PDA

View Full Version : Reenlisting.

USMC 2571
07-03-14, 03:52 PM
I don't want this to be another "when I was in the Corps" type of thread, but I am wondering about something, and have been, over the years.

Years ago, if you wanted to stay in for 20, and you had compiled a good record for yourself, you could stay in.
It was a given, absent any involvement with NJP and the like.

But over the years, with downsizing and increased competition, I don't think a Marine can stay in for a career just because he or she wants to.

It seems this way. Is this the way it is, that no one can PLAN with any certainty of making it a career?

Tennessee Top
07-03-14, 10:20 PM
I believe you're right. It's pretty much a numbers game and boils down to boatspaces in one's MOS. Making a lateral move into an underpopulated MOS is a possibility but not something one can plan/bet on. The USMC has already deactivated a few infantry battalions, artillery batteries, and aviation squadrons with more to come. A lot of combat experience is walking out the door. In the past when this has happened (WWI, WWII, Korea), a big war soon followed...one would think we would learn our lesson.

MunkyVsRobot
07-04-14, 09:23 AM
I like it and i hate it.

I hate it because even if I do everything i am supposed to do and perform at or above the level recommended i may still not be able to re-enlist.

I like it because that means if you suck and just didnt get in trouble during your 4-5 year stint you may not be able to re-enlist opening boat spaces for those who have earned those boat spaces and come in and work our butts off for those spaces.

its the same way i see the VERP program if you want to get out, get the F out I want to be in and that is a promotion or a boat space that I could have once you are out of the way. Im not trying to be a dick about it but it is really the truth.

USMC 2571
07-04-14, 09:37 AM
Fully agree---those who want to hit the road, get your bags packed, making room for those who are serious about this stuff--absolutely.

USMC 2571
07-04-14, 09:38 AM
One safeguard when I was in, and I'm sure it still applies now, is that svhitbirds did not want to reenlist in the first place, so they were gone after discharge date anyway. They weeded themselves...

BGW
07-05-14, 05:06 PM
The problem isn't really the first termers or perhaps even the second termers. It those Marines who been in for 20 to 25 years or even more that refuse to get out. And what happens? MOS's get back clogged, meaning its harder to pick up in your specific MOS when it rates a limited amount of SNCO's.

You have to be a Staff Sargent by the time you reach your 10 year mark. Sargents cant pick up in their MOS because the Staff Sargents cant pick up to Gunnies and Gunnies cant pick up to the next level because all those E-8's stay in as long as they possibly can.

Picking up as a corporal or Sargent isn't to difficult seeing as its all about cutting scores. Not to say that some MOS's don't have it harder then others.

Also the VEERP was a wonderful creation, may it continue to exist for future generations.

USMC 2571
07-05-14, 05:29 PM
Thank you.

josephd
07-06-14, 05:20 PM
The problem isn't really the first termers or perhaps even the second termers. It those Marines who been in for 20 to 25 years or even more that refuse to get out. And what happens? MOS's get back clogged, meaning its harder to pick up in your specific MOS when it rates a limited amount of SNCO's.

You have to be a Staff Sargent by the time you reach your 10 year mark. Sargents cant pick up in their MOS because the Staff Sargents cant pick up to Gunnies and Gunnies cant pick up to the next level because all those E-8's stay in as long as they possibly can.

Picking up as a corporal or Sargent isn't to difficult seeing as its all about cutting scores. Not to say that some MOS's don't have it harder then others.

Also the VEERP was a wonderful creation, may it continue to exist for future generations.

^this^

my $.02....

I think with the caliber of SNCO's we have coming up now(Marines who joined in 03-05 time frame that have alot of experience) the Corps needs to start booting some of these extremely salty Gunnies, Tops/1st shirts, and some Sgts.Major/MstrGunz who have been around since the 80's. I know of a few friends personally that are Staff and Gunnies that have a ton of experience, college degrees, and are well rounded people that know how to handle, lead, train, and discipline Marines. The sad part is they are all going to get out because they are tired of the politics that come with the rank and dealing higher ups BS when that higher up doesn't have any real experience dealing with junior marines in this generation(OIF/OEF Marines).

That was the biggest reason I reenlisted, the sense of obligation to my juniors to mitigate some of the crap that rolls down hill and to properly train them on things they really need to know. Not some of this garbage that the Corps is trying to shove down our throats.

Tennessee Top
07-07-14, 10:45 AM
The politics and BS from higher-ups will never go away - it all comes along with advancing in one's career. Some deal with it better than others and many just get out (only to find the same exists in the civilian world - I THOUGHT there was a lot of BS in the USMC till I retired and then went into the healthcare business!).

josephd
07-07-14, 02:44 PM
The politics and BS from higher-ups will never go away - it all comes along with advancing in one's career. Some deal with it better than others and many just get out (only to find the same exists in the civilian world - I THOUGHT there was a lot of BS in the USMC till I retired and then went into the healthcare business!).

hahaha...very true....my point comes from the fact that we have very capable NCO's and SNCO's with a lot of experience and capability being forced out because of the numbers and not being able to promote

29palms
07-07-14, 03:38 PM
Well, lets see here. What are the actual percentages that join the Marine Corps and go on to do 20? Like 10 percent? (If that?) Those not doing 20 can't all be considered ****birds. Maybe more like "Let's take our chances elsewhere of maybe doing better for ourselves". I don't know if many surpass that level of accomplishment from the days of serving in the Marine Corps, but I know I did.

BGW
07-07-14, 09:55 PM
I dont remember the exact statistics but it pretty much goes down like this. Most Marines get out in the first 4 years for what ever reasons. Then a little bit more get out after their 8 years. After that most everyone stays in. Whats the point of doing more then four years if your not going for the retirement?

29palms
07-13-14, 12:52 PM
Most that don't want anything to do with the Corps get out in the first hitch. Not a matter of being **** birds. Just career choice. First hitchers don't want to play that game. When a private gets married, suddenly is facing re-enlisting or getting out, .....NO MONEY, NO HONEY effect takes control. So BAM......LIFER in the making. Got someone to do you underwear for you.

USMC 2571
07-13-14, 12:59 PM
Read post 5 again. It mentions svhitbirds as only ONE safeguard against everyone trying to stay in who initially joins.

29palms
07-13-14, 01:09 PM
Oh, sorry, nothing directed about your post seriously. Maybe I have a bit of a self conscious. I may have probably been a **** bird myself. Could have probably made some better decisions.

Baker1971
07-13-14, 05:54 PM
:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
07-13-14, 06:21 PM
I loved reenlisting....got to see the world and get laid!

Baker1971
07-13-14, 06:28 PM
:thumbup::) a lot. lol...

29palms
07-13-14, 09:37 PM
I loved reenlisting....got to see the world and get laid!

Clap free I hope.......

USMC 2571
07-13-14, 09:45 PM
Yeah---no one applauded when Bloop got laid.

Baker1971
07-14-14, 04:23 PM
A drip here , a drip there. Nothing a shot wouldn't cure or the " Silver Stallion " :sick:
These days your junk could fall off or you die from aids...

Phantom Blooper
07-14-14, 04:35 PM
Damn this thread went south.....nothing new...but something to clap about! Might need to get me a Thunder Shirt....to keep my thighs from clapping together.

USMC 2571
07-14-14, 04:51 PM
I GOT NO LAUGHS ABOUT POST 20---I thought it was hilarious...oh well, serves me right for laughing at my own jokes.

Phantom Blooper
07-14-14, 04:53 PM
yeah---no one applauded when bloop got laid.rotflmao!

USMC 2571
07-14-14, 04:56 PM
There we go---a solicited laugh, but a laugh nonetheless.

Baker1971
07-15-14, 08:49 AM
Hahahahaha !!! I'm laughing and clapping :) No pun there...