more money, easier lifestyle, etc etc.. Go air force.

DO NOT grab any schmuck you know and talk them into enlisting to earn a promotion...

DO find hard-charging individuals to join that you would not mind sharing a fighting hole with in the heat of combat.

If you earn a pair of 'skeeter wings' in the process, all the better and wear 'em proud. I am curious; is that the real reason you do not wish to assist the Recruiter?

Sixguns
01-07-04, 06:21 PM
Air Force has to take academic tests for promotions. Essentially, you don't have to be able to do the job well, just know the text book answers to a test and you can get promoted. Also, the Air Force will allow you to go to 20 years service as an E-5 and retire. Do you think promotions are slow???

I could go on, and on, but I won't. The Air Force has the same quality of applicants (ASVAB Test scores and H.S. graduates) as the Marine Corps. But that's as close as they come to being any sort of competition. The recruiting slogan they were using "Nobody comes close" applied to all the other services EXCEPT the Marine Corps. They know they can never compete with Dress Blues, tough training and a proud history and tradition that is more than two centuries old.

PLEASE!!! WHOEVER EVEN TRIED TO COMPARE THE TWO NEEDS TO HAVE THEIR HEAD EXAMINED.

Sixguns

FLORESJ
01-07-04, 07:22 PM
If you wish to call the Warrior beside you, by their first name join the Air Force, I f you wish to be surrounded by a Band of Brothers, join the Marine Corps. As for Rank, The true leaders are noticed.

Chain Breaker
01-08-04, 12:38 PM
WHAT MAKES A MARINE A MARINE <br />
<br />
<br />
Ask a Marine what's so special about the Marines and the answer would be &quot;esprit de corps&quot;, an unhelpful French phrase that means exactly what it looks like - the...

R_Konieczko
01-08-04, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by TracGunny

DO NOT grab any schmuck you know and talk them into enlisting to earn a promotion...

DO find hard-charging individuals to join that you would not mind sharing a fighting hole with in the heat of combat.

If you earn a pair of 'skeeter wings' in the process, all the better and wear 'em proud. I am curious; is that the real reason you do not wish to assist the Recruiter?

Well, the way I'm looking at it is this; If I am to earn rank in the Marines, I don't want my first promotion to be just because I found two bodies. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I can understand that I'm doing the Marine Corps a service by finding two more motivated and dedicated individuals to join the ranks, but.. *shrugs* It just comes down to the fact that something doesn't feel right to me.

I'm always looking for people to join though, but not because I want a promotion.

Phantom Blooper
01-08-04, 05:32 PM
This is a statement from a famous person about Marines!!!!!!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. THANK GOD FOR THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS!!!"

---Statement by Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm happy to say that I represent that remark!!!!

:marine: :marine: Semper Fidelis Chuck Hall

Mudwalker
01-09-04, 11:58 PM
If you have to ask then don't join the Marines. If you were meant to be a Marine you wouldn't have to ask.

This quote is posted in our workspace:

"Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it were some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshiping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet."

An Aninymous Canadian Citizen

Sender
01-10-04, 12:25 AM
I remember one day when the Recruiter called my house and asked, "Do you still want to be a Marine?", my reply, " Hell yea" The thing about it is this, I knew I wanted to be a Marine and so did a lot of other Marines. Sometimes you just know.

OUTLAW
01-16-04, 05:21 PM
PFC OUTLAW HERE...LIKE LCPL SUPER DAVE SAID...YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE PRIDE MARINES HAVE...WE HAVE NO TIME FOR SECOND GUESSING IN MY CORPS..IT'S DO OR DIE...IF ALL YOU ARE CONSERNED ABOUT IS RANK AND BENIFITS THAN YOUR WRONG...THE MARINE CORPS MEANS MUCH MORE THAN THAT...SEMPER FI!!!

jdh091284
01-18-04, 02:53 PM
There's two ways of looking at it.

First, because you're even considering the Air Force, you don't have what it takes to be a Marine.

Second, because you're even considering the Marines, you might have what it takes to be a Marine.

But I'll say this. I looked at all the services before I joined, and I -KNOW- that if I'd joined the AF and seen a Marine, I would have thought, "Man...I wish that could have been me." The Marines just have that aura around them. So think about that. Would you regret not taking the most difficult road? Cue Robert Frost.

In boot camp, when we were six weeks in, we joked (very quietly, when the DI's were far away) that we'd just graduated AF boot camp. Then when we were twelve weeks in we joked (maybe a hair louder, when the DIs were only one or two miles off) that now we were the equivalent of two Air Force people. Then on Grad Day, we realized that dang it, we were the best there was, and we were so proud.

I'm getting sentimental, but I remember that day clearer than any other...my point with this is, I don't think any airman will be able to have the same pride, the same feeling of accomplishment that I had after boot camp. Would I have had that in the Air Force? I doubt it.

Think long and hard. It is -hard- and it is -painful- but if you can make it...it'd beyond words.

Okay, enough rambling.

PS: My skeeter wings were for TIG...couldn't for the life of me find even one other guy at my school who was willing to enlist.

Das Behaelter
01-26-04, 01:59 AM
I can't understand why someone would come to a website stocked with jarheads and ask what the finer points are to enlisting in the Air Force. You want a con of the Air Force? Here's one... they are not the Marine Corps.

If you don't mind living in the dirt, covered in rock, rain, or snow, and taking the high-life in condemned Navy barracks, then the Marine Corps is for you.

If the idea of HRST, or hanging out of a helo buckled to a rope is incomprehensible, then the Marine Corpse isn't for you.

If the thought of having the ability to shoot a man from 500 yards without a scope in the pron position with 100% accuracy doesn't thrill you, then you definitely don't belong in the Corps.

If the first thing that comes to mind when you think of joining the military is "should I join the Air Force?"...well, stay away from the Corps.

We are the policemen of the earth, on air, land, and sea. There is NOTHING finer than that.

Monica
01-26-04, 03:34 PM
MY MOS school was at Lackland AFB. Home of AF recruit training. I remember standing in PT formation watching the AF "students" in their uniforms stand by while some civilian loaded their packs onto the equivalent of a tour bus. This is their definition of a hump!

I wouldn't trade any of the callouses or blisters I got from any of our humps for that kind of training EVER. I earned my blues, my rank, and the title, and worked hard for it. That's all I wanted to get out of it.

Toby M
01-26-04, 04:21 PM
Back in '67 when the Judge politely asked me to become a member of our military, (with-in 6 months) I seriously considered the Air Force, then the Navy and finally, the Army. I was looking for training and education since I had very little and had been asked to leave my last high school a bit early. I finally managed to get an appointment with an Army recruiter but I arrived a few minutes early. A Marine Corps recruiter standing in the hall in his dress blues (up to this point, I hadn't even considered the Marines because I figured they only took real men) began talking to me. He asked a few questions, treated me with some respect and gave me some information. He didn't promise anything. Rather, he made it plain that if I made it through boot camp, it would only get harder from there and I would in all likelyhood, go to a place called Viet Nam.
Well, needless to say, that nowhere road I was heading on that would have eventually lead to prison, changed my direction in life. What little pride I had changed dramatically. My entire life has moved in a positive direction. I recently retired after over 25 years in law enforcement (an unlikely feat had my life not gone in the direction it did that day)
My former wife used to razz me about not being "a Marine" anymore so I didn't have to shine my shoes or cut my hair so short. I couldn't explain such a way of life...
Sorry to drag this on but if you want to make a serious change in your life. If you need some discipline and direction, the answer is obvious. If you just need someone to pay for your college or future, the other branches provide some excellent part time work in exchange...

namgrunt
02-13-04, 01:03 AM
zwhite84
If you want to serve, go Air Force. You can join the reserves, and only have to serve shorttime each year, except in emergency situations (like Iraq).

If you go Marines, you will find yourself in the middle of flying objects, but it is unlikely you would be piloting any of them. The middle of a battlefield is no place to discover you don't want to do grunt stuff. Men will be counting on you doing your job to achieve the mission. Their lives will be in your hands, and visa versa. Its a heavy responsibility, not a financial choice.

Consider this. If you already registered with the local board at 18, you could just stay in civilian life, and make the most of the options there. As long as you are registered, you will be able to get work in fields involved in government work and contracts.
In the event of a national emergency, you might still be called up. If you have gotten a civilian job which is vital to National Security, you could even "serve" by remaining at your job.

There won't be any medals or parades, but you would still have the satisfaction of helping your country, and that should be enough ...along with your IRA, KEOGH, Stocks and Bonds, Proxies, Health plans, College Funds, and whatever else you pursue privately. Go for what you feel works for you.

Chainbreaker!
Well done, young man! Good research discovery. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your entry. Sgt Nick Sparacino has a good command of words. Read them! Reread them. Remember them. He speaks truth!

Sgt. Sparacino's words only cover one battle in one war. We have protected this nation for over 228 years, and through a multitude of battles. You will learn who Lt. Presley O'Bannon was, what he accomplished, and his contribution to modern day Marine Officers' Dress Blue uniforms.

You will learn about the most memorable photograph ever taken in this country's history, when the 28th Marines raised the colors on Mt. Surabachi, on the Island of Iwo Jima, on 23 February, 1945. The [Army] Air Force was so happy to have us there, that they started landing crippled B-29 bombers, returning from Japan, before the battle was even half over.

You'll learn about the men who took the highroad to Bagdad. My old outfit, F/2/5, partook in the drive from Kuwait. I wrote the C.O. and told him of my support and and my pride for he and his men. It was United States Marines who freed the seven Army captives from the ambush of the 507th support company. Each day is a history lesson in the Corps.

In the snow of far off northern lands,
And in sunny tropic scenes,
You will always find us on the job-
The United States Marines.

Carry on!

Semper Fi!
namgrunt

usmc4669
02-13-04, 08:20 AM
I read most of the replies, some good some well what ever. First what is your reason to go Air Force, to become a fighter pilot, work on aircraft, maybe a gunner on a helicopter; if this is why you want to go Air Force then the Marines is the place for you, Marine Air is a hell of a lot better than the Air Force. More pride, we are a closely knitted family, a real band of Brothers. I live in an Air Force town, Abilene, TX B-I bomber base. I know a lot of Air Force Service men, my neighbor is a Maj. not half the pride of the Air Force that a Marine Corps Maj has.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 12:44 PM
I have a brother in law that has been in the airforce (chairforce) forever. He is actually a Major now, its funny, but you have to stop and think of what you want to get out of the military.. If you dont want to get much go airforce, if you want a whole new way of life and understanding GO MARINES. that should not be a decision that is that hard to make.

lprkn
01-13-05, 02:03 PM
Ah, the Air Force. A fine alternative to military service.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 02:04 PM
like i have stated about the airforce before..
Aint
In
Real
Forces
Only
Representing
Civilian
Employment

JAG5150
01-13-05, 02:40 PM
How do you even compare the Corps to the airforce, are they even considered military? What kind of ridiculous question is that, may as well ask Marines or civilian life.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 02:45 PM
LOL.. that is what my above post is pretty much saying.. I guess those that have to ask the question to begin with are not Marine material.

Namvet67
01-13-05, 02:57 PM
Damn...got in late on this one. Airforce or Marines? Night and day...black and white...up and down..left and right..thick and thin..good and bad..republican and democrat..vw and caddy..football and baseball..homo and hetero..male and female...Sparrowhawk and Shaffer. I think you get the idea! Semper Fi

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 03:00 PM
Yup I got the idea ghere gbudd.. You are totally right on all aspects of that post..

garryh123
01-13-05, 04:05 PM
I remember watching air farce pukes tryin to launch F-4's when I was in Yuma....took 5 of them to do the job of 1 Marine Plane Captain....we all used to hang around and point and laugh at the idiots....then when they weren't lookin we would "aquire"minor yet "essential" equipment from them! LOL

JAG5150
01-13-05, 04:21 PM
I am appauled, a Marine aquireing equipment from other than the proper procedural way, I would have never guessed. LOL

garryh123
01-13-05, 04:35 PM
I was sooooo filled with shame! LOL

Fred Pfeiffer
01-13-05, 05:05 PM
Did anybody notice when this thread started?

December 2003 !!

This poolie has probably joined the Air Force by now.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the time that has passed.

Semper Fi

Ed Palmer
01-13-05, 05:21 PM
Ya know the canadians have the right idea about it up there they call it the Air Farce> We used to get the program on sat-tv it was called The Canadian Air Farce. And to watch it and think about our Air Farce
(not mispelled) they are quite similar.

Namvet67
01-13-05, 05:24 PM
Fm89 got it started back up again...but you are right Fred, it was 2003...I e-mailed the poolie just for kicks...who knows, he may be a Marine?

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 06:05 PM
Hey what can I say.. I am sick and cant read.. Its all my fault.... OHHH well..

SuNmAN
01-17-05, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by R_Konieczko

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must be outside your mind.

First of all this is a time of war and the Marine Corps needs bodies, so finding 2 people who are willing to enlist is you doing a service to your Corps and country.

2nd of all a PFC gets paid roughly $200 more a month than a Private (I especially knew because I was a PRIVATE) and that really adds up, especailly since we don't get paid that much.

3rd of all, if you're a Private, you get PFC anyway in 6 months automatically (barring a non-rec or an NJP in your books) so you won't be earning that rank anyway, it will be GIVEN to you for time in grade.

The only way I know of for you to "earn" PFC (get it meritoriously) is to graduate as company, series or platoon honorman or squadleader in boot camp, or be an outstanding recruit in general without holding a leadership billet.

OR

Be the honor grad at your MOS school (thats what I did), but by then you'll be PFC anyway so your promotion would be to LCpl.

I honestly think what you jsut said was the most absurd thing I've heard in a long long time.

hrscowboy
01-17-05, 09:33 PM
hey i always thought the airforce had the right idea from the get go they sent there officers to fight and the enlisted stayed behind. hahaha

seandayley
01-17-05, 09:42 PM
You can receive a meritorious promotion to PFC by bringing in extra people for the Corps. You can also receive "advanced" rank by having JROTC (two years), being an Eagle Scout, or being your recruiters buddy. It can also help to have college credits under your belt, so that you get more points toward your cutting score.

GunnyL
01-17-05, 10:17 PM
My Father is Retired Air Force, after working with some Marine Corps Plane Captains at Seymore Johnson AFB one day he made this remark to me. "Give me 5 Good Marine Corps Plane Captains and I'll give you the Number One Maintenance Squadron in the Air Force, Hands Down!" Marines just do it better!

God Bless the Air Force, just don't let them fly close air support while I'm on the Ground!

Semper Fi,

GunnyL

Patty_McOorah
01-18-05, 04:16 AM
Being in the Air Deffense Field, I work a lot with the Air Force in Joint Service Operations. There were 5 airmen to do the same job that I did. It was insane, and not one of them knew how to help the other one out with his duties.

seandayley
01-18-05, 07:48 AM
While in Operation Eager Mace, Kuwait 99', I had a Fire Team Leader who was a prior Fly Boy. He told us that while in the Air Force he was taught that he had to keep his job so that it was not taken by the next guy in line. He told us that you would not give your all in to training the new guys, so you would always shine. This was the reason he fell in love with the Marine Corps, Marines train our young Devil Dogs to assume our job as quickly as possible, this is one of primary jobs of NCOs, SNCOs, and officers. That is how we shine. And boy do we ever shine. SEMPER FI...

SuNmAN
01-19-05, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by seandayley
You can receive a meritorious promotion to PFC by bringing in extra people for the Corps. You can also receive "advanced" rank by having JROTC (two years), being an Eagle Scout, or being your recruiters buddy. It can also help to have college credits under your belt, so that you get more points toward your cutting score.

I was under the impression that the above made you a contract PFC, not meritorious...can anyone explain?

LivinSoFree
01-19-05, 09:56 PM
You are correct. It's a contract PFC... which makes a difference, because your TiG in that case is computed from your PEBD, so you're 3 months ahead of the curve for LCpl promotion, as opposed to meritorious PFCs, whose rank is awarded on grad day.

MelloYello
01-20-05, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Today I found out that my friend's boyfriend wants to join but is a little nervous about speaking to a recuriter. So I got his name and all from her and I plan on giving to my recuriter tomorrow when I see him.

That will be my 2nd guy. See I don't look at it as a free Promotion. My first guy was debating on becoming a Ranger. I told him if he wanted to be Elite to join the Marines. 3 weeks later he told me he was Joining the Marines. My words hit him hard and I didn't say much.

But by getting him to Join I do get one step closer to become a PFC. Well guess what..He has gotten two guys to join already and in March is getting his 3rd guy(Free Dress Blues).

See by getting him to join he has got 3 guys to join. Its like a Chain reaction. If you want to do the Marines justice you would talk to people about joining.

Just don't look at it like ohh free Promotion. You do earn it by getting someone to join.

Poolee Thomason

cajunguy
01-20-05, 09:27 PM
Join the Air Farce and earn mucho rank and get lotsa medals.

"No one comes close." :yes:

http://vampirebat.com/war/_airforcejobs.wmv

yellowwing
01-21-05, 12:00 AM
I briefly looked into the other services before joining. To tell the truth if I only wanted pure state of art the training, I would have gone Air Force.

If I wanted decent techinical training while scrubbing rust and paint, I would have gone Navy. The old original Saturday Night Live show had a great gag, on the then Navy Recruiting sound track super-imposed on actual footage of the Brooklyn Naval Yard seaman on sh*t work details.

It didn't take long to chaff the army.

But the Marines. The very idea that not everyone could join the Corps, that's what got my signature. When the ASVAB came back the Recruiter asked, "What kind of job do you want?" I answered, "I don't know, what's available?" He answered, "What ever you want." For some reason I blurted out in 1982 , "Something in computers?"

Yeah, I got trained on antique hand me down systems that no one used anymore, but I became part of the lifelong Brotherhood.

Master Sephiroth
02-03-05, 10:56 AM
This brings the question of why our Military, the best ****ing military in the world is so divided.

1shot1kill
02-03-05, 11:38 AM
Once A Marine, Always a Marine.

IEF/OIF
SF

02-05-05, 07:49 PM
If you have to ask... well, everybodys said that and I agree. But, if you want a real sense of pride and accomplishment, you'll get that when you get that Eagle, Globe and Anchor and when your called "Marine" for the first time.

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 01:40 AM
The pros about joining the corp is being able to earn the tittle "MARINE." People hear that and their instantly fascinated with you. As for your family I think the corp is better. As a Marine and former military brat I had to say that it was an awesome experience growing up around Marine Corp families. It only enhanced my values and morals. As far as rank is concerned it's better to earn the rank instead of having it given to you. It means more to you that way. The promotion cermony is very emotional and everyone know that you earned it. If you're mean't to be one of the few you'll know!

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 01:43 AM
Semper FI