PDA

View Full Version : Marine's quick thinking nets 'Combat V' distinction

thedrifter
12-15-03, 05:00 AM
Marine's quick thinking nets 'Combat V' distinction
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 2003121212510
Story by Lance Cpl. Monroe F. Seigle

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(December 12, 2003) -- A split-second decision made in the heat of combat can possibly determine the success or failure of a mission and the survival chances of the Marines who are bravely fighting enemy forces.

Captain Anthony Muralt, administrative officer for Marine Helicopter Training Squadron 301, Marine Aircraft Group 24, aboard MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, was recently awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with a Combat "V" following Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Muralt, who was deployed in January with the 1st Tank Battalion, Twentynine Palms, Calif., was on the outskirts of Basra, Iraq, setting up a perimeter to restrict the flow of traffic in and out of the city, while infantrymen cleared an industrial building that was believed to have Iraqi soldiers hiding within.

The infantrymen cleared the building, and as the morning sun came up over the sands of Iraq, Muralt and his unit were on the move again - this time to secure a bridge leading into Basra to prevent against an enemy counterattack.

While on guard, a slew of enemy soldiers dressed in civilian clothing attacked Muralt's unit with the use of small-arms fire. The Marines returned fire, and within moments, the Marines of 1st Tanks overwhelmed the enemy soldiers with small-arms fire. The enemy was on the run, scattering in different directions.

"When we returned fire on the enemy, the actual fight only lasted a few moments, and we destroyed the majority of them," recalled Muralt. "The rest of them who were still standing realized they had no chance and scattered in different directions leaving the dead and wounded behind."

The bridge that the Marines were guarding was also the only means of transportation in and out of the city of Basra. Therefore, they expected another counterattack.

"We were ready for another counterattack, and we also had to keep the enemy from crossing the bridge when a British soldier came across the bridge to inform us that a battalion-sized element of enemy soldiers was preparing defensive positions on the other side," said Muralt. "He told us that there were armored personnel carriers and [sports utility vehicles] used for suicide missions."

Muralt knew that air support would be needed in order to successfully destroy the threat on the other side of the bridge. Using training he had received on radios while stationed at Twentynine Palms, he attempted to call for close air support using the PRC-113 Radio.

"I jumped on the radio and called for air support, but I had no way of giving grid coordinates," he remembered. "I had to tell them where we were and where the enemy was by using visual coordination."

Moments later, four AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters came in from different directions and bombarded the enemy and equipment with an entourage of firepower. For 45 minutes, the helicopters laid down enough firepower to prohibit the enemy from launching an attack against the Marines. This enabled the British troops to enter Basra and establish a stronghold in the city.

"I just did my job," said a humble Muralt. "I never expected any kind of award for what I did. I was only concerned about the welfare of the troops and accomplishing the mission at hand."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031212163930/$file/combatVlow.jpg

Capt. Anthony Muralt, administrative officer for Marine Helicopter Training Squadron 301, received the Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medal with a Combat "V" following actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Photo by: Coutesy of Capt. Anthony Muralt
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/3D5640202FE15DE285256DFA00620D9F?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: