PDA

View Full Version : Lindh seeks forgiveness, met other Western Taliban, lawyers say

thedrifter
09-01-02, 03:04 PM
They are asking forgiveness.....

Not in my book.........

What do you say.........

By Larry Margasak, Associated Press, 8/31/2002 04:00
WASHINGTON (AP) John Walker Lindh wants Americans to forgive him for joining the Taliban military, where he met other Westerners, and is now telling federal agents what he knows, his lawyers say.

Lindh's knowledge of other fighters he met, possibly including detainees held in Cuba, would be of interest to the United States in addition to places he had been in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Before his military training in Afghanistan, he spent time in a pro-Taliban border region of Pakistan.

Lindh attorneys Tony West and George Harris, in interviews this week, would not describe the information their client is providing, and government officials refused to comment.

Lindh, 21, is undergoing debriefings with several government agencies as part of a plea agreement. He would receive a maximum 20-year prison term if officials are satisfied with his cooperation and the judge approves the deal at an Oct. 4 sentencing proceeding. Multiple agencies are attending the debriefings, West said.

Lindh ''was not unique in being a Westerner who converted to Islam and decided to fight against the Northern Alliance,'' the anti-Taliban militia that became a U.S. ally, West said. ''John ran into many Westerners who converted.''

The lawyers wouldn't say whether the Westerners included Americans. Authorities know of one other U.S. citizen who fought with the Taliban: Yaser Esam Hamdi, who was born in Louisiana and is being held by the military in Norfolk, Va. Lindh was in a Taliban unit consisting of non-Afghan fighters.

Lindh never contemplated that he would be fighting in a war that Americans would enter, the lawyers said. He now believes he made a terrible mistake by enlisting with Afghanistan's former harsh Islamic rulers and wants Americans to forgive him, West said.

Lindh understands Americans' extremely negative feelings toward him, West said. He wants his countrymen to know that he was not a terrorist and never joined Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network, even though he met bin Laden in a military training camp in Afghanistan.

''He understands Sept. 11 changed the way people view Islam and that he came into national consciousness at a time there was a great deal of justified national pain and anger,'' West said.

''He made a mistake. He admits he made a terrible mistake. No one wants to be judged by the worst mistake they made when they were 20 years old.''

Lindh is being held in the Alexandria, Va., Detention Center and the government's rules of confinement do not permit him to give interviews.

He is confined to his cell virtually the entire day except for the debriefings, family visits and meetings with his lawyers. He hopes to soon be allowed in an outdoor prisoner area.

Still a devout Muslim, Lindh reads the Quran and prays every day. He believes bin Laden and the Sept. 11 hijackers acted contrary to Islam's teachings by attacking innocent civilians and in the attackers' case committing suicide, the lawyers said.

He spends much of his day reading, picking books from a library cart sent to his cell. His choices have included biographies of Mohandas Gandhi and Nelson Mandela; works by Maya Angelou and James Joyce; and plays by William Shakespeare.

Lindh pleaded guilty July 15 to supplying services to the Taliban and carrying an explosive during the commission of a felony.

He went to school in Pakistan. While living in a region dominated by Taliban supporters before Sept. 11, he became convinced the Taliban sought to establish a pure Islamic nation and joined their army because he believed in what they were doing.

West and Harris said there were errors in the government's indictment.

The principal mistakes, West contended, were allegations that Lindh trained in an al-Qaida camp in Afghanistan in June 2001 and, while there, was told before Sept. 11 that the terror network had dispatched some 50 people to carry out 20 suicide operations against the United States and Israel.

West said Lindh did not know that al-Qaida ran or financed the camp, even though Lindh told a television interviewer after his capture late last year that he thought the facility was financed by bin Laden. He was simply relaying what he had heard from other soldiers, the lawyer said.

Harris said Lindh heard about al-Qaida operations from others in his unit only after Sept. 11, and had no way of verifying what he heard.

When Lindh was returned to the United States, West said, the defense team provided news articles and other information that convinced him the Taliban were actually oppressors.

''If he knew then what he knows now about the Taliban and the policies they implemented, he would never have joined the Taliban and gone to the front lines,'' West said.

He said Lindh gave little significance to his meeting with bin Laden, which took place after the al-Qaida leader spoke at the training camp mosque and several trainees remained afterward to meet him.

''The United States never was mentioned'' by bin Laden, West said. ''It was not a significant event. There's no reason to believe (bin Laden) had an indication John was an American.''

Lindh would get out of prison when he's 41 if the plea bargain is accepted by a judge. He wants to raise a family in the United States, teach world history and translate Arabic books into English, West said.

''John has not once exhibited any degree of bitterness or resentment as a result of his situation,'' the lawyer said.

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
09-01-02, 04:42 PM
All those killed on September 11.

He would get that chance if we execute him...... He can do it at that time, just b4 he goes to hell.

MillRatUSMC
09-01-02, 04:59 PM
''John has not once exhibited any degree of bitterness or resentment as a result of his situation,'' the lawyer said.

That situation was by his own choosing.

Those he sided with, have sworn to kill as many of us and Israelies as possible.

Bitterness and resentment are not left open to him.
He been use as a fool by those sworn to destroy us.
But he was too much the fool to know any better.
Sad, to say the least.
His punishment I leave to the courts.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

thedrifter
09-01-02, 05:08 PM
I GUESS WHEN YOUR FAMILY HAS MONEY, YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH MURDER. HIS TIME WILL COME.

ANOTHER WAY WE ARE SOLD OUT BY THOSE IN POWER. JUST ASK THE FAMILIES OF THOSE WHO WERE MURDERED ON 09/11 AND THE FAMILIES OF OPUR SERVICEMEN WHO WERE KILLED IN Afghanistan.

Sempers,

Roger

MillRatUSMC
09-01-02, 05:25 PM
9/11/01 isn't 12/07/41...after those attacks in Hawaii.
Almost everyone put their lifes on hold.
Rich, poor and inbetween.
After those attacks of 9/11/01 many were angry and there was a lot of Flag waving.
Now it's much like Vietnam...indifference or apathy toward those that did those attacks.
No one is putting their lifes on hold except those in the military.
Many hold life in comtempt or they place no value on a human life.
Kids have no respect.
The other day, as I passed these young dudes.
a small stone hit me.
I knew it was one of them.
You can't beat the living heades out their rear end.
So this disrespect carries over to placing no value on a human life or anyone property.
So your right money talks and BS walks.
Who's fault is it?
Many couls share the blame.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
09-01-02, 05:54 PM
At least cut off one of the stone throwers hands off....
So he cant throw no more.....

<HR>

This morning as I went to the store, two dudes pulled up behind my car as Im getting out. Black dudes with mean looks and hungry for trouble, gang members. They looked me up and down ready to start something. For no reason, perhaps they were eyeing my car. I just looked in the passenges eyes, and I guess he knew he did not want to do what he was thinking of doing.

He motioned to the driver, to go on and they went on. It made me want to follow them to prevent something... but figured this time trouble went by, can never know about next time.

Just last night, told me neighbor, nothing much really bothers me as far as people ripping stuff I have off, but when it comes to hurting me, or my family, then its a whole different story. No hesitation there.

Have trained my daughters to think that way. Tell them if you even think you have to get the gun(s) to protect yourself, you have already decided to use it to protect yourself or others and if so, you can't afford to hesitate in using it.

Maybe wrong way to think, but it'll keep them safe.

MillRatUSMC
09-01-02, 07:52 PM
Of those dudes that were eye balling you.
Punks that think they're going scare you.
After the Nam, nothing could scare you or me.
Did we start all this in 1950's and 60's?
Then it was "Watchout here comes the Old Man!"
Now its "Watchout that kid has a gun!"
Which brings me to a small story!
This kid was caught stealing.
The old man was from Mexico.
Beat the kid.
He was arrested for child abuse.
Went to court.
The judge told him "Mr. so and so. you can't be beating your son like that!"
If you do it again, I'll have to send you to jail.
He replied, "If he caught stealing again, I'm going to do the same thing!"
The judge than told him. I just warned you.
I'll have you arrested this minute.
Mr. so and so replied;
"if I can't discipline my own child, than you keep his Axx!
I don't want him!
This is were it all starts, besides the schools.
IMHO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS I wish I could have done what you suggested.
But I would have been arrested for child abuse.
People would scream;
"What an evil person! beating on child!"
But that child came out of xell!!!