PDA

View Full Version : Selected to SSgt, how do the numbers work?

jmacusmc
11-02-13, 11:08 PM
Hello everyone,

I was recently selected to SSgt during the last SSgt board in September. I am currently on recruiting duty and I am having trouble finding out how the promotion numbers work in regard to what month I will be pinned on. I believe there are 2920 total names, my number is 2463.

Can someone please explain how the number system works, and maybe give me an estimate as to which month I might get pinned on?

I don't recall this being covered in Sgt's Course, though it has been awhile so maybe they did cover it.

Here's the link to the approved selections to SSgt message: http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages/MessagesDisplay/tabid/13286/Article/149800/fy-2013-approved-selections-to-staff-sergeant.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance, and happy early birthday to us all!

Rocky C
11-03-13, 09:02 AM
Congrats Jeremy !!!
I wish I could tell you Brother but I cannot.
Other Marines will be by to answer your question.

Happy Early Birthday to you also Marine.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

William Hardy
11-04-13, 09:30 PM
Back in my day, I was on Oki when my name came up on the SSGT list. Couldn't believe it since I wasn't going to be eligible for another year. Turns out (back then, I don't know about now) that 10% could come from the "under zone". Then I found out I had a precedence numbe of 35. That meant out of the almost 3,000 selected, I was number 35. How they determined that was never explained to me where I understood it clearly. Seems that it is based on what MOS needed the promotions first and then worked to the back. So whatever the system was, I was a rookie SGT who got luck with an early precedence number. The year I was promoted, I saw the list in late February and I was promoted 01 April. Maybe someone who is currently in Admin can explain this better. Same thing happened to me for Gunny except I made it in the first year of regular eligibility at 5 years TIG and I had a low precedence number again.

OldMarineGy
11-07-13, 10:12 PM
Back in my day when you were selected you received a precedence number and the promotions went in order from 1 downward. The people at MMS looked in their magic manpower number ball and decided how many of the particular rank was needed for the next month. Then viola it was blessed and that number got promoted. That process proceeded until the selection pool was empty.

It can take a while sometimes. When I got selected for SSgt I wasn't even in the selection pool, if I remember correctly (getting old), I think it was called deep selected. I waited for almost 18 months as I was on the bottom.