PDA

View Full Version : Straight Scoop?

chazb
12-29-13, 11:21 AM
I'm looking for some help in sifting through the info my son's recruiter has given him because I have a bad feeling, he is being nudged in a direction he doesn't want to go? I likely will be speaking to one of the recruiters later this week but could use some help in understanding from some former recruiters if possible?

My son originally wanted to go 03 and wanted to ship in March '14. A "poolee" drop opened an option for him to go in the 02 field and ship at the end of Jan. He scored very well on the DLAB and they were going to slot him for Crypto Linguist. However, because he had not been on DEP very long, the "higher ups" squashed it. This is what he was told and that they did not know when the next available slot for the Crypto Linguist would come available.

So, to accommodate his desire to ship in March, he was told that the only jobs available to him are some administrative jobs (clerks) or Marine Security Forces. So, he unfortunately signed a contract for MSF! Since then, he has reconsidered and told his recruiter that he wants to wait for the next available slot for Crypto Linguist.

This did not go over well with the recruiter and they told him he could either re-contract or drop out of DEP. Now, if they can guarantee him this slot or even offer to re-contract......why can't they guarantee him a Crypto Linguist slot? Doesn't make sense to me and almost seems as if they are pushing him into a job THEY need filled instead of putting him where he is qualified and wanting to go? No disrespect to any MSF guys out there but, in terms of career potential both in or out of the Marines, the Linguist job is not something to pass on. Maybe there is something in the overall recruiting game I'm not privy to, but something here just doesn't make sense? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

chulaivet1966
12-29-13, 01:33 PM
why can't they guarantee him a Crypto Linguist slot? Doesn't make sense to me and almost seems as if they are pushing him into a job THEY need filled instead of putting him where he is qualified and wanting to go?

I'm little help but I was under the impression that recruiters have quotas for specific MOS slots and it seems the one your son wants are already filled at this time.
I'm wondering if it's by default that many may have to wait some period of time for their desired MOS to open up with some quota necessary.

Maybe others will chime in with some assistance.

Good luck to your son and I'm only good for a bump.

Carry on....

Marine1955
12-29-13, 01:34 PM
Here dad check out the MOS's for the Marine Corps
02 is real good and means your son is smarter than he knows..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_MOS

Rocky C
12-29-13, 03:25 PM
Chuck,
We have an active duty recruiter on the forum.
If he doesn't see your thread and respond Brother, PM him.

Here is his link.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?108340-Huklebuk

FoxtrotOscar
12-29-13, 09:53 PM
Bottom line... Yes there are quotas to fill, always have been.. these days they can be extremely specific because of the use of computers, this is manpower management at it's best..

The real answer is this.. That "CONTRACT" is not concrete binding until the day of shipping and he sets foot on the "Yellow" footprints...

He needs to make a solid decision and stay with it.. he will just be a mundane person if he isn't happy with his decision..

Far to many get the impression that the Grunt/Recon/Secret Squirrel is mystical, they fail to understand, in reality it's dirty, repetitive and hard living...

Think long and hard about what the kid wants to do, not the parent, they don't become Marines.. the kid does..

Good Luck..

josephd
12-30-13, 12:24 AM
Bottom line... Yes there are quotas to fill, always have been.. these days they can be extremely specific because of the use of computers, this is manpower management at it's best..

The real answer is this.. That "CONTRACT" is not concrete binding until the day of shipping and he sets foot on the "Yellow" footprints...

He needs to make a solid decision and stay with it.. he will just be a mundane person if he isn't happy with his decision..

Far to many get the impression that the Grunt/Recon/Secret Squirrel is mystical, they fail to understand, in reality it's dirty, repetitive and hard living...

Think long and hard about what the kid wants to do, not the parent, they don't become Marines.. the kid does..

Good Luck..

^^^this, this, and this!!

If he has the option to go Security Forces why doesn't he do that??...Security Forces are infantry, they just spend the first 3 years with a FAST team somewhere around the world and then rotate back to a regular line/infantry unit for the last 2 years of their contract. Kinda get the best of both worlds..being a grunt and an easier lifestyle(at the beginning).

Tennessee Top
12-30-13, 07:44 PM
Let's see what the recruiter here says. It seems each recruiting district has their own specific set of rules as set down by that commanding officer.

chazb
12-30-13, 07:57 PM
I'm sure that is true chulaivet 1966. Just not sure how/why things change so rapidly from one week to the next as it relates to what is/was available?

chazb
12-30-13, 08:15 PM
Appreciate everyone's input regarding this. My son in eager to go and get this chapter in his life underway and be a Marine. I was just as motivated and eager to get on with it as he is, I'm just not buffed up on the how all the recruiting numbers work out? I know my recruiter was not as "forthcoming" with facts as he could have been, so I just want to make sure all available options are being presented. Thanks again for all the input.

Old Marine
12-31-13, 09:58 AM
It all comes down to this: NEEDS OF THE CORPS.

SGT7477
12-31-13, 10:10 AM
It all comes down to this: NEEDS OF THE CORPS.

I remember that well 80% 0f our platoon didn't get what they wanted, our platoon commander just smiled welcome to our Marine Corps, Semper Fidelis.

chulaivet1966
12-31-13, 10:31 AM
I'm sure that is true chulaivet 1966. Just not sure how/why things change so rapidly from one week to the next as it relates to what is/was available?

No shvt.....things have changed so drastically since our times.

When I joined it never occurred to me I even had a choice to choose/request any MOS.
I just thought ALL Marines ended up pounding ground and were in the thick of it, so to speak.

I am glad I ended up with my MOS and even happier I survived it all. :)

Best of luck to your son.

Carry on....