PDA

View Full Version : Here is Something Interesting

Doc Crow
12-29-03, 08:15 AM
I received this from a Guy I was stationed with.

Gentleman, as a retired Marine I was disturbed to receive the below email from a co-worker who is also a former Marine. I am apalled at this, and I hope something can be passed to our fellow Marines, soldiers, sailors, and airman as well as veterans of any branch of the service, so that we may keep our active duty military personnel and veterans from spending any of our hard earned dollars at this store. When I got married on 29 Sep 02, my future wife and I registered with this store for wedding gifts that we wanted to receive. However, had I known what I know now that would have never occurred. I just recently purchased gift certificates for all three of my children from this store for Christmas...(it used to be one of mine and my wife's favorites). However, I will never give them another dollar. Please read this email General and SgtMaj! Semper Fidelis!

Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud sponsor of the
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event.
>
> We received the following reply from the local TARGET management:
>
> "Veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the arts,
social action groups, gay & lesbian causes, and education."
>
> So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans in
general do not meet their donation criteria, then something is really wrong
at this TARGET store. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not
even hundreds, just a small sponsorship for a memorial remembrance.
>
> As a follow-up, I e-mailed the TARGET U.S. corporate headquarters and
their response was the same. That's their national policy. Then I looked
into the company further. They will not allow the Marines to collect for
'Toys for Tots' at any of their stores. And during the recent Iraq
deployment, they would not allow families of employees who were called up
for active duty to continue their insurance coverage while they were on
military service.
>
> Then as I dig further, TARGET is a French-owned corporation. Now, I'm
thinking again. If TARGET can not support American Veterans, then why
should I and my family support their stores by spending our hard earned
American dollars and to have their profits sent to France. Without the
American Vets, where would France be today? Feel free to pass this along
to whomever you want.

thedrifter
12-29-03, 08:20 AM
Target Practice

False. Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Target Practice) ••••

The Target Corporation does not contribute to veterans' causes: False.
The Target Corporation is French-owned: False.
The Target Corporation provides corporate grants only for 'gay and lesbian causes': False.
The Target Corporation does not contribute to the U.S. Marines 'Toys for Tots' program: False.
The Target Corporation does not allow reservists called to active duty to continue their health benefits: False.
Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

TARGET STORES DO NOT SUPPORT VETERANS!!!
Subject: Vietnam vets not worthy?

Vietnam Veterans Not Worthy Of Target's Help?
By Dick Forrey, Vietnam Veterans Association.

We asked our local Target store to be a sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event. We received back a reply from Target management that "veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the areas of arts, social actions and education."

My thought: If the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and the Vietnam veteran himself, does not meet the criteria of these areas, something is wrong at Target. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, but simply sponsorship endorsement for a "memorial remembrance".

As follow-up, I e-mailed the Corporate Headquarters and their response was the same. Personally, I will NOT be buying anything at Target Stores again. If the Vietnam Veteran does not meet their area of giving then why should I as a Vietnam veteran, spend my hard earned money in their stores?

Please pass this on to as many people as you know. Maybe Target and other businesses will get the message

Origins: As
Strother Martin's character wryly commented in Cool Hand Luke, "What we've got here is failure to communicate."

Dick Forrey, a member of the Indiana-based Howard County Vietnam Veterans organization, penned the above message in March 2002 after failing to secure a $100 sponsorship for a travelling Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Wall exhibit from his local Target store. Mr. Forrey was rebuffed, because Target does not give out cash donations through local stores; they donate money only at the corporate level, and only through grants to organizations falling within their defined general areas of giving:

We want to clearly and completely apologize for any misunderstanding regarding Target's support of the Vietnam Wall and our corporate giving program. Giving back to the communities where our stores are located is something we're proud to do. In fact, nationwide, Target Corporation gives more than $2 million a week to the communities in which we serve.

In March of 2002, a veteran approached one of our stores seeking a $100 donation for a display of the "moving wall" in his area. Target does support events in the communities in which our stores are located. While each store determines which events to sponsor, any contribution is limited and is made in the form of a gift card. The stores are not able to give cash contributions to any organization. Stores are also able to donate volunteer hours to community events and projects.

Our corporate giving program that does incorporate cash donations is handled through a process called grants. Unfortunately, the veteran and his organization were not provided the proper information to facilitate consideration of a grant from either the store or our corporate office. The initial response of the team member at the store and the reply from our corporate office are inconsistent with the respectful manner in which we want all of our guests to be treated. We are truly sorry for this oversight and the resulting confusion that has taken place.

We accept all applications for grants from January 1 to September 30 of each calendar year. Any guest can request a grants application brochure at their local store, called "Grant Guidelines." Veterans programs may be considered for grants if the subject matter falls into one of our three general areas of giving: education, arts and family violence prevention.

Guests can also access a grant application at our web site.

This is certain: Target appreciates the dedication and service of all our veterans. Thank you again for your interest.

Sincerely,

Daniel Cleland
Group Team Leader
Guest Relations

more info at link......
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Doc Crow
12-29-03, 03:53 PM
I was wondering if this might not have been one of those Urban Legends

Lock-n-Load
12-29-03, 04:08 PM
:marine:The final solution to the Target Stores is.....Never...frequent them til the end of time:marine: Semper Fi:marine: