PDA

View Full Version : Should MCT Be Right After Boot Camp?

USMC 2571
07-01-14, 06:03 AM
I have no personal stake in how this question is answered, having joined up in 1963.

But over the years here I've seen where many were worried about loss of motivation for starting MCT because of the 10 day leave immediately after MCRD.

And it makes sense to me that any Marine would hardly look forward to MCT after a nice ten days of complete leisure, permanently away from the drill instructor.

So I wondered, some time ago, what folks think about how it would be if MCT immediately followed boot camp.

At one time it DID. We "outposted" straight non-stop from Parris Island to Camp Geiger (part of Lejeune) for 6 weeks of Advanced Infantry Training, then went home for 10 days before reporting to MOS school.

We were therefore motivated and "in the mood"----more so than if we had been home for 10 days just before that additional training

irpat54
07-01-14, 09:16 AM
at first my thoughts were, no take leave first, but then after reading what you posted, I am incline to agree with your assessment, and I think it would be a great idea, and as soon as I become President,(stop laughing) I will suggest to the Commandant to do just that.. but as for me being President? don't hold your breath...LOL

but seriously, I think it would be a good idea, like I said as first I thought no, but then after reading your post, I think it would be a good idea..

Baker1971
07-01-14, 09:19 AM
Take the leave, see family and friends and get laid.

USMC 2571
07-01-14, 10:01 AM
Pat and Jimmy---good to hear from you guys again.

First, a couple of years back I got 3 or 4 PMs from guys here who had just graduated MCRD and worried "about losing the motivation necessary for MCT" after going home for 10 days prior to MCT. So that's what started me thinking about this.

Second, If someone can't get laid prior to going home, something's wrong somewhere. LOL.

Baker1971
07-01-14, 10:03 AM
Hahahaha. Good one Dave.

FistFu68
07-01-14, 10:12 AM
HaHaHaHaHa...

USMC 2571
07-01-14, 10:15 AM
Think about it. Three or four Marines in Jacksonville, outside wonderful interesting Camp Lejeune, carousing, drinking all night, just about to get into a conversation with some of the local members of the opposite sex and one of the guys says "No thanks, fellas, can't join you, I gotta wait til I go home on leave for that stuff".

EastofWest18
07-01-14, 05:43 PM
Think about it. Three or four Marines in Jacksonville, outside wonderful interesting Camp Lejeune, carousing, drinking all night, just about to get into a conversation with some of the local members of the opposite sex and one of the guys says "No thanks, fellas, can't join you, I gotta wait til I go home on leave for that stuff".

At modern MCT you don't have any contact with active duty personnel (other than your instructors) unless they post you to the Security Guard (roaming 24/7 firewatch teams to keep people there longer for individuals in MOS that have overbooked schools). That won't be a problem.

I feel that the boot leave for MCT does something important. It gives the Corps a chance to send people home and go UA or smoke pot or do something else stupid that gets discovered before the Corps spends a ton of money training them any further. Boot camp is expensive, but the fact is that the rest of our training is crazy expensive. Take Communications school. Everyone, including wire dogs, are now taught computer code by AD Marines and contractors both while waiting training and during their courses. This costs a lot of money, and is not a sole example. Give them 10 days to determine if they want it or not.

USMC 2571
07-01-14, 05:50 PM
That was just a digression re Camp Lejeune in general, in response to Jimmy (Baker1971) advising them to go home and "get laid". Like they could only do that in their hometowns.

You make a good point, though, about the 10 days also serving as another screening process----never thought of it that way.

USMC 2571
07-01-14, 05:58 PM
East of West: Do you think there's anything to what I said earlier about going straight from boot camp to MCT---because:

1. A MCRD graduate is already in a training mindset.
2 Momentum---already been trained. Head up to MCT and keep the motivation and momentum going.
3. Then 10 days leave prior to MOS school.

And I'm thinking primarily about the new Marine's mindset and momentum, not throwing this out there at all just because we in fact went straight to Geiger for 8 weeks after 13 at Parris Island.

josephd
07-01-14, 06:34 PM
Straight to MCT in my opinion but have MCT less condensed/longer and give the students a chance to have more liberties(like ITB). Train hard each day like they should and will in the fleet but secure each night and let them relax a bit

USMC 2571
07-01-14, 07:02 PM
Agreed.......

Kegler300
07-01-14, 07:48 PM
Yep, while they're still highly disciplined and in the training mode.

Phantom Blooper
07-01-14, 08:37 PM
Kegler300
Yep, while they're still highly disciplined and in the training mode.
Yep before they get laid and want to go get some more!

EastofWest18
07-01-14, 08:55 PM
I think you make a very valid point, but I personally disagree with it being a better way to do things. <br />
<br />
MCRD graduates have a recruit mindset. When my Platoon lost final drill our SDI sat us down...

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 06:04 AM
Thanks. It's always good to talk about various things----I don't care if or how things change, I'm just throwing out a couple of ideas, is all.

Looks to me, from what I've read, that MCT kind of resembles the Advanced Infantry Training we went thru right after boot camp, but is nowadays naturally much more involved and technologically advanced. But, some things never completely change, which is a good thing.

Baker1971
07-02-14, 07:42 AM
That was just a digression re Camp Lejeune in general, in response to Jimmy (Baker1971) advising them to go home and "get laid". Like they could only do that in their hometowns.

You make a good point, though, about the 10 days also serving as another screening process----never thought of it that way.

What I was trying to say was now you graduated Boot Camp. Go home, unwind, see family and friends, your boyfriend/girlfriend have good time with them like you did before you left. Reflect on the things ahead, visit your recruiter. Go see a movie, whatever, then get your head screwed on straight and ship off.

Most these days need the downtime in between and if it affects the motivation process and they can't or won't get from point A ( Home ) to point B on their own, cut em loose cause we don't need babysitters helping them to arrive or sh*tbirds in my Marine Corps.

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 07:57 AM
I understand, Jimmy---I guess I just figured that the two or three newly graduated Marines who specifically told me they were worried about losing their motivation BECAUSE of the 10 days at home---I could see their point.....

But like anything else, there are pros and cons, and room for disagreement.

Personally, I figure, get up to MCT then go home prior to MOS school...not because we did it that way but because, well, you're already there mentally....I can imagine going home then going to Camp Geiger for 6 more weeks of training----

Phantom Blooper
07-02-14, 08:03 AM
I still vote for going home and getting laid..............

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 08:04 AM
hahahhahaha-----

Baker1971
07-02-14, 08:07 AM
Dirty Dog, hahahahaha. A Marine is a Marine :thumbup: