PDA

View Full Version : Jury Summons Humm, how would you respond?

Sparrowhawk
12-23-03, 12:07 PM
I got a Jury Summons in the mail the other day.

IMPORTANT!
JURY SUMMONS ENCLOSED - FAILURE TO RESPOND MAY SUBJECT YOU TO A PENALTY

That is what was written on the outside of the envelope.

Now, I have never served on a jury; don't know if I really care to. I mean, the guy is guilty, otherwise the officer would have never arrested him in the first place, was how I have always looked at things.

But, in today's world, things are different. Of course, I would give the individual the benefit of the doubt; then, if he looks guilty he's guilty. LOL

I've been summoned many times before but have never served. Maybe its because of my police background that I am usually dismissed right away.

If I did get to serve, I would want to ask questions and depending on how they handle the case, I probably would get irritated at the district attorney as well as the defense lawyer, and maybe even the judge. LOL

How about you, how many of you have served, bailed out of it with an excuse or just never showed up?

Just wondering

Semper Fi

Cook

Dittychaser
12-23-03, 12:22 PM
If one wants to continue to enjoy the privileges of citizenship, he needs to undertake the responsibilities that go with it. Jury service is one of those.
I've never been called to serve. My wife has been called (and served) at last four times.

thedrifter
12-23-03, 12:53 PM
Some years ago I got a Summons in the mail to report for jury duty............Filled it out and stated that I had been found guilty at a Military Court,,,,,,,,,,,Never heard from the courts again........ Always felt they are guilty, why else would they be on trial........

Report for jury duty and state how you feel, should get you out of it.............

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

marinemom
12-23-03, 02:30 PM
When we lived in New York City, I got called all the time - both the State and Federal Courts, too.

It was an interesting experience - and I would do it again if called.

How did I get out of service? Only one time - got called when I was at 8 1/2 months pregnant. Stood in line for the jury clerk and when I got to the desk he never looked up - just asked why I wanted to be excused.

I said "Look at me and try to guess" - got excused that time and only got called one time after that. I wonder if he flagged my name in some way, lol.

Devildogg4ever
12-23-03, 03:53 PM
I have been summoned, but never have had to pull jury duty!! I figure most cases would be a bore!!

Sophora
12-23-03, 06:11 PM
Been summoned several times. Sat on a DUI Jury, Got chosen for another jury but we got dismissed when the defendant didn't show, don't know if they ever caught him. Got chosen a third time but was excused. The defence attorney didn't think I'd be a good choice for his client. :p Most times I just sit in the jury pool room. Bring a good thick book.

Phantom Blooper
12-23-03, 06:34 PM
Cook,Tell them that "Everyday is Saturday" and that the local judicial system is closed on Saturday's.:banana: Ain't I a Smart @ss?

Sparrowhawk
12-23-03, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Sophora
... Bring a good thick book.

You think, they will pick me, if I bring MAD Magazine and Playboy with me?

LOL

Super Dave
12-23-03, 06:48 PM
Ask if it's a hanging offence?
What lawyer wouldn't want an opinionated Marine on a jury?????

Sophora
12-23-03, 06:57 PM
yeah they probably would take you if you had Mad and Playboy. They'd think you were up on current events ;)

Had a friend tell the clerk he had an antisocial personality disorder, he was out in 10 mins.

TracGunny
12-23-03, 07:54 PM
I was summoned on three seperate occasions while on active duty for my home of record. Always excused due to military obligations. Now that I am retired and back at my home of record, they don't seem interested in me. Go figure...

Osotogary
12-23-03, 08:40 PM
Got called for County jury duty. Went to the Court House. My number was called at about 11:30 am. Was suppose to return at 13:00.
Went to lunch at a fast food establishment within the Court House. Picked out my food, chose a table and parked it. Along comes a gentleman and asks if he could share the table with me. Yeah, sure...why not? He looked like he was in a hurry so our conversation(s) were brief. Lunch time ended, headed back to the courtroom. Guess who was the defendant? That's right. My lunch partner! I told the judge that it wouldn't be right for me to be a juror on the same case as the man I just had lunch with. I still had to stay until 17:00 but I was relieved of my juror obligation.

Super Dave
12-23-03, 09:07 PM
I got a "nasty gram" when i was at 29 Palms going through Comm school back in 1983 that i was in trouble for not regristering for the draft...

cbqrr47
12-23-03, 10:52 PM
Show up or you might wish you had ! I'll take all the Marines I can get on my juries. They know a thing or two about duty, honor, and committment. They know how to follow (the judge's) orders. They see the big Marine Corps emblem on my suit coat, and that tells them who I am.

John D. Mitchell, Jr. Attorney at Law Sgt. USMC 66-69

FMFgrunt
12-23-03, 11:39 PM
when I got a summons for Jury Duty; one of the questions was "Do You have any mental conditions" "explain"

I replyed NO and "explained" I've been diagnosed as being Schizophrenic paranoid, obsessive compulsive.

that was 1999 and I ain't heard from them since.

Honesty is the best policy;)

wtf do they expect from a Trained Killer that loves kids (and women):D that went to the most regimented Training in America.

hell I doan want my foot locker scattered all over the Quonset Hut...'obsessive compulsive" my ass. that's "Squared away"

Happy Holidays Marines..

rsta
12-24-03, 04:59 AM
It seems that every 24-36 months I receive a jury summons. I don't really mind serving, it's just a little annoying. The wheels of justice do run slow! It's from all of the lally-gagling going on. I've never seen so many do so little in so much time.

Only jury I served on was a divorce case! I wasn't even aware divorce cases could be heard by a jury, but, in Georgia they can.

DSchmitke
12-24-03, 06:44 AM
Filled out the questionnaire wrote on it Do Not want to participate. A few months later the jury summons shows up. Go to the courthouse. I get called to the jury box. The defense attorney ask me why I don't want to play. I told him he must be guilty or we wouldn't be here. And Judge Giddings said you are dismissed. Aye Aye Sir.

LONEEAGLE
12-26-03, 08:13 AM
Got summoned once in Tejas....I wrote on the summons...'PTSD', never heard another thing
Maybe I'm stupid....but could someone tell me what LOL means?

Sophora
12-26-03, 08:20 AM
BigEagle6, LOL is internet shorthand for Laughing Out Loud.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas, and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year. Thank you, and God Bless

MillRatUSMC
12-27-03, 09:37 AM
Got a summons and a form to fill out.
Did that on the web.
I reported on the day, I was told to report.
But in small print, was "call the night before".
Turns out that three of us fail to call.
So we were not on the roster of jurors.
I'm also hard of hearing.
I call the clerk responsibile for jurors.
Explaining my hard of hearing.
She instructed that I send her a snail mail detailing my condition.
I than was excused from Federal jury duty.
Never heard from any other court.
We will cross that bridge, when we get a summons.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
12-27-03, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MillRatUSMC
...Explaining my hard of hearing.
She instructed that I send her a snail mail detailing my condition.
I than was excused from Federal jury duty.
Never heard from any other court.
We will cross that bridge, when we get a summons.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

<hr>

Humm, haven't thought of that one, but I am hard of hearing, my doctor even gave me a prescription saying I don't hear slow, soft voices, like females have.

Told my wife what the doctor said, and ever since then, I am excused for what ever the wife or daughters say, that I didn’t comply with because I tells them I didn’t hear it. LOL

Just called in and listened to the recording as I was suppose to, they said I won't have to report in on Monday, but must call in again Monday night at 6PM to see if my services will be needed, later during the week.

I think, they are just testing Marines, to see if we are Semper Fi…..

greybeard
12-27-03, 10:41 AM
For some reason, I've never been summoned. I'm a registered voter, on the tax rolls, all the other things they go by to form a database to choose from. Maybe I'm being discriminated against.

greensideout
12-27-03, 09:05 PM
I was called to Grand Jury duty this past fall.

Went to the courthouse and sat with about 40 others as we were asked the questions by the judge.

Have you served as a law enforcement officer?---Yes---when, where and all of that.

Have you any reason to believe that you should not serve?---Maybe

And what is that?---Well, I wear these high tech hearing aids and unless my batteries are fresh I may miss some words that are spoken but I usally do ok.

I really wanted to serve---but I was GONE! LOL

yellowwing
12-27-03, 09:16 PM
I was summoned in Nashville TN. I told them I was a liberal and independent small business owner. One of those statements got me excused. Not sure which.

firstsgtmike
12-29-03, 09:58 AM
People looking for a way to get out of jury duty may have been handed one by an unlikely ally in civic sloth: trial lawyers.

According to a new guidebook for the plaintiff's bar, trial lawyers are advised to be wary of potential jurors with "extreme attitudes about personal responsibility." These jurors, the guidebook counsels, often reveal themselves by chatting up "traditional family values" — values that reflect "strong religious beliefs."

"It is helpful to divide the jurors into two groups: the personal responsibility group and compassion-altruistic group," Wenner writes in the guidebook. "Jurors who are extreme on the personal responsibility bias, or who have a high need for personal responsibility, will strongly favor the defendant. In contrast, jurors who are extreme on the compassionate-altruistic bias, or who have a high need for compassion, will strongly favor the plaintiff."

No one should underestimate the dismay "personal responsibility" strikes in the heart of some trial lawyers. The plaintiff's bar works long and hard to ensure clients are not held responsible for their own injuries. When someone pours hot coffee in her own lap, the temperature of the coffee becomes the issue.

Jurors who believe in personal responsibility can destroy the best-laid plans of an attorney on the make.

They believe that human beings "should be self-reliant, responsible, and self-disciplined. When people act irresponsibly and are not self-disciplined, there are consequences." They also believe that individuals "must be accountable for their conduct.

The motto of these jurors is that if a person is committed to personal responsibility, then he or she must first accept blame before blaming others. That means playing the blame game is unacceptable if the plaintiff was in the best position to avoid the injury."
==========================

I was called for jury duty ONCE. I told them not to waste my time again.

1. I do not believe any evidence is inadmissable.

2. I cannot disregard anything I have seen or heard. (or speculate upon.)

3. I believe that if I told a joke first, before shooting the felon between the eyes, each and every time, it would NOT be cruel and it would NOT be "unusual" punishment.

4. I have no medical or family problems. I am self-employed, so I have no one else to answer to. How soon can we start? Let's hang the guilty SOB?
-------------------------

For some reason, although I don't believe I was forgotten about, or overlooked. But I was NEVER called upon for jury duty again .

TracGunny
12-29-03, 10:14 AM
...as I said, if called, I will serve. According to what firstsgtmike posted, I will be dismissed; I have a strong belief in personal responsibility and accountability. Nice to know the lawyers have a legal way of stacking the deck... (not)

Doc Crow
12-29-03, 03:54 PM
Be there and be square it is a responsibility

Lock-n-Load
12-29-03, 04:12 PM
:marine: That's right, Doc....Just show up and the jury selection process will allow you to serve or you will be dismissed.:marine:

usmcsgt65
12-29-03, 07:02 PM
Nevada has added a twist to the summons. It is a new law. You must go, only a judge can let you out of it.

leroy8541
12-29-03, 08:41 PM
I always go, its a day off from work, paid. I never seem to get picked. Had to go about 3 weeks after returning from Desert Storm, showed up in dress blues the defense attorney dissmissed my butt right off the bat.