PDA

View Full Version : new Recuit Mother with questions

Recruitmother
08-11-13, 02:16 PM
I am a Mom of a new recruit. My Son is just completing his first week of bootcamp. I am from Indiana and Hoping to attend my sons graduation ceremony in San Diego. financially, I have to prepare in plenty of time in advance. Arrangements for work, money, flights,hotels.. ect. MY question is, When my Son graduates will he come home immediately after?? I would hate to go all the way there and be prepaid for& planning a week in CA., And HE be on his way back to IN. What happens directly after graduating? Does he come home the very next day..week?? IF I do not attend, When would I get to see him next??
This is my question for now, I am for sure I'll have plenty more. If there's anyone who could take the time to educate an ignorant Mom, I would truly appreciate your time!:-) Thank you!!

irpat54
08-11-13, 03:04 PM
are you going to tell him that you are coming,, you should get a notice when he gets to the end of Second Phase,, with a base pass for the day of the ceremony, tell him right away if you plan to attend,, usually they get about 10 days depending on when what MOS he is and when his school starts for his MOS sometimes they only get a couple days and then they have to report to there school for further training. not to often but it does happen but when you get the notice of when his graduation is make sure you tell him right away if you have not already that you plan on attending..

my best to him and to you,, mam

irpat54
08-11-13, 03:07 PM
also make sure you finish filling out your profile otherwise the squad leaders or administrator will close it until it is done.. again good luck and my best to you all

Recruitmother
08-11-13, 04:01 PM
I truly appreciate your time! You have been a huge help! Primarily, because I had intended on surprising him! Now, I realize that it may be best he knows I'm coming!. I didn't even realize my profile was incomplete.. So thank you for that aswell! This is all very new for me, so thank you very much for your help!:)

Tennessee Top
08-11-13, 04:25 PM
PLEASE...go to www.marinefamilynetwork.com (http://www.marinefamilynetwork.com) and join their forum (it's free).

You will find answers to all your questions there. On the homepage, at the top, click on the "questions" tab - that's where you'll need to start. That site is a little busy so it may take you some time to learn your way around but you'll get the hang of it. The moderators are parents/spouses and very helpful (they have been there and done that). There will be a specific thread for your son's platoon and a training matrix where you can see wht his platoon will be doing that week. You can also communicate with mothers of other recruits in your son's platoon. There are also threads about writing letters to recruits, graduation dates, bootcamp leave, recruiters assistance, and much more. That site is where you need to be more than here.

Good luck.

Tennessee Top
08-11-13, 04:27 PM
I truly appreciate your time! You have been a huge help! Primarily, because I had intended on surprising him! Now, I realize that it may be best he knows I'm coming!. I didn't even realize my profile was incomplete.. So thank you for that aswell! This is all very new for me, so thank you very much for your help!:)

Yes...he NEEDS to know so his command can mail you a packet you'll need (pass to get on base, etc.).

travis mcgee
08-13-13, 02:51 PM
Our son graduated from MCRDSD 2 years ago. We live in Minnesota and as Tennessee Top has mentioned you will receive a graduation packet. The graduation ceremony is well organized for visiting parents. If I remember correctly there is a service that will help you book both your flight and hotel at very reasonable prices. I believe we stayed at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel which provided free shuttle service to both the airport and MCRD. Our son was home for 10 days after graduation and he flew home with us. He then went back for MCT and then on to his MOS school.

The schedule for graduation went like this; Thursday is Family day where you get to spend an afternoon with your MARUIT (not quite yet a Marine till after graduation and still just a small part of him is a recruit), Friday is graduation day where your son will officially become a Marine when his DI gives his final dismissal. Saturday we flew home. We also arrived on Wednesday to get settled in without having anything planned.

If you haven't already you should visit the MCRDSD website: http://www.mcrdsd.marines.mil/. Here you will find lots of information including what your son will be doing during the next 13 weeks. Good luck and keep us posted.

advanced
08-13-13, 03:10 PM
1 of your questions which hasn't been addressed is the big financial question. Having your parents there for graduation is a wonderful experience, I guess, because my parents could not make it back in the day. Now a days most of the recruits go home on 10 days leave right after they graduate. If your finances are really tight, you may choose to miss graduation. Just saying.

HockeyRulesX4
08-15-13, 09:41 AM
We just attended Family Day and Graduation at MCRDSD when our oldest son earned the title. There is a lot of information on www.recruitparents.com and www.marinefamilynetwork.com. These are the best sites for information.