PDA

View Full Version : Marriage advice?

Sleighbells
11-02-13, 03:01 PM
So I've been dating my girl for a year and a few days shy of a month. I still have MCT and MOS school to go through (0231) and she has one year of school left and then 2 years of nursing school.

Anyone have advice or gone through these times?

I am definitely not getting married now but I dont know when the best time to get married would be.

6 months from now I'll be in the fleet so I'll have been in the fleet for like 3 years when she gets done with all her schooling and was thinking thats the appropriate time to get married?

Just looking for a little devil dog advice.
Thanks
-Nick

Ken Hendry
11-02-13, 03:24 PM
Marine get all your and her schooling out of the way. Living on a PFC pay is not the best way to go.

Sleighbells
11-02-13, 03:35 PM
Thats what I was thinking. When were both done with schooling we will both have income and I think be able to live way more comfortably.

Rocky C
11-02-13, 06:03 PM
Wait till your an NCO. That will give you over 3 years until she is out of school and then you can afford it.

Apache
11-03-13, 10:27 AM
Concur with Rocky
Wait till both of you are "somewhat" situated and financed.
Marriage is for life----
You don't want a wedge in a new relationship before you even have a chance.

There will be obstacles you cannot control, but this one you can influence

mexbearlll
11-03-13, 11:23 PM
Nick, I don't think there is a "best time", as for ME and MY WIFE we got married 1 week before High School Ended, 10 days before I left for BootCamp! And its been over 32 Years now! Just make sure YOU both want the samethings out of life. Every time I picked up a stripe, we had a child. LOL,You just both have to be willing to make it work out, just my 2 cents.

mexbearlll
11-04-13, 03:25 AM
And yes, WE are still married.

Tennessee Top
11-05-13, 09:49 AM
I think your idea of waiting till both of your schooling is complete is the best plan. You don't need the distractions of trying to support a wife while you're in school and she'll be much more employable once she gets her nursing license. On top of that, you'll both be a little older and wiser. Just take extra care to make sure a surprise package (unplanned baby) does not show up along the way and force you to change your plans (and delay her education).