PDA

View Full Version : Today is WINGER DAY!

RichLundeen
12-17-03, 08:58 PM
This is Winger's day. The 100th birthday of powered flight. The day Orville and Wilber gave you guys something with which to make all the smoke and noise.

LIFT 'EM UP!

Semper Fi

Rich

yellowwing
12-17-03, 11:02 PM
Semper Fi! Swing with the Wing!

hankhoffman
12-18-03, 11:20 AM
I was one of the Marines that picked up the parts when the aircraft did not fly the way it was designed to. CRASH FIRE RESCUE!!

Semper Fi - Yellowwing, I ahve not seen "Swing with the Wing in some time now.

airframesguru
12-18-03, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Semper Fi! Swing with the Wing!

Kick the tires, and Light the Fires...
Ok Boys, Wind the Rubber!

It's all safer than walking.

Happy 100th Birthday Mr. Airplane!

Sempers,

MW:thumbup: :D :D

airframesguru
12-18-03, 01:11 PM
UH-34D, Any one got time on one of these?

Sempers,

MW

greensideout
12-18-03, 09:16 PM
A whole bunch airframeguru, check out Marine Corps History on this site.

If you took this photo---what's up with the paint job and what year and unit?

I can almost hear her roar! :)

greensideout
12-18-03, 09:29 PM
Airframeguru, for some more pic's check out "Vietnan" as well.

greybeard
12-19-03, 09:48 AM
Stand by with the fire exatunquisher. Start the APP, turnin one, turnin 2. Pull the chocks. Clear left-clear right-rolling!
Dimmer Lives!!
Go Purple Fox!! Hit em hard Scarface!! See ya back at Marble.

You're out of ammo? Shoulda brought more-I need all of mine.

hankhoffman
12-19-03, 10:03 AM
They had a 34 sitting at the gate at MCAS Tustin when I was station there.

airframesguru
12-19-03, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by greensideout
A whole bunch airframeguru, check out Marine Corps History on this site.

If you took this photo---what's up with the paint job and what year and unit?

I can almost hear her roar! :)

My dad crewed with 163 and 365 from 67-68. The eyes are a trade mark of the Ridgerunners. Great airplane, I wish I had a chance to fly on one or even turn a wrench. He had lots of memories, and only talked about the "good" ones.

I have his deployment book from 68 (copy). I would like to scan it at some point and post it for other Marines.

Semper Fidelis,

MW
:marine:

airframesguru
12-19-03, 10:59 AM
Here is a picture of Dad in Nam. They don't build'm like this anymore.

http://www.popasmoke.com/visions/index.php?page=search&search=Weiler&sfrom=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&till=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy

SF,

MW

Sparrowhawk
12-19-03, 01:27 PM
Grunts, need Air-Wingers...

Go Faster, Go FASTER! LOL

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/Surf.jpg

choochoo
01-15-07, 09:06 PM
flew in the back of one several times when I was at marble and DaNang.
made quick hops to different area lz's as needed

airframesguru
01-16-07, 06:07 AM
Nope, Didnt take the photo. Should have been HMM-263 "Evil Eyes"

S/F,:marine:

The1stSgt
01-16-07, 06:45 AM
Snake and nape baby, oooh yeah.

F4 Phantom II (VMFA-122, RVN '69)

vanmac
01-16-07, 09:12 AM
Hey, let's have a party. We'll chain down the birds, empty the drip pans, sweep the hangar deck and secure early. And then we'll hitch a ride over to Lundeen's house and discuss what system the plane couldn't fly without. Everyone will have an opportunity to make their case--just don't get those guys in hydraulics too upset.

The1stSgt
01-16-07, 09:17 AM
Hey, the Wright Brothers didn't have hydraulics and they did ok.

greensideout
01-16-07, 06:39 PM
Nope, Didnt take the photo. Should have been HMM-263 "Evil Eyes"

S/F,:marine:

I was wondering about the "Eyes" paint job because HMM-163 "Rathbun's Ridge Runners" relieved HMM-362 "Archie's Angels" in 1962. That was my unit. Likely 362 and 163 returned in later years of the war.

yellowwing
01-16-07, 06:57 PM
And I don't think they any "Hot Brakes" problems!

I used to begrudge the Crash Crew Marines being immediately served at the chow hall. Then one day they were all just about to sit down to their food when they got the call. "We got some hot brakes!" and bang they were out the door in a flash.

The1stSgt
01-16-07, 07:01 PM
Hey, did any of you rotor heads know a mech named LCPL Stockstil that was with HMM-161 at Marble Mountain in '65-66 time frame?

FistFu68
01-16-07, 07:12 PM
:evilgrin: I'D LIKE TOO,FIND THE CREW OF THE '34,THAT MEDIVACTED MY YOUNG AZZ?UNDER HEAVY ENEMY FIRE,DURING OPERATION MEADE RIVER!PRETTY SURE IT WAS THE PURPLE FOXE'S!NO IT WASN'T MIKE CLAUSSEN, I MET HIM;AND MEADE RIVER WAS HIS FIRST OP,IN COUNTRY;PLUS HE WAS ON 46'S!EITHER WAY THEY WERE (BRAVE MARINES )THAT SAVED MY AZZ!SEMPER~FIDELIS:beer: 10/FOUUUUUUU~20/20:iwo:

The1stSgt
01-16-07, 07:17 PM
Speaking of "hot brakes", I've see F8's and some F4's approach the pits to hot refuel and their brakes would be glowing cherry red.

We would have them shut down, and when the brakes cooled down, refueled them using an NC-10. Then, towed them back to the line with a tow tractor.

Hot refueling was much easier and quicker for the plane captains.

greensideout
01-16-07, 07:54 PM
And I don't think they any "Hot Brakes" problems!

I used to begrudge the Crash Crew Marines being immediately served at the chow hall. Then one day they were all just about to sit down to their food when they got the call. "We got some hot brakes!" and bang they were out the door in a flash.

"Begrudge the Crash Crews"? That was not an assigned MOS, they stepped forward to take it. I lost a good friend, a Swede for Minn. who died trying to save a pilot in a burning crash landing. Not only can they eat first, they can have my plate!

yellowwing
01-16-07, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reminder GSO. Its good to remember what a tough job the Corps does.

Semper Fi Swede :usmc:

jinelson
01-16-07, 09:17 PM
Anyone ever get assigned to wheels watch?

Jim

iamcloudlander
01-17-07, 03:07 AM

Hey cut the bubble chasers some slack LMAO

FistFu68
01-17-07, 03:35 AM
:evilgrin: ANY OF YOU FIXED-WING, MEN;KNOW WHAT A "SNOPPY" IS???:evilgrin:

The1stSgt
01-17-07, 09:27 AM
Sad story about a wheels watch in '69 at Chu Lai, RVN.

A F4 Phantom II from VMFA-122, in foggy low light conditions, miss judged the end of the runway and set down short and to the right of center, resulting in a crash that tore all three landing gears off and all external fixtures (fuel tanks and bomb racks). The plane's left wing hit the wheels watch shack, killing the Marine inside. The aircraft didn't catch on fire, and the aircrew rode it out and were unhurt.

Sad day.

airframesguru
01-17-07, 09:39 AM
Oooops 163 is it (not 263) anywhoo. Most of his buds ended up with the Luck Red lions. He's gone now so its hard to verify what I've forgotten. If I could find the pics, he mad a model at home out of wood. not bad.:beer:

I was wondering about the "Eyes" paint job because HMM-163 "Rathbun's Ridge Runners" relieved HMM-362 "Archie's Angels" in 1962. That was my unit. Likely 362 and 163 returned in later years of the war.

airframesguru
01-17-07, 09:42 AM
Anyone got a gallon of Rotorwash? I'm fresh out. I'd be willing to trade for a like new box of padeyes or a refurbed cable stretcher.

recon532002
01-17-07, 09:49 AM
Mag38 H&HS38 El Toro 1971 Best Duty In the world. On Guard Duty on Saturday Night watching the Drag Races at OCI Raceway All that Speed. An takin care of Tricky Dicky's AF1 Oohrah Semper Fi
RECON

greensideout
01-17-07, 10:01 AM
Anyone got a gallon of Rotorwash? I'm fresh out. I'd be willing to trade for a like new box of padeyes or a refurbed cable stretcher.

I don't have any rotorwash. How about a 100' roll of flightline ?

jinelson
01-17-07, 10:26 AM
recon532002 I was with MABS-13, MAG-13 in 1971 at MCAS El Toro. I was Truck Master at the Motor Pool behind the golf course. We refueled You Cant Lick My Dick's AF-1, and that was the best duty station I served at in the Corps.

Semper Fi

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/2/1/7/0/AF-1MAG13Presidential.jpg
This was President Richard M Nixons bird on the flight line at MCAS El Toro

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/2/1/7/0/ProjectSoar.JPG
Me and my Marines in 1971

kydevildogmark
01-17-07, 11:12 AM
Ground Support Equipment

" Can't Get It Up Without Us"

Hit Em Hard 18 Dirty Bird

Marine84
01-17-07, 11:31 AM
Jim - PLEASE tell me that you were just moving your arm at the time the photographer shot it cause, if you weren't, I'm gonna get ya - YOU GUYS CAN'T KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THEM THINGS!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! And this shot was in a paper! You go boy!

drumcorpssnare
01-17-07, 11:47 AM
Gallon of Rotorwash? 100' of flight line? I have a sneaky suspicion these are similar to a sheetrock stretcher, a five-gallon can of steam, a skyhook, and the famous knothole puller.:banana:

A mechanic I used to work with had a turn signal out of order on his car. He told his wife to go to NAPA and get a gallon of "turn signal fluid." She went to three different places before someone told her there's no such thing!

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

airframesguru
01-17-07, 11:54 AM
I remember having been sent to the shop muscle head for a "one hole (whole) punch.... He hit hard! revenge came when I (we( sent the newbie to the line shack (bastard children, every one of them) with a VIDSMAF that read..."Please restack ID10T unit..." HEHEHE

jinelson
01-17-07, 03:35 PM
LMFAO Kim I never even saw this photo until last year when one of my mechanics Pfc Schmidt (Stumper) found me and sent me the clipping. So kind of you to call everyones attention to what I was doing for the reporter ha ha ha. I will have to start calling you Hawkeye.

Jim