PDA

View Full Version : Program gives inner-city kids taste of Marine Corps

thedrifter
12-24-03, 09:04 AM
Program gives inner-city kids taste of Marine Corps
Submitted by: New York Public Affairs
Story Identification Number: 20031222152156
Story by Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

NEW YORK(December 22, 2003) -- "I used to drive a Cadillac..." starts one well-known marching cadence.
"...But now I'm humping with a pack," follows the next part.

In Bronx, N.Y., many kids have never ridden in a Cadillac, or grown up with other luxuries kids from other neighborhoods may take for granted. But they're certainly learning how to hump with a pack, and more, with the Young Marines program. The Bronx Young Marines program gives local kids a taste of Marine Corps values.

A Bronx school teacher started the program in March of this year. She was anxious for help from an active duty Marine, until she met Sgt. Esther Maysonet.

"She reached out to me for assistance in June," said Maysonet. She saw the Young Marines marching at an event in Brooklyn. She confronted the instructor on a discrepancy she noticed, and she was so adamant about it, the instructor invited her to come on board with the program.

Maysonet works for the Marine For Life program as a New York Hometown Link. She said she observed the Young Marines only a few times before she decided to dive in. "They were meeting in this small room, but they had so much pride in themselves, and in their uniforms...when you look at them you can't help but think, these are future Marines," said the Bronx native. Maysonet now heads up the program after a few months of teamwork. Now, the program mentors Bronx kids from many different backgrounds.

"When I first started, I met a kid who was eight years old and in trouble for shoplifting," said Maysonet. "What kind of future did he have? This way we show the kids (in the program) they're strong enough to overcome their environment."

Young Marines includes kids from ages eight to 18 years old. Right now, Bronx Young Marines is about 30 kids strong. They learn Marine Corps history and drill, as well as how to give back to the community. Maysonet said they went to a local park and planted tulips during their last community service event. "It really made the kids feel great to know they helped make another part of the Bronx better," she said.

The Young Marines meet twice a week for training. On Thursdays they focus on improving their grades at school, and studying for promotion within the program. Saturdays include physical training, drill, lectures, and various law enforcement and anti-drug courses. Maysonet said not every kid starts on the same physical fitness level, but the program doesn't disqualify anyone based on their personal fitness. "We're not going to turn anyone away," she said.

Several other Marines volunteer to help train the Young Marines. Sgt. Angel Cordona, Marine For Life New York Hometown Link, and LCpl. Rolando Romero, 1st Marine Corps District in Garden City, both work with the kids regularly. Maysonet said they make an excellent impact.

"The children see these are real Marines...they listen so attentively to them," said Maysonet. "It's almost like they're trying to absorb everything about the Marine Corps, and Cordona and Romero are the Marine Corps to them. It's great, because they're both so squared away."

The program welcomes any Marines near or in the Bronx to volunteer. "The doors are open to any Marines willing to mentor these Young Marines," said Maysonet.

"The best part (about volunteering) is getting to teach kids from where I grew up," said Romero. "I never had the opportunity to participate in Young Marines when I was growing up, and now the kids have an opportunity to take part in what I didn't," said the Bronx native. "It's great to be a part of that."

Bronx Young Marines also welcomes more kids interested in the program.

"It's gonna be tough," said Maysonet. "It's no more Mom or Dad, it's Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am," she said.

For kids ages eight to 18, eligibility is limited only to "anyone ready to take up the challenge of Young Marines."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1250D2CD9707E6FD85256E04006FDF5C?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine:

ashley clark
12-24-03, 11:13 AM
I think there should be more Young Marine programs,I'm in one and I think that it has definately tought me the Marine Corps values.

CPLRapoza
12-24-03, 11:24 AM
I was part of a Marine Cadet program for a while and it definetly prepared me for future endeavors. Look at me know!!