PDA

View Full Version : Is Marine Security Force a good way to become a Scout/sniper later on?

JGazUSMC
08-17-13, 12:26 PM
I was originally supposed to ship Oct 14 for bootcamp but my ship date was moved back because there weren't any recon slots available. I was called in and told that there was a recon slot available for Dec 9 and I took it. However, it turns out that someone had already "spoken for" the slot. I just received a call suggesting that I be put into Marine Security Forces as my MOS since the Recon slot wasn't available. My main goal is to get into scout/sniper school and graduate (no need to go over how difficult it is to get into scout/sniper school). Can anyone shed some light on whether or not this (MSF) is a good choice to get where I want to go? What are the pros and cons of MSF? Are there any better options? If anyone can sort of walk me through this, that'd be great!

Gemoore2
08-17-13, 08:14 PM
I cannot really speak for Recon or Security Forces here.. However, I will say this:

I would not put anything into my contract unless it is what I want out of the Marine Corps. Whatever you agree to, is what you will have to abide by during your Enlistment. Recon does recruit from the 0300 occupation, however there are no gaurentees..

However, if worse comes to worse, you can always tryout for MARSOC, they are always accepting applications.. You better be top notch though..

Gemoore2
08-17-13, 08:20 PM
As I said again, I cannot speak for Recon here, however from what I HEARD from word of mouth... (Not entirely sure how correct this is) Since Recon began allowing poolees to join with a Recon contract since '05 and '06 time periods they have greatly reduced recruiting 03's from the fleet forces. Also keep in mind, the Marine Corps is drawing down right now, so I bet that has placed a HUGE impact on fleet recruiting as well..

So if I were you, I would not step on the yellow footprints unless you have the MOS you desire. (Although, a Marine is a Marine regardless of occupation anyway..)

JGazUSMC
08-17-13, 08:40 PM
I spoke with my recruiter today (no longer recruiting at the RSS I'm in the DEP at) and he suggested the same thing. I'll speak with our GySgt on Monday and get this squared away. I've been training for boot camp (running, pullups, and crunches) since January, but started training for BRC (going to the gym twice a day to swim, run, and lift) once I found out I "had" a Recon slot 3 weeks ago. I'm currently speaking with someone who has experience in Recon about a training/workout program to see if there's anything I could add on to what I'm doing at the moment. I will, like you said, look into MARSOC as a possible alternative later on. And like you said, a Marine is a Marine regardless of their MOS.

Gemoore2
08-18-13, 02:25 AM
MARSOC is a good program. You will not be able to elect that MOS in your contract (unless things have change recently) so there will be no guarantee you'll have what it takes to make the cut and secure a slot (well, I can say the same for recruit training too. You'll never know unless you try right?) Well anyway, it is a new MOS to the Corps, and it is headed into a great direction. You'll be helping to make some important Marine Corps history if you are able to make it in the program. It is the first time ever that the Corps put a foot in the door into SOCOM, regular Recon does not have that kind of support. The Corps is REALLY trying to expand the program, they just activated a public website with tons of information about it if you are looking for more information: http://www.marsoc.com/

My best advice though, is as I said: Ensure that Recon is in your contract prior to stepping on the yellow footprints. You can tryout for the program pretty much at any time in your career. They were going around trying to recruit my Junior Marines right before I got out, so they will take Marines from any rank/MOS, so it will never be too late or too early to give it a shot.

JGazUSMC
08-18-13, 10:37 AM
Sounds great to me! MARSOC sounds like a great alternative. Like I said, I'll talk to our GySgt at the RSS about it. Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it!

JoeMyst
08-18-13, 11:09 AM
Let me shine some light, I'm an 0331 some of my close friends went recon and a decent amount of people in my Co were security forces. Although it sounds like it doesn't pertain to your situation right now, Recon completes 3 months of boot camp and then is shipped to SOI West (California). This is where I lost contact with my friends but from what they've told me, those with Recon contracts are worked harder than other infantry students to prepare for their follow-on training.

When I went through SOI we had 3 different groups with us aside from active duty 03xx groups. Reservists (pretty much all became 0311 if they weren't contracted into a weapons MOS--0331 0341 0351 0352), MCT (non-03xx that only came for first month of SOI training due to MCT training overflow), and Security Forces. 0311 Reservists and Security Forces were placed into the same platoon if I recall correctly. They completed 1 month of 03xx training, followed by 1 month of 0311 specific training. From there reservists went home and security forces went onto follow-on training.

Now that's out of the way here's what I can tell you about MARSOC/Recon/Sniper. At the end of SOI everyone was given the option for Recon, I can't recall anyone going for it out of my company though. Scout sniper indoc was offered about 4 months after I hit the fleet and some people from my unit accepted it, only one or two passed. MARSOC is difficult to get into and I only know of one individual actually going through the indoc. It took him about 6 months just to get the chance and even after successfully completing it they're still allowed to reject you without reason, it isn't like training for an MOS.

From one man to another I wouldn't suggest talking to GySgt about MARSOC. I'd save it until after you hit the fleet, proved yourself, and have been there long enough where your seniors want to give you options.

Gemoore2
08-21-13, 10:30 PM
There you have it JgazUSMC..

JoeMyst, being from the 0300 field has more interaction with Recon elements than myself and provided you with better insight and advice than I can.