PDA

View Full Version : God, Country, Corps

wrbones
09-01-02, 12:34 AM
There was a scene in a movie awhile back that struck me to the core. It was showing some new Marines in the rec room of the barracks watching TV. They were talking and watching TV when the the programming ended. A picture of the flag came on, the Star Spangled Banner started to play, and they rose to attention and saluted the flag on the TV screen. In real life at the then recieving barracks in Tustin in 1977, I was one such Marine to do this. I was not alone. Seeing that scene in the movie brought tears to my eyes as I remembered how I felt about my nation, my fellow Marines and the God I have often ignored.

I joined the Marine Corps for a variety of reasons. It was a "new" Marine Corps. An all volunteer force. I had always wanted to be either an artist (I did have some talent), or a Marine. On a bet the summer of 1976, my younger brother James and I signed the paperwork. One month later we were in MCRD San Diego. I believed in the Constitution, and in the Declaration of Independence. Having some knowledge of God, or rather organized religion, I had more or less written God off. However, as the old saying goes, you can take the man out of the Bible belt, but you can't take the Bible belt out of the man. Many of those lessons linger to this day.

I had learned the value of team work in sports in high school, but I had never really belonged anywhere until I became a Marine. I was proud to become one, and somewhat stunned that I had made it when the final "Dismissed!" came in boot camp in October of 1976. I belonged! I was a part of something special, of something inherently good. I will remain proud of that accomplishment to my dying day. I will also remain somewhat stunned over that same accomplishment til my dying day.

It took some time for me to grow into my new role as a United States Marine, but eventually I became comfortable in it, and in my awesome responsiblilities. I learned and I grew, making many mistakes along the way, but I learned.

I learned that no Marine was complete without his fellow Marines around him. We were a team. The men who came to be under me learned this also, I hope. Take care of each other. Always back each other up. Always cover for each other. Always do what you can to help each other. Don't fight and argue among yourselves in the open. Try not to fight among yerselves at all, but when you do, talk it out later when you've cooled off a bit. I always took the best care of my men as was possible for me to do. When they did well, I told everyone! When they screwed up, I took the hit! They were my men. They were my house! I loved them all in my own way. I was always excited to see one of them get promoted, or get a chance to advance themselves. I did what I could to help them do it. I was proud of them! They learned to work together at all times! They learned to party when the mission was accomplished. They learned to expect more of themselves than others did! They were all good men. They always did more than anyone ever expected them too!

All I can do to help Marines here is to talk to you in this very inadequate fashion. It is the only thing I can presently do to be of service to any of you.

Since I came online just a few months ago, I've been amazed at what I've seen both good and bad from Marines on the net. The knowledge and intelligence and honor and respect and a multitude of good and gracious things among the Marines I've seen and met online has been heartening.

Some things I often see have an effect on me that I do not have the words to describe. The division, the selfishness, the ill thought arguements and attacks upon fellow Marines. One site atacking another site, and not just the two you may have in mind, either. I've seen it again and again all over the web. Yes, even here. Sometimes it is difficult to sleep at night when I consider these things. How can we accomplish any mission at all when we are so divided and selfish? What happened to leadership principles that were principles of service to others. Your Marines can't perform the mission unless you are taking care of them! Good care of them!

I speak to you all, not just a few!

I'm far from naive. I've seen far to much in life for that.

What I would like to see you folks do, is to consider three things:

God

Country

Corps

If what you want is not good for those three first, it is probably not good for you in the long run.

Be at peace, Marines.

There is enough to fight outside of the wire.

Barndog
09-01-02, 05:17 AM
What 'I' see Bones, to extend your statement further - seeing how I have been online for (egads) 7 years now...
Theres a feeling of empowerment sitting behind this screen (monitor and keyboard). Alot of people whom for whatever reasons, cannot properly socialize in the general population, can now do so, with the assistance of computers. A beautiful thing, to be sure.
At the same time - there are those who use this 'empowerment' to a whole different level - to become abusive, show someone else 'up', participate in cyber-terrorism and the like. Why? Because they CAN. It's still a free country, and the internet is still largely still unregulated worldwide.
I'm been a moderator in an IRC chat for 5 years. I have seen those 'cyber-terrorist' attacks like you see on the news. I have stopped them also. Most of them you can't stop. Same rules apply for convicts in prison; you give a person nothing but time, and they'll figure out a way to get the guard.

The OTHER thing I understand about computers and the people who use them is: give someone a position of power and control, and it goes to their heads. Lots of people never had power or control in their lives. The mere opportunity to have some power (even if it is a chat room or a forum moderator) is easily and widly abused - seen it many many times).

The MOST effective tool I have ever seen to stop abuse on the net ( now, keep in mind I have some highly effective 'tools') is the IGNORE function.
This IGNORE function requires but a couple small steps to initiate it.

1). Rational thought - Remember when you ignore someone, it may **** them off further - but by and large, they just go away.
2). Know how to DISABLE IT - it may be one of your buddies playing a game with you

Now, if I am not mistaken, this is a JAVA-enabled chat (JAVA meaning S-L-O-W) - if any of you ever used IRC, you would know what I was talking about. Sometimes, it takes a minute for things to happen.

Ever notice how things in life can be pulled into a couple basic groups?

Ego, money, power, greed....... ever notice how they all feed off one another???

Semper FI

Barndog

Jim
09-01-02, 06:20 AM
You have hit the essence of the Marine NCO, and hopefully the officers as well. The mission must be done but nothing, absolutely nothing, is more important than your Marines. You help, lead, push, shove do whatever it takes to care for them and get the job done. The Marine NCO is a "middle man", you are the link between those that give the orders and those that do them. You must deal with the results of the implementation of those orders, especially if Marines are injured as a result. It's not an easy role but it is one that is gloriously rewarding if you do it well. All of us have stories of the Marine NCO that kept us straight even if it meant a trip "behind the woodshed". One gunny stands out in my memory. We knew without a doubt that he would back us all the way if we did our best, even if the results dipleased those above him. As long as he knew we did all that we could do, he would fight for us. On the other hand, we also knew that we didn't want to face him if we hadn't put out the effort. No worries about what the top or the skipper would do. You couldn't face the gunny's wrath. So guess what his troops did, their best. You sound as if you learned that lesson well and passed it on to your Marines.

Semper Fi

wrbones
09-19-02, 05:05 PM
narcissitic bump.

Maybe I'll become a flower....:D

Some of you folks might like to take a gander at the thread Honour on this same forum if ya haven't seen it.

USMC0311
09-19-02, 07:50 PM
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

I think this approriate for God, Country and Corps TY Bones

Semper Fi, Marines

thedrifter
06-10-03, 10:47 AM
Bump...We can see how Our Brother Bones blossemed...

God, Country and Corps

Sempers,

Roger