PDA

View Full Version : peace through destruction, reeks payoff

Sparrowhawk
12-19-03, 05:58 PM
Its clear that the war in Afganistan, Iraq and efforts to stop North Korea’s nuclear program had sent a clear message to countries in the Middle East.

Now, Libya knows that they must abandon their own weapons of mass destruction programs.

,Hr>

Libya to give up weapons programs
Bush, Blair announce Gadhafi has agreed to end all WMD programs
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 6:30 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2003WASHINGTON - Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi has admitted trying to develop weapons of mass destruction but now plans to dismantle all such programs, President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Friday.

Bush said Libya’s decision — which would open the country to international weapons inspectors — would be “of great importance” in stopping weapons of mass destruction in a global fight against terrorism.

Britain and the United States have been talking about the issue with Libya for nine months, Blair said.

“Libya came to us in March following successful negotiations on Lockerbie to see if it could resolve its weapons of mass destruction issue in a similarly cooperative manner,” Blair said in England.

At the White House, Bush said the war in Iraq and efforts to stop North Korea’s nuclear program had sent a clear message to countries such as Libya that they must abandon weapons programs.

“In word and in action, we have clarified the choices left to potential adversaries,” Bush said. That was an apparent reference to Iran and North Korea, two other countries that the United States contends are trying to develop weapons of mass destruction.

Without naming them, Bush added: “I hope other leaders will find an example” in Libya’s action.

If Libya follows through with its commitment, Bush said, “its good faith can be returned.”

‘Close to developing’ nuclear bomb
Britain said Libya was close to making a nuclear bomb and had significant quantities of chemical agents before it reached the deal announced on Friday to abandon weapons of mass destruction.

Libya had not acquired a nuclear bomb, “though it was close to developing one,” a British official said.

The official said a British team working with the Libyans had been shown “significant quantities of chemical agent” and that Libya had acknowledged that it was developing nuclear material intended to create a weapon.

The team saw nuclear projects underway at more than 10 sites, including the enrichment of uranium. It also saw dual-use sites with the potential to support work on biological weapons.

It would be up to Libya to disclose the details of the weapons programs to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, as it has now agreed to do, the official said.

Seeking longer-range missiles
According to a recent unclassified report to Congress, Libya’s longest-range missiles were thought to be Scud-B ballistic missiles. These have a range of 186 miles. U.S. intelligence reports suggest Libya has been seeking missiles with longer ranges.

Libya had relied heavily on foreign assistance for its weapons programs. It had already made overtures suggesting it would slow or halt its programs to improve its international standing.

The U.S. intelligence statements on Libya’s alleged weapons programs suggest efforts in that country were not as advanced as Iraq’s were before the U.S.-led invasion.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

greybeard
12-19-03, 06:27 PM
That--or he decided he didn't want to end up livin in a hole like a freakin rat!!!

ivalis
12-19-03, 07:06 PM
or, the check from haliburton cleared

garryh123
12-19-03, 07:26 PM
Or- ivalis- maybe clintons check to Haliburton (Bosnia) Cleared.

ivalis
12-19-03, 07:32 PM
garry, apparently you've missed the rehabilitation of Ghadafi. He's been climbing out of the international sh!t hole since he turned over the Lockerbie bombers.

it you thing money isn't invovled you're naive.

we're trying the same thing w/ N. Korea.

i hope it works, it's cheaper i the long run.

garryh123
12-19-03, 07:43 PM
He just doesnt want to end up like saddam.......you just seem to have a thing about Haliburto/Republicans....I was just pointing out that your fearless(hah) leader- clinton- also used Haliburton.

greensideout
12-19-03, 09:26 PM
Yes, he can use the money---His old tent and carpets still have burn spots from the great Reagan years---LOL.

ivalis
12-19-03, 10:51 PM
garry, "clinton's check to haliburton"??? you are an idiot

greybeard
12-20-03, 12:36 PM
ivalis-The 'idiot' remark was kinda personal wasn't it? Care to qualify the "or the check from Halliburton cleared' comment, as related to one of the richest oil producing countries in the world?
Quadaffi, as the de facto head of the Libyan military dictatorship, is one of the world's richest rulers and could buy Haliburton several times over with pocket change-not the other way around. Libya's assets have been frozen since the Lockerbe bombing but that has not stopped them from investing in Afica and in much of Europe as well. Libya is slated to become the acting chairman state of the UN's Human Right's Comittee in the very near future. It behooves Quadaffi to keep appearances up-hence his decision to admit responsibility for the Lockerbee bombing and his recent decision to remove any WoMDs. The UN human right's chairmanship will add an air of legitimacy to his vision of a United States of Africa, which he has long sought. He needs the sanctions lifted in order to easily funnel Libya's oil wealth into Africa, while his country's general population is besieged by poverty and human right's abuse. Saddam Hussien was worth billions a year ago, since his family and cohorts controlled all aspects of Iraqi oil revenues. Now, I doubt he was allowed to keep the $750,000 he was found with. No, Ivalis, Muhmmar wasn't bought off. He saw what happens to despots. He's smart enough to realize when to wake up & smell the coffee.

The fact that he start sniffing it a few years ago is inconsequential. As I saw posted elsewhere, I imagine back when the Marines and 3rd ID 1st rolled into Iraq, he understood one thing all too well.

There was a dinstinct possiblity that the United States Marine Corps would one day soon, go to The Shores of Tripoli for a return engagement.
Good-by oil wealth, good-by UN chairmanship, good-by United States of Africa legacy.

garryh123
12-20-03, 01:06 PM
ivalis is just being a liberal. I'll not stoop to your level and start callin names. And yes- clinton used Haliburton in Bosnia. If I have my facts correct there are only 3 companies that do the work that Haliburton does. 1 french and 2 U.S. Doesnt seem like a hard choice to me. The french can go take a flying leap and they just chose between the 2 U.S. companies.