PDA

View Full Version : Looking for former or current Marine aircraft mechs with A&P

VMGRMech
12-28-03, 11:32 AM
Like the title says, anyway I looking to get my ticket and was wondering if anyone has any pointers

Thanks S/F

thedrifter
12-28-03, 07:07 PM
Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

RichLundeen
12-28-03, 08:22 PM
Hey man,

If your still in, get letters of recommendation from your AMO, MC Chief, XO, CO, and you’ll be able to skip the FAA ‘certified’ schools. You’ll have to do your written and practical on your own, no biggie. The written will have 1000 potential questions, of which you’ll only get 100. They are available to you up front, get familiar w/ ‘em, and you shouldn’t have any problem. The practical portion, you go to an FAA approved repair station, work for a day, and get signed off on. I took mine at a repair station in Statesboro, GA, and had to do an AD on a Cessna 192 for ‘cracks in / around the seats, on the airframe, and jack and cycle the LG.

Your closest FFA regional hub can be found here: http://www1.faa.gov/licenses/mechanics.cfm

Go get 'em. Even if you don't use your A&P (I haven't in 10 years), it helps you a lot. Every engineer knows what it is, and that your qualified to fix what we all fly in. Goes a long way.

Semper Fi

Rich

tophor
12-28-03, 09:23 PM
What kind of pointers are you looking for? The first thing is to see if your MOS cross's over to you getting you qualified to take your a&p tests, and if you only qualify for one, find someone who is qualified in what you are not qualified in and have that person write a letter to the FAA so you can take your writtens. Your writtens will cost about 240.00 dollars for all 3 tests, general, powerplants and your airframe. Your oral and practical will cost you in the area of 500.00-1000.00 dollars and takes about 8 hours. Does this answer your questions? If you have anymore questions you can e-mail me at tophor7@yahoo.com.

SEMPER FI!!!!!!

VMGRMech
12-29-03, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the replies gents. Very helpful info

RichLundeen
12-29-03, 02:17 PM
Good luck, keep us up to date!

How's 'Have-not'? I haven't been there for 10 years, I suppose not much has changed!

Semper Fi

Rich

VMGRMech
12-31-03, 10:39 AM
Yeah not much has changed and Bob Clark is determined to keep it that way :(

RichLundeen
12-31-03, 11:44 AM
Bob Clark? Is that the Mayor?

I was down in Beaufort in June for a Squadron reunion (VMFA-115).

Not one THING had changed! Except for the road by PI, they made an overpass, and some exit ramps. A little development out that way.

Semper Fi

Rich