PDA

View Full Version : Iraq and what most don't know!!!

thedrifter
12-16-03, 08:11 PM
Iraq and what most don't know!!!

Just in case you might think of Iraq as "only" an oil rich nation, ruled by an evil dictator for 30 years, whether it has been supporting terrorists or not may not be very important. Here are a few important facts regarding history and roles that this nation has played down through history.

IRAQ -- VERY INTERESTING -- DID YOU KNOW??????

1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq. (it sure doesn't look much like Paradise on Earth today, thanks to Saddam)
2. Mesopotamia which is now Iraq was the cradle of civilization.
3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.
4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.
5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq.
6. Isaac's wife Rebekah was from Nahor which is in Iraq.
7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.
8. Jonah preached in Nineveh - which is in Iraq.
9. Assyria which is in Iraq conquered the ten tribes of Israel.
10. Amos cried out in Iraq.
11. Babylon which is in Iraq destroyed Jerusalem.
12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq.
13. The 3 Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (that's good news to know that JESUS has been in Iraq too as the 4th person in the fiery furnace!)
14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon, saw the "writing on the wall" in Iraq. (which hopefully Saddam will too!)
15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive into Iraq.
16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.
17. The wise men were from Iraq. (where are the "wise" men today?)
18. Peter preached in Iraq.
19. The "Empire of Man" described in Revelation is called Babylon which was a city in Iraq!

And you have probably seen this one.

Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do you know which nation is second? It is Iraq!

However, that is not the name that is used in the Bible. The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesopotamia.

The word Mesopotamia means between the two rivers, more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

The name Iraq, means country with deep roots. Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very significant country in the Bible. Here's why.

* Eden was in Iraq--Genesis 2:10-14
* Adam &Eve were created in Iraq--Genesis 2:7-8
* Satan made his first recorded appearance in Iraq--Genesis 3:1-6
* Nimrod established Babylon & theTower of Babel was built in Iraq-- Genesis 10:8-97 & 11:1-4
* The confusion of the languages took place in Iraq--Genesis 11:5-11
* Abraham came from a city in Iraq--Genesis 11:31 &Acts 7:2-4
* Isaac's bride came from Iraq--Genesis 24:3-4 &10
* Jacob spent 20 years in Iraq--Genesis 27:42-45 &31:38
* The first world Empire was in Iraq--Daniel 1:1-2 &2:36-38
* The greatest revival in history was in a city in Iraq--Jonah 3
* The events of the book of Esther took place in Iraq--Esther
* The book of Nahum was a prophecy against a city in Iraq--Nahum
* The book or Revelation has prophecies against Babylon, which was the old name for the nation of Iraq--Revelation 17 &18

No other nation, except Israel, has more history and prophecy associated it than Iraq.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Tom D
12-16-03, 08:46 PM
Verrrrry interesting.

ivalis
12-16-03, 10:02 PM
I believe all the earlier references to "Iraq" should be Sumeria.

"Iraq" is a fairly recent (in biblical terms anyway) phenomena.

The trouble w/ Iraq is that it is artificial country created by a British Mandate following WWI and the fall of the Otoman Empire.

Attributing these ancient events as having taken place in "Iraq" is comprable to saying that the ancient migration of peoples over the land bridge to N. America as being a migration to the US.

firstsgtmike
12-16-03, 11:40 PM
Not being a student of history, or geography, I would ask questions for clarification.

When Iraq was created by the British, what determined it's boundaries. Were biblical references considered? Were tribal boundaries taken into consideration? Was the existing population in agreement with the boundaries that were superimposed on a map of the area? How accurate was the map to begin with?

Since Iraq is an Islamic country, are its citizens aware of, or concerned about, the biblical references?

What effect did the Crusades have upon Iraq?

Do the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers remain in the same river beds they followed during biblical times?

Were these changes, if any, taken into consideration when the lines were drawn on the map?

"1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq. (it sure doesn't look much like Paradise on Earth today, thanks to Saddam) "

When WAS the last time it looked like the Garden of Eden?

How come no one recognized it as such 30 years ago before Saddam destroyed it and turned it into a desert?

(I remember, almost 50 ago, on a travel guide map of Florida a place called the Garden of Eden. It was a commercial ad for a nudist colony.)

I have NEVER seen another map showing the location of the Garden of Eden. Perhaps no one considered it noteworthy, until now.

Now that Saddam has destroyed it.

Perhaps it will now appear on maps. "It used to be here (x marks the spot) until 1990 when Saddam Hussain destroyed it.

(He blew the chance of a lifetime. He could have turned it into the world's most popular tourist attraction and made more money than he ever could merely selling oil.)

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

firstsgtmike
12-17-03, 12:47 AM
AN INTERESTING POINT!

When I posted the following last year, I did it as a joke. However the comments, posted, pm'd and e-mailed said that "Yes, but, that was the OLD testament, that's for the Hebrews, that's not the TRUE Bible.

But, the history of Iraq cites the Old Testament. So does THIS.

Follow the leader. Buy them by the bunch.
========================

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your radio show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific Bible laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? She's 18 and starting University. Will the slave buyer continue to pay for her education by law ?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? ....Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should this be a neighborhood improvement project ?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? Would contact lenses help ?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16)

Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

bobpage
12-17-03, 01:21 AM
Thank you Drifter. We studied all of these possibilities prior to the invasion. And we discussed them at MEF level with the planners, etc. The stuff mentioned above by you is real, and yes people there know what they have. If they did not, would Saddam have dubbed himself the new Nebudchennezzer? Muslims just have an entirely different view of the history than Christians or Jews. The think they are right, and you know the rest. The Antichrist cannot rise unless the world starts to make right into wrong and wrong into right. Sound like today maybe? Consequestly, after WWI, no one considered the biblical boundaries established by GOD for Israel, so who cares about Iraq's boundaries. We were not there when the rivers were formed, but they were not moved or altered by Saddam or anyone else except GOD Himself. Babylon, and Nimrod's palaces, the hanging garden walls, et al are right there on the river, where stated in the Bible, UNDER, Saddams new palace. See, lot's of people try to berate and deilute any biblical references or facts by trying to skew facts. Bottom line is GOD said it and I believe it. Funny thing, I protected the ONLY Rabbi in theatre during the ground war and we were travelling in an RCT that went right up the fertile crescent. GOD did not mean for anyone to see the Garden of Eden's whereabouts after the flood for a reason. People would make it a shrine, and all that stuff. I agree with your post Drifter, and respect the stuff you wrote.

Barndog
12-17-03, 05:22 AM
In 1958, Iraqi nationalists and radicals threw out the king imposed on them by the British after World War One. Over the next five years of relative freedom and democracy, Iraq began putting together a nationalized, planned economy, based on its oil wealth. Hundreds of factories were eventually constructed, making it the most industrialized country in the Middle East. A new deepwater port was built on the Persian Gulf, Umm Qasr, which became a lynchpin in that plan. From its piers Iraq began to ship the goods from those factories to buyers in other countries throughout the region. The port became a symbol of progress and independence, an achievement of the Iraqi revolution.

In 1963, however, the CIA organized a coup that overthrew the government of Karim Kassem, and installed the Baath Party in power. Saddam Hussein took control of the party and government in 1968, and in 1977 purged unions of his political opponents and drove radical political parties underground or into exile. Leftwing leaders of the unions organized after 1958 were fired, driven into exile, and even executed.

Under Saddam, Iraq eventually became a client state of the US, especially after the Shah was overthrown in Iran in 1978. Both Saddam and the US feared that Iran's Islamic Revolution would spread, and threaten their interests. The US therefore gave Saddam arms and money to fight Iran. By the conflict's end, over 400,000 Iraqis, including some of its most skilled and educated workers, were dead. During that decade-long war, Umm Qasr proved its strategic value. Loading and unloading ships at the docks in Basra, on the Chatt-al-Arab waterway just a few miles from Iran's border, was practically impossible. Umm Qasr became Iraq's only usable port.

In 1987, Saddam had another unpleasant surprise for Iraqi workers. He issued a law declaring that the class struggle was over. Workers in state-owned enterprises were no longer to be considered workers at all, but civil servants. As such, Saddam said, they had no right to organize unions or bargain. On the Umm Qasr docks and in factories and refineries throughout the country, unions were effectively banned.

To read the entire article click here:

http://www.corpwatch.org/issues/PID.jsp?articleid=9408

ivalis
12-17-03, 07:41 PM
Good post 'dog. Similar CIA involvement caused the overthrow of a democratic gov't in Iran to be replaced by the Shah.

Castro, Somoza, Diem, et al all came to power w/CIA help.

We'll see how things turn out in Iraq & Afghanistan w/ our hand picked leadership. History doesn't provide much hope for a good turnout.

yellowwing
12-17-03, 11:08 PM
Iraq, Afghanistan, didn't we try to groom Ho Chi Mihn to help us with Imperial Japan also? That didn't turn out so well either.

What's up with forward thinking in Langley?

ivalis
12-18-03, 01:29 PM
HO did help us out w/ Japan and we sure showed our gratitude.

HO did more for us again'st the japs than Chiag Ki Chek (i'm sure i misspelled that). We supported Chiag till the day he died.

I take some heart in all these foreign policy screwups in that they were committed by Democrats & Republicans (despite what Ann Coulter says).