PDA

View Full Version : Regiment regulates in '03 - Recruit Training Regiment holds on to lead in CG's Field

thedrifter
12-22-03, 08:18 AM
Regiment regulates in '03 - Recruit Training Regiment holds on to lead in CG's Field Meet, takes home Cup
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20031215132415
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(December 12, 2003) -- The weather was perfect Tuesday morning as Depot Marines, sailors and Coast Guardsmen squared off at the boathouse for the Commanding General's Cup grand finale: the CG's Field Meet.

Recruit Training Regiment entered the event with a point total of 178. Headquarters and Service Battalion was second with 153 points, and 12th Marine Corps District rounded off the top three with a score of 105.

The field meet was a huge factor in the final scores. The winner received 30 points; second place got 20, and third place got 10 points.

The first event of the day was the Dizzy Izzy, a relay race with a twist. Runners sprinted to one line, picked up a baseball bat, spun around several times and sprinted back to the starting line in a dizzy haze. It was a close race, but when the dust cleared, two RTR teams had staggered across the finish line first and second. H and S Bn. finished third. 12th MCD's Gunnery Sgt. Matthew Sewell gave a notable performance when he stumbled off the track completely and crashed into spectators.

"I didn't realize it was so hard to run dizzy," said Lance Cpl. Brian Loeffel of H and S Bn. "After I dropped the bat and tried to run, it seemed like the track was spinning. I didn't know where I was going."

As RTR inched closer to victory, it was the Coast Guard that brought the heat in the next event: the tug of war.

Beating teams of H and S Marines and drill instructors, the Coasties fought their way to the final round and pulled off a nail-biter.

"The Coast Guard went the green mile in the tug of war," said 1st Sgt. Alphonso Mack, Service Company first sergeant. "They fought extremely hard to beat us."

H and S Bn. finished third in the event and eased themselves into RTR's range by placing in the top three in both events.

On to the harbor water, teams geared up for the kayak relay, the wettest and most strenuous of the five events.

Teams of four kayakers shoved off two at a time, as they paddled down the straightaway around two bowies and back to the dock. H and S Bn. came out fired up as a team composed of Maj. Rhesa Ashbacher, Capt. Jerry Bloomquist, Cpl. Blaine Spry and Lance Cpl. Greg Rosencrants dominated the event, outpaddling everyone else and ultimately winning the event. Toward the end, Spry and Rosencrants had such a big lead, they lifted their paddles out of the water and waved to the spectators as they coasted in for the victory.

"The key was teamwork," said Ashbacher. "Tight turns and a good paddling rhythm helped a lot."

After a short break, teams regrouped for the least strenuous, and perhaps silliest event, the egg toss. In the egg toss, two members from each team stood apart at an equal distance and tossed a raw egg back and forth, moving farther apart after each toss. The team left standing with an unbroken egg was declared the winner. After every team advanced to the furthest line, H and S Bn.'s team of Col. Ana R. Smythe and Sgt. Maj. Annanias Rose stood unsoiled by yolk. 12th District finished second.

"I've never caught an egg in my life," said Smythe. "Sgt. Maj. Rose got some eggs from the mess hall and practiced with me. I think we went through a dozen eggs. The key to winning was the 'catch-and-give' method."

Going to the final event, RTR and H and S Bn. were neck and neck. The sprint relay seemed to be right up RTR's alley, as drill instructors must be in excellent physical shape. Each team of four had to sprint 300 feet to a cone, turn around, sprint back to the start and tag the next team member.

After every heat had run its course, two teams from RTR and two teams from H and S Bn. were left to face off in the final round. Not only the event, but the entire field meet was on the line. After runners jockeyed for position and gave it their all, RTR came out on top, winning by a nose. H and S Bn. took second and the other RTR team took third.

At the end of the field meet, all the participants and spectators gathered around the stage as Brig. Gen. John M. Paxton Jr., commanding general, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego and the Western Recruiting Region, took the microphone.

"I've never seen so many dizzy people and drowned rats," joked Paxton. "Everyone out here did a great job today and I salute you."

After the points were totaled, it was time to present the trophies. In the field meet, RTR took first place, H and S Bn. took second and the Coast Guard took third. With the massive points added, the final standings for the CG's Cup were announced. RTR won with a score of 218, H and S Bn. came in second with 183 points and 12th District finished with 121.

After a good effort from every team, RTR left with the championship trophy and a check for $300. H and S Bn. received $200, and 12th District was given $100.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003121513359/$file/DOM_CGCup_lr.jpg

Col. Mark Callihan, commanding officer, Recruit Training Regiment, left, and Sgt. Maj. Melvin L. Shepard, sergeant major, Recruit Training Regiment, accept the Commanding General's Cup after the CG's field meet Tuesday from Brig Gen. John M. Paxton Jr., commanding general, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego and the Western Recruiting Region, and Sgt. Maj. Frank Pulley, Depot sergeant major. Photo by: Sgt. L. F. Langston

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/BD3352EC480CDBA085256DFD0065190F?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: