PDA

View Full Version : G.W. Guthrie Dog Tag

scallen
09-05-13, 08:01 PM
Fellow Veterans came together recently near Houston, TX for a celebration to return a dog tag to a Vietnam Marine. It was a real dog tag found in Khe Sanh by an Australian man who came all the way to Texas to return it 45 years after it was lost. All this to say that another dog tag in the possession of another Australian has come to light and several folks are trying to find its owner. The following information is provided and no one with this name is on the Vietnam Memorial Wall in DC:

G. W. Guthrie
2371195 O
USMC M
Baptist

This is one of the styles used by the Marines at that time and the "M" on the same line as USMC represents the size of the gas masked used by the owner. Does anyone know how to use the military serial number to locate the dog tags owner?

Since last week's dog tag return ceremony, the family of another dog tag owner has been located in Denver Colorado and is anxiously awaiting its return. It shows that not only the owners but their families do appreciate when these items are returned.

Thank You,
SCA, USAF, LTC, (ret)

advanced
09-05-13, 11:16 PM
All that I can tell you about the dog tag is that they are given in series I believe. He came in after me, Jan 67 as my number starts with 234.... Hopefully someone can tell you how to look him up.

scallen
09-05-13, 11:51 PM
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking the individual would have been in the military around 1968 or so. You would think that the names and service numbers would be archived somewhere. It is easier to find people when you have names vice initials.

m14ed
09-06-13, 02:05 AM
Scallen.

IF you'd like all the names that fit that discription ( G. W. Guthrie )
that i can find online,
Send me an Email, or message me.
37 names fit your question on my list.

the site here doesn't want personal information displayed

Rocky C
09-06-13, 08:09 AM
:thumbup: Thank you Brother Ed.