PDA

View Full Version : Good Cookie and SMCR

Mustang0311
06-11-14, 11:22 AM
Any Marines ever went from Active to Reserve and rated both medals? I'm not sure how it works. For example if I had 3 years reserve and got my SMCR would I also get a Good Conduct medal after 3 years of active service?

BGW
06-11-14, 12:17 PM
If you were active for at least three years as enlisted with no NJP's you rate a good cookie reward. If you then were to transition into the reserves after your active duty and get by with zero problems I would imagine you would rate a SMCR.

I am assuming SMCR is the equivalent of a good cookie except its for the reserves. So I'm pretty sure its possible.

Also I don't think officers rate a good cookie reward. Its only for enlisted seeing as enlisted are the one's usually getting NJP'd. So if you were enlisted in the reserves then got commissioned as an active duty officer you most likely wont be getting a good cookie regardless how long your active.

Mustang0311
06-11-14, 12:33 PM
I have seen a few with both on their stack and wasn't sure of the proper procedure for Marines who had earned both (while enlisted ).

SgtSerrano
08-15-14, 09:23 AM
Yes, it is completely possible. Current serve in the SMCR and many prior AD guys in my unit rate the GC and SMCR Medals. All of them are enlisted of course.

BGW hit the nail on the head. All of that is correct and valid.

josephd
08-15-14, 04:11 PM
If you were actual AD, yes you would rate a GCM. If you were a reservist on active duty orders, No you would not.

Baker1971
08-16-14, 09:17 AM
Do you have to call it a " Good Cookie Award " ? Really ?

29palms
08-16-14, 09:21 AM
Well, in that case, I never got a GOOD COOKIE AWARD. It's almost like getting PERFECT ATTENDENCE in school. Who cares really? That in a job interview will be laughed upon. It's all about the Honorable.

29palms
08-16-14, 09:25 AM
Oh, I remember this crap. I think reservist after a certain time for only doing 3 years in the selected reserves can rate a SMCR. But this was not retroactive. In my years, you needed to do 6 years straight for the Selected Reserves Medal. I think its after like 1995 or something. Enough to pist me off. WTF over?

29palms
08-17-14, 08:22 AM
Kind of a catch 22. If my contract in the Marines was 3 active reserve, and 3 inactive, that ruled me out. Needed what? 4 years for this medal, therefore, needed a different contract. Interesting how it isn't retroactive.

Eligibility Requirements. Awarded to members of the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) who, effective 1 January 1996, fulfilled designated service requirements within any three-year period of service in the Organized Marine Corps Reserve. For the period 1 July 1925 through 31 December 1995, inclusive, a four-year period of service is required. The following are specific requirements of eligibility for this medal

Baker1971
08-17-14, 08:27 AM
Don't know how you got a 3x3 contract in the reserves. For your time period they were only 4x2 ???

29palms
08-17-14, 08:59 AM
Don't know how you got a 3x3 contract in the reserves. For your time period they were only 4x2 ???

You're wrong.

Baker1971
08-17-14, 09:11 AM
In 1982 you enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves on a 3x3 contract ?

I've been wrong before. Ask my Ex-Wife.

29palms
08-17-14, 09:17 AM
Started with 8th Tanks Cco in Tallahassee Florida, finished up in another unit in Jacksonville, Fl 4th amphibs Asslt Bn. 3x.3 exactly.

Baker1971
08-17-14, 09:25 AM
Yup. You don't rate the " Good Conduct Medal " then.

29palms
08-17-14, 03:52 PM
I really don't care now going on some 26 years since my discharge. I never got asked about medals in job interviews.

29palms
08-17-14, 04:28 PM
I know this is a Marine Corps forum, and talk here is all USMC, but some of us got out per our enlistment contracts and continued with life in other things. A GCM to me rates about close to nothing in comparison to many of my other accomplishments. It means nothing unless maybe to another Marine that got one. And it means nothing inasfar as benefits. Sure, its nice and shows great character but to put emphasis on medals as a measure of your future success is quite naive. Sort of like the guy that got voted in "Most likely to succeed in High School, " and when you go back for a visit, he's still flippin burgers. Nobody in the civilian world wears medals..

Phantom Blooper
08-17-14, 04:47 PM
Medals and ribbons don't mean nothing in the civilian world you say. Can't argue with that....because never wore my medals to work....but did work government jobs....and my service and DD214 helped. However if you rate you rate and should have it. Whether they are active duty...reserve...or a different service after the Marines. If you receive all your medals and ribbons that you rate while you are above ground.....then when the Grim Reaper comes knocking your survivors that want to know about your service may not have to come on here and ask questions. And there are jobs out there that are run by veterans and want your DD214 and know about the GCM and might want to know why you don't have one after your service....and what was the reason you didn't get one. Theft...Dope...Stupidity...Numerous reason why you may not get the job....over your peers or counterparts. Maybe a company owned by a grizzled old master Gunnery Sergeant.....ya' never know.

29palms
08-17-14, 06:05 PM
So like I said, maybe it matters to another Marine. A civilian knows tit about a GCM. If somebody in an job interview asked me about a good conduct medal, I'd just look at him with a stupid look. ...

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:08 PM
Very true---Good Conduct Medal---not that it means nothing in itself--but in the civilian world people are just not familiar with it in the least, so its "consequences", of having or not having one, are probably zero.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:10 PM
But, the question was whether someone RATED one, and that is an entirely different question than what does a GCM actually mean in terms of value or usefulness in or out of the military.

29palms
08-17-14, 06:13 PM
I am not saying a GCM is a bad or stupid thing. I say more power to you if you got it, it just doesn't mean I'm condemed to a lesser character for the rest of my life. Seems alot of people view a GCM like this. I think an honorable is good enough for me, and if it isn't, SCREW THEM. Keep your piddly government job.At my stage of the game, I don't need a star for ace-ing a test like in the first grade. I'm not far from retirement really and life moves on. FK it that I didn't get a GCM.

Baker1971
08-17-14, 06:14 PM
When I look at a DD-214 before hiring I look at everything on it.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:14 PM
29 palms: I agree with you, completely---

29palms
08-17-14, 06:17 PM
But, the question was whether someone RATED one, and that is an entirely different question than what does a GCM actually mean in terms of value or usefulness in or out of the military.

If an interviewer ask me about why I didn't RATE a GCM, I'll show him the middle finger and say...."RATE THIS". He'll get it right then. Attitude. By the way, you want your planes fixed? Take your happy ass with my application down to your human resources clerk boy and pass this thing on through before I shove this thing where the light no shine.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:18 PM
hahahahaha---I seriously doubt any but the most detailed ex-military folks would notice the absence of the Good Conduct Medal.

Baker1971
08-17-14, 06:23 PM
Such an angry little man ......
Now we all should be afraid to fly.

Good thing this isn't in "Open Squad Bay" for the whole world to read.

Wouldn't want you to spread panic among the masses. Oh Damn it, it is in " Open Squad Bay ".....

29palms
08-17-14, 06:25 PM
But what is my DD-214? Beings I was reservist, this DD-214 means I got separated from active duty from boot camp and MOS school. Another words, basic training. It even says on there, NOT A FINAL...

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:27 PM
29, IF an employer asked you about the GCM, you'd have to tell him.

29palms
08-17-14, 06:31 PM
hahahahaha---I seriously doubt any but the most detailed ex-military folks would notice the absence of the Good Conduct Medal.
Yea. Or the most ANAL detailed ex military types. A good skill and education surpasses that bs. It's just a SELLING item. A GCM you can push in an interview to show your character as a strong point selling item. Just so happens that GCM is not an option to use as a selling item so I use other points to sell my character. For instance, been with my current job 18 years, kept my nose clean, no article 15's. Does that count for a GCM same as a 4 year enlistee Marine?

Baker1971
08-17-14, 06:31 PM
Everyone gets issued a DD-214 when you EAS, Active and Reserves. <br />
It shows everything including your type of discharge and wether you are recco for reenlistment along with all your awards and dates...

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:33 PM
What happened with the GCM, 29?

29palms
08-17-14, 06:34 PM
29, IF an employer asked you about the GCM, you'd have to tell him.
No I wouldn't. I could lie about it. Got the Privacy Act statement of 1974. They can't check your records to see if you told the truth or not.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:35 PM
I know, but honesty would be the best policy. What happened? We'll be the judges of whether it's a big deal or not---I'll tell you something you already know---it does NOT take much to NOT get one, just something minor is enough. No big deal.

Baker1971
08-17-14, 06:36 PM
But then comes along the Patriot Act and that shoots your lying right down the tubes...

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:37 PM
I didn't think about that angle, Jimmy.

29palms
08-17-14, 06:37 PM
separation from active duty only. They don't cut you one in the reserves. When you get out of reserves, the next and final thing you will see is your discharge type certificate issued by the...

29palms
08-17-14, 06:38 PM
But then comes along the Patriot Act and that shoots your lying right down the tubes...

I'm so shtting in my pants right now over this. Fked over a GCM. What am I to do now?

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:39 PM
What's the reason for that original six year obligation way back when? Is it still like that? I did 4 years active duty, got a DD-214, but went into the Inactive Reserves for 2 years, then got the...

29palms
08-17-14, 06:41 PM
I know, but honesty would be the best policy. What happened? We'll be the judges of whether it's a big deal or not---I'll tell you something you already know---it does NOT take much to NOT get one, just something minor is enough. No big deal.

I aint telling. Don't mean anything to me now.

29palms
08-17-14, 06:45 PM
Now its 8 years total obligation. I signed up in 82. It was six years total obligation. I did 3 in the Selected Reserves and 3 IRR. Got the discharge in 88. DD-214 issued in 83 after six months...

29palms
08-17-14, 06:56 PM
Such an angry little man ......
Now we all should be afraid to fly.

Good thing this isn't in "Open Squad Bay" for the whole world to read.

Wouldn't want you to spread panic among the masses. Oh Damn it, it is in " Open Squad Bay ".....

An angry mechanic is a good thing. Kind of like an angry Marine. Difference is, Marines take it out on other humans. Mechanics take it out on nuts and bolts. We are happy when the plane fly's and the proper maintenance was completed. My passangers are safe with my professionalism.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 06:58 PM
But to go back to what we were talking about, you would have to disclose to an employer, or potential employer, the details about no GCM, right?

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:02 PM
ah.....I see from a prior post that you just didn't have the requisite time in in order to get the medal, not that you did anything at all....I see now.

29palms
08-17-14, 07:05 PM
Negative.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:06 PM
negative which/what?

Phantom Blooper
08-17-14, 07:12 PM
Somebody needs some of my frikon happy pills!

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:13 PM
29palms?
nah---he's doing fine, except as a witness here--it's like pulling teeth.

29palms
08-17-14, 07:13 PM
I'm not totally sold on that requisite time thing. I think for a Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal, you needed 4 years straight as an active reservist. I could be wrong about this, but I do...

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:15 PM
So it is because you did not have the required time in and not because of something you allegedly did wrong.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:22 PM
When I was in, active duty, the requirement was 3 years for the GCM.

Those of us who had less than the required 13 months left on our enlistments and therefore were not eligible to go to Vietnam, ended up with the GCM and the National Defense Service Medal.

Nowadays Marines in for just a short time have several ribbons and medals.

29palms
08-17-14, 07:23 PM
Sorry if I sounded militant or angry. I got everything you said. Just to me a GCM at this point is like I may as well go back to my 6th grade teacher and try to get back a perfect attendance certificate, they are both in the same light to me.

29palms
08-17-14, 07:24 PM
When I was in, active duty, the requirement was 3 years for the GCM.

I don't know about now, but when I was in, I think it applied to reservist too. I THINK.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:26 PM
Yep, these things change over the years....time requirements etc

29palms
08-17-14, 07:31 PM

But if you got any of those pills left over, throw them over on the political forum. Got guys in there asking for Obama urinal stickers. Thats angry.

USMC 2571
08-17-14, 07:41 PM
Good place for some happy pills, 29---those people in there LOVE the misery. They can leave anytime they want, but they all love it there.

29palms
08-17-14, 07:48 PM
Has this forum been re-modified? I got a wierd screen in here. Got me paranoid now. Got the PATRIOT ACT kickin in here to see why my GCM didn't kick in. 26 years ago.

josephd
08-18-14, 06:32 PM
lol at all this banter over a f****n award

3 years in the Selected Reserve(not IRR) for the SMCR

3 years on active in the fleet for the GCM

both are great to have but mean nothing in the real world. i know of a few $hit hot Marines with multiple deployments and other much higher personal awards(Bronze Star w/ combat V) who don't have a GCM because of an NJP for DUI and other non-military related things

I have 2 SMCR awards now but I gotta agree 29 on this, if any employer asked about a GCM/SMCR medal I would probably laugh in their face at the interview and walk out of the room

29palms
08-18-14, 08:36 PM
Exactly. SMCR medal in my time was for 4 years. I also believe a GCM was offered because my dd-214 reads &quot;GCM period commences and it gives my dates of enlisment.&quot; I could be wrong or things just...

29palms
08-18-14, 08:56 PM
So next time I do an interview and asked if I got a GCM, I will just say....Reservist don't rate one.....but if he comes back and asks about a Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal, I'll lose it right there and walk out. hahahahaa......cuz I would litterly sht in my pants in amazement that the interviewer even knows about that.

29palms
08-18-14, 09:05 PM
Hey you know what? I've been giving this a lot of thought lately and I've determined this. Anyone that didn't get a Good Conduct Medal can get the FK out of my "Friends" list. I don't wanna be affiliated with your types. hahahahahaaha

Baker1971
08-22-14, 06:35 AM
Want one of mine 29 ???

Old Marine
08-22-14, 01:39 PM
Hey 29, I will let you borrow one of mine. Used to be that a nickle and a stack of ribbons would get you a cup of coffee at the local cafe. I guess it has changed now its a dollar and a half and a stack of ribbons. Damn inflation.

Baker1971
08-22-14, 05:33 PM
Hahahahahaha !!! That was great :thumbup:

29palms
08-22-14, 05:43 PM
Want one of mine 29 ???

What you say? You got 29 GCM's?

29palms
08-22-14, 05:45 PM
Hey 29, I will let you borrow one of mine. Used to be that a nickle and a stack of ribbons would get you a cup of coffee at the local cafe. I guess it has changed now its a dollar and a half and a stack of ribbons. Damn inflation.

That is pretty much what I've been trying to say here.