PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard comes ashore in preparation for war

thedrifter
12-21-03, 06:49 AM
Coast Guard comes ashore in preparation for war
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 20031219221234
Story by Cpl. Jose L. Garcia

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. -- A group of Coast Guardsmen showed Camp Pendleton Marines they were born again hard.

Reserve Coast Guardsmen from Coast Security Unit 311, Unit Security Division, San Pedro attended a one-week Rear Area Security Course given by 1st Force Service Support Group's Combat Skill Training School.

The Coast Guardsmen were introduced to basic infantry skill of fire team formations, patrolling, land navigation, convoy operations, immediate action drills, fighting positions and various types of weapons.

It's been an eye-opening experience for the newly-greened reservists. Coast Guard Reservist Petty Officer 3rd Class Don Surber said the only military experience he's received was a two-week indoctrination process when he initially enlisted.

Surber has since drilled three weekends since joining the Coast Guard Reserves.

"Everything I'm experiencing right now is brand new," said the 39-year-old. "I joined the reserve unit in August and I don't have any prior military experience and from my understanding, this course is a requirement before deploying to Iraq."

His unit returned from Iraq in June and he expects to deploy with his new unit. Their mission last time was to secure the oil pipes along the Iraqi coast.

"Anytime we have a question, Marines are willing to help out and are interested in what we have to say," Surber said.

The training was a new experience for the Coast Guardsmen. Normally, they work along shore, providing services in ports and harbors.

"Coast Guard security units are designed to perform rear area security for the Navy and Marines bases while deployed overseas," said Coast Guard Petty Officer 3rd Class Eric T. Scott.

"So the Marines here give us that kind of training that we need. We don't have this type of training in the Coast Guard," he said.

Along with the instructors, Marines attending the same course also helped the Coast Guard through training.

"I feel like they are learning a lot from us," said Cpl. Robert Ortiz an instructor with CSTS from 1st FSSG. "This is a new experience for them but we are here to assist and help them learn. This is my first time interacting with the Coast Guard."

The one-week warfare training allowed Marines and coast guardsmen to exchange military and civilian job experiences too.

"It's interesting because you get the feed back from the Marines on what they have been through while in Iraq," said Coast Guard Seaman Chris Lavender. "We look up to the Marines to help us out. This training will definitely help me out."

"Coast Guardsmen are more eager to learn and take training more serious than any other student that comes through here," said Sgt. Chris T. Burger, CSTS instructor with 1st FSSG. "They never had warfare training like this before so it's important for them to learn as much as possible."

The Coast Guardsmen teamed up for a series of challenges throughout the week, but some of the grittiest was the endurance course.

"The endurance course has been the toughest part of this training," said Coast Guard Lt. Clinton S. Carlson. "I've been doing some running, but this is definitely hard and tough."

Still, the chance to cross-train with another service was a valuable experience. The Coast Guardsmen got a chance to experience first-hand the field skills they might call in to use for upcoming deployments.

"Working with the Marines has been a really good learning experience for everybody because we have to work together overseas," Carlson said. "We learned how to do it your way and it is the right way. They tease us about being 'Coasties' and we tease them about being 'jarheads'."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031219222333/$file/coastguard01lr.jpg

Coast Guard reservists from Port Security Unit 311, San Pedro, Calif., crawl under barbed wire during a course at the Combat Skill Training School at Camp Pendleton, Calif. The course is a requirement for the Coast Guard before deploying to Iraq. Photo by: Cpl. Jose L. Garcia

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/850AA58BEEB844D385256E020011A147?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: