PDA

View Full Version : Retired Marine Ernie Napper adds life to Disneyland’s flag retreat

Phantom Blooper
01-14-14, 06:21 AM
LA Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com (http://www.dailynews.com/))
Retired Marine Ernie Napper adds life to Disneyland’s flag retreat

http://www.dailynews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/LA/20131107/NEWS/131109533/AR/0/AR-131109533.jpg&MaxW=250

After Disneyland closes for the night, the security officer stands alone under the Main Street flagpole getting ready to go home. He looks up at the light still burning in the apartment window above the firehouse, and tips his hat.
“Goodnight, Mr. Disney,” Ernie Napper says to himself. “The flag retreat ceremony was beautiful again tonight, sir. Big crowd with lots of kids and old veterans. You would have loved it, sir.”
The 63-year-old retired Marine imagines Disney, who died in 1966, standing there inside his private apartment where he spent many days and nights staring out that window at the crowds walking into his fantasy kingdom.

He sees the boss looking back at him and waving, as if to say ‘Good night, Ernie, go home and get some sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow.’
“I see him in my mind as clear as day,” Ernie says, getting ready for another Veterans Day. “Mr. Disney started the flag retreat ceremony in 1955. He’d stand at that window at sunset and watch the security officers bring the flag down and fold it up.
“Mr. Disney was a real patriot, same as me. That’s why I love working here so much. You know how they call it the happiest place on earth? Well, it is for me.”

Sweetheart of a guy, Ernie. I met him a few years back when he was visiting St. Martin’s School in Canoga Park to talk to the kids on Veterans Day. He stood on that stage looking razor sharp in his Marine Corps dress uniform — trim and fit, like he could still take that hill if ordered. Sir.
Ernie spent 21 years, 6 months, and 3 days in the Marine Corp — from Vietnam to the Gulf War. When he retired as a gunnery sergeant he came straight here — the happiest place on earth — to work as a security officer on the swing shift from 3 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

He’s still working the swing shift 21 years later. Still taking the flag down five nights a week at sunset. He’ll be doing it until he physically can’t do it anymore. But don’t hold your breath, he says.
“Ernie exemplifies patriotism,” says Jon Storbeck, vice president of Disneyland Park. “He recently received the highest honor our cast members can achieve, the Walt Disney Legacy Award, for consistently inspiring others.”
Disney had already been gone 26 years before Ernie arrived in 1992. There were many nights in those early years when Ernie thought the flag retreat ceremony might go with him.

“Few guests seemed to be interested in what was going on,” he says. “Hardly anyone was there when we took the flag down for the night. It didn’t seem important to anybody, but it was important to me. And I know it was important to Mr. Disney, too.”
What would the boss think now staring down from his apartment window at the sparse turnout, Ernie wondered? He wouldn’t like what he was seeing, that’s for sure. Just a few people standing around a boom box playing the National Anthem.
There were more people over at lost and found.

But how do you get paying customers off the rides and out of the shows to spend 20 minutes watching a flag come down a pole? That’s not why people take their kids to Disneyland.
That’s when Ernie got an idea that would have made Walt Disney proud — maybe even earned him a nice raise. The security officer started talking to Mickey and Minnie — to Cinderella and Snow White — to Alice in Wonderland and Donald Duck when he was making his rounds.
He talked to all the Disneyland cast members in costumes, asking them to please stop by the flagpole at sunset, and bring the kids and their parents with them.

Well you know what happened next. The flag retreat ceremony became an E ticket. From Adventureland to Fantasyland — from Tomorrowland to Frontierland — kids began lining up behind their favorite characters and marching to the Main Street flagpole at sunset with their parents and grandparents in tow.
Before long the boom box was replaced by the Main Street Band and Dapper Dans playing and singing patriotic songs to crowds lined up three deep to see the nightly flag retreat.
“When I look into that crowd now I see a lot of veterans saluting, and kids and their parents with their hand over their heart,” Ernie says. “I see some tears and a lot of pride on faces, too.”

After the 20-minute ceremony is over, families head back to the rides and attractions while Ernie starts making his rounds through the park to make sure everything is okay in the happiest place on earth.
When his shift is over and it’s time to go home, he’ll stop by the flagpole to look up at the only window still lit on the Main Street Square. He’ll pay his respects to the man standing beside the lamp that never gets turned off.
“Good night, Mr. Disney,” the security officer will say to himself. “See you tomorrow.”

Dennis McCarthy’s column appears on Friday. For comments or story ideas, he can be reached at dmccarthynews@gmail.com

Rocky C
01-14-14, 08:44 AM
Great Post. I didn't know of this story.

Semper Fi Ernie, thank you Marine.

Rocky

CatLUVR11
01-16-14, 12:18 AM
Thank you for this heart-warming story.

tuboe
01-19-14, 03:36 PM
As a teen, I saw Walt Disney and guests enter “It’s a Small World” ride, which had just opened. I admired Mr. Disney because of his patriotic love of America. At that time in the late 60’s, Disney Land had special tickets for Military personnel and their dependents, as is in my case, when my dad made a six month tour of duty to the WESTPAC he was able to get tickets at Special Services for $1.00 each, this provided entry and unlimited rides. The time I saw Mr. Disney was when my dad’s ship was hit by rockets, and one of them exploded just off the outer bulkhead of the ship and a piece of shrapnel pierced the outer bulkhead passed through the First Class Lounge and through the bulkhead that was just above the hatchway my dad was standing in, mustering his men to their battle stations. Before dad’s ship came in, mom, had my grandma come down from Idaho to meet the ship (DD895 USS Turner Joy); shortly afterward we took grandma to Disneyland. Just a few years later I joined the Marine Corp. I called my dad a squid and he would reply “watch it Jarhead, I’m a Chief Petty Officer” (E7), I was only a sergeant. I lost him in 2008.

CatLUVR11
01-20-14, 03:56 AM
Wow, these are some wonderful memories. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Your dad sounds like a great man. So sorry for your loss. Walt Disney was truly a kid at heart. I LOVE Disneyland. It really is the happiest place on earth even for us adults.

irpat54
01-20-14, 04:24 AM
Wow, these are some wonderful memories. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Your dad sounds like a great man. So sorry for your loss. Walt Disney was truly a kid at heart. I LOVE Disneyland. It really is the happiest place on earth even for us adults.
:thumbup: so true.. love the place myself,, never been to the one in Florida, hope to go there sometime soon..

tuboe
01-20-14, 10:41 PM
He was and more.

tuboe
01-21-14, 03:37 AM
Wow, these are some wonderful memories. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Your dad sounds like a great man. So sorry for your loss. Walt Disney was truly a kid at heart. I LOVE Disneyland. It really is the happiest place on earth even for us adults. Dad was and more.

CatLUVR11
01-21-14, 03:57 AM
:thumbup: so true.. love the place myself,, never been to the one in Florida, hope to go there sometime soon..

HI Pat! I would love to go to Disney World too. In the meantime, Disneyland will do. I love sitting by sleeping beauty's castle close to Snow White's wishing well and just taking in magic of the place, kinda reliving my childhood. Also love the pirates ride. Did you know that there is a real human skull on that ride? True story.

Rocky C
01-21-14, 04:38 PM
I took my children to Disney World years and years ago.
I would love to go back.
What a magical place.
You're never too old to go there.

I think I will do that...

Phantom Blooper
01-22-14, 05:16 AM
It's a world of laughter,
A world of tears.
It's a world of hopes,
And a world of fears.
There's so much that we share,
That it's time we're aware,