PDA

View Full Version : I can't call myself a man

al Shabazz
06-19-14, 07:43 PM
I can't call myself a man until I make my own jerky. Well, tonight, I'm going to start becoming a man. I have my jerky in the marinade right now.
Tomorrow when I'm done getting dressed for PT, I will take it out and throw it into the oven on low. After work I will take it out, try it with the family and, ishallah if it's good enough I will bring some into work for my Lance Corporals. Your wife loves you and often doesn't lie. Your kids will tell you it's good even if it's not. Your Lance Corporals...they know how to tell the truth.

Does anyone have any oven jerky recipes they're allowed to share (where I grew up, a man's jerky recipe was a more closely guarded secret than his favorite fishing hole so if you don't want to share, I understand).

al Shabazz
06-20-14, 12:08 PM
Well it came out pretty good. Turns out my oven only goes down to 170 instead of 130 but it turned out good. I'll have to make more and share. I got a little impatient and had to test it out early. It was done just not as dried out as I expected. Now it's in a holding pattern in the oven and slowly getting eaten before it's all the way done.

Deduke
06-21-14, 10:17 AM
Back when I made a lot of jerky, I picked up a few tricks. Instead of laying the meat flat on the oven racks, try putting a toothpick through one end and hanging the strips through the spaces in the rack. Mahes a lot more room in the oven. Also, turn the oven to tne lowest setting and block the door slightly open. I used a knife with a wooden handle. It lets most of the heat out, but keeps in enough to dry the meat. It takes longer to make, but it's worth it.

Semper Fi