PDA

View Full Version : Running the Reaper

giganusmc
07-29-13, 11:45 PM
I'm going to be in Pendleton in a couple weeks, and as a Parris Island Marine, I wanted to run the Reaper (finally see what my west coast friends keep talking about). Can anyone give me directions on how to get there, or know when the best time to go would be (when it isn't being climbed by recruits)? Thanks!

josephd
07-30-13, 02:45 AM
Just running up it isn't a big deal, I'll be honest it really isn't that large of a hill either.

But when you are in boot camp everything is blown out of proportion larger than real life. Also keep in mind this is hiked up at like 3am in the dark with that 70lbs on your back after not sleeping for 2 days and you're completely exhausted.

I have done it during the day in boots and utes and while it gives you a good workout it is nothing crazy.

You can Google map it, it is right off of Alise Canyon Rd which comes off of Stuart Mesa Rd on the South end of Pendleton. The "Reaper" hill goes up right next to a big MOUT town and a few ranges and then loops around on the top of the hill/mountain.

If you want to hike/run something that will really get you going go up to Camp Horno and go up what we west coasters call the microwave/Mt. Motherf****r. Go up and down recon ridge too.

Tennessee Top
07-31-13, 12:02 AM
Was in the San Onofre area with SOI (permanent personnel, not a student) and also the 1st Combat Engineer Battalion for a number of years. Recon battalion was just down the road. Familiar with all those hills/trails/roads/camps. Also assigned to HqBn, MCB mainside for a number of years. Kept my apartment in San Clemente so had to commute all the way to mainside and back every day (rode a motorcycle during that time so was commuting on a bike).

Read the "similar threads" beneath your question.

giganusmc
08-02-13, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies and help!

FistFu68
08-02-13, 10:43 AM
Yeah I remember alot of Hot Dogs made it up pretty quick We had Sandbags in our Ruck sacks Helmets 782 gear and Rifles simulated Combat load, saw more than 1 BadA$$ get messed up on the Way DOWN try it on a Rainy Day Goodluck have Fun Semper Fi :D :iwo: