PDA

View Full Version : Advice for SOI ITB

Froberso
01-26-14, 08:24 PM
Just wondering what to expect. What is PT like? Do we run a PFT/CFT? I believe the longest hump is 20k. Any instructors or newly graduated Marines able to provide info?

josephd
01-26-14, 08:36 PM
unless things have changed, there isn't much "PT". Almost every day you're there you will on a quick paced march/hike to a training area or range which is harder than any PT you'll do.

Quantico 1964
02-04-14, 09:46 AM
I can only tell you from what my son texts me. He is presently in ITB at Geiger. They take your phone away, enjoy lots of MREs, so far he has had a 5,10, 14 and 20k with 120lb+ gear. Loves the fact that he is getting to shoot all the hardware. Said he couldn't wipe the smile off his face after shooting the Ma Duce (0331). Some NCOs still treat you like recruits, some treat you like Marines. He asked for gel shoes inserts, Clif Bars and hand warmers.

josephd
02-04-14, 11:06 AM
I can only tell you from what my son texts me. He is presently in ITB at Geiger. They take your phone away, enjoy lots of MREs, so far he has had a 5,10, 14 and 20k with 120lb+ gear. Loves the fact that he is getting to shoot all the hardware. Said he couldn't wipe the smile off his face after shooting the Ma Duce (0331). Some NCOs still treat you like recruits, some treat you like Marines. He asked for gel shoes inserts, Clif Bars and hand warmers.

that smile goes away real quick when you have to police call all the brass, trust me!....especially when you have to do it over and over again because you missed one link, casing, or piece of trash on the range.

Quantico 1964
02-04-14, 11:23 AM
Copy that Joe! I tried to tell him before he enlisted. But he is a quick learner, and based on his text messages, he has already figured out what "sucks".:evilgrin: I must say, that it is fun to see the changes the Crotch has undergone in the last half- century since my time. Willie-Peter bags are now sea bags, utilities are now cammies (and you don't starch them), boots don't need shining, dress shoes are patent leather, the 782 gear doesn't have a back-pack-flap-strap, but at least he is learning why dad fell in love with his M-14! Damn I'm old.

John Price
02-04-14, 06:16 PM
It's harder than boot camp that's for sure. Most of your time will be spent out in the field learning your MOS. Yes, there will be a lot of MRE's. You'll be learning how to use different weapons of sorts. You will also spend a lot nights in the field as well. Those are just the basics, I'd tell you more, but it would fill up an entire page. Good luck and Semper Fi!

03GyRene
02-05-14, 08:14 AM
SOI came way after my time...when I went through it was ITS (Infantry Training School). It was physically a lot harder than boot camp because we were humping those hills at Pendleton every day getting to the live fire ranges. We had a corporal who was an A-hole with a CAPITAL A. he was PO'd at us one day and made us walk on our hands on the wash racks between the barracks until hands were nothing but a giant blister. What's funny is that at the same time one of my former DIs was taking his new platoon through some training at Pendleton and he saw me in the chow hall. He was a growly voiced former Recon guy. he asked me what happened to my hands and how I got the blisters. When I told him, he marched over to my barracks and had a little, errr, meeting with the A hole corporal. The A hole corporal never pulled anything like that again. fun times!
:usmc: