PDA

View Full Version : My GI Bill??

josephd
10-05-13, 12:09 AM
I know this probably belongs in the VA forum but I am posting in here in hopes to get more traffic and views.

I have done plenty of my own research, I also consider myself well versed in the finances and economics behind this shutdown but I am still trying to find an answer to my biggest question...

Has any sort of VA legislation been passed?...Will I be getting a GI Bill payment on November 1st as I should normally?

This is a HUGE part of my monthly budget and I am seriously afraid of what may happen if I don't get my payment next month or there after.

Any serious insights are very much appreciated

Rocky C
10-05-13, 11:39 AM
VA disability payments, pension payments, and GI Bill benefit checks are protected during a shutdown and therefore should not be affected by the government shutdown. HOWEVER, the VA has stated that if the government shutdown lasts beyond 2-3 weeks, the VA may not have sufficient cash to make payments. That means November payments may be affected.

If that happens you will accure the money and be paid when it becomes available.

VA Healthcare will not be affected because they are funded a year in advance.

Tookie22
10-06-13, 09:14 PM
Since it is a new fiscal year... the VA won't have all their money. The way the federal bank works it that it will process all the transactions until there is no money left if the debt ceiling is not raised. Depending on where you fall in line with the hundreds of thousands of transactions you may or may not be affected. It's like drawing straws. Let's hope we do not get shafted because I kinda need to pay my rent as well

josephd
10-06-13, 10:02 PM
Let's hope we do not get shafted because I kinda need to pay my rent as well

no $hit right!.....pays my rent and car payment

ewingblake417
10-08-13, 07:57 PM
The latest word that is being passed down through my chain of command via the education office (prior to furloughs) was exacting what Rocky C said. That payments will continue as normal for as long as there is money from previous fiscal year/already been provided to VA.