PDA

View Full Version : Question about MCRDSD

usmchauer
12-18-03, 12:33 PM
Good Morning All,
Myself and a friend went down to MCRD San Diego this weekend and I saw something that was sort of odd I thought. We saw several platoons marching around and of course the Drill Instructors were there making sure the recruits were pivoting, taking a full 30 and all that jazz. All the Drill Instructors were wearing Service B Mods (green trousers, wooly pulley and long sleeve shirt) but for each platoon only one Drill Instructor was wearing the ''Smokey Bear'' cover, all the rest were wearing the **** cover. Could the other Marines be Marines that are in D.I. school? My guess is that they were. I had never been to MCRDSD (I went to Parris Island for boot camp) but i'll say, it was sure nice to be able to go there and not have to push : )

Sender
12-18-03, 01:21 PM
You assumption is correct! As a former Drill Instructor, (1st Blt A Co, San Diego 1997-2000), we always had the current DI school class come out for three days and get a taste of what they signed up for before they actually graduated. They all get a chance to get their feet wet just as I did before I went to my actual training Company.

jakebrown1
12-19-03, 08:09 AM
I can attest to this as well. During Third Phase of my Boot Camp training (April 1992, MCRDSD), we had three DI School students spend a few days with us. As far as students were concerned, they seemed to do pretty well. Still to this day I remember one of them as being exceptionally motivating. He also resembled my uncle when he was a DI, so that was pretty cool.

usmchauer
12-19-03, 11:16 AM
Thank you for the replies Gentlemen. I was kind of shocked and couldn't figure out why wouldn't they be wearing the campaign covers, but you guys answered my question.

Sender
12-19-03, 11:38 AM
Good to Go