PDA

View Full Version : 1171 Utilities

NorthernCA831
07-19-13, 05:06 AM
Good day Ladies, Gentlemen.
I am a brand new Marine. I graduated bootcamp last week and ive been trying to research my MOS a little but to no avail. Does anyone have any good insight into this MOS?

1171 Water Support Tech?

any ideas on what im going to be doing or who ill be working with?

and will i be deployable?

thank you all so much.

Yup
07-19-13, 09:51 AM
First, congrats on making it. Now comes the fun part.

You will be a "water dog". No one is sure what you guys actually do other than eat and hang out, but you play the cards your dealt. Pretty sure the showers etc fall under your MOS and you guys are supposed to provide purified water in the field. When on deployment nowadays pretty much all of the water is bottled so quite honestly I'm not sure how much work you will be doing. I can tell you, yes 1171s do deploy.

NorthernCA831
07-19-13, 11:18 AM
Thank you Gunnery Sergeant. Eat and hangout...ohboy. Is it fair to think that I'll be able to pursue my education while I am enlisted? I've been told some MOSs have no time to mess with schoolwork and others do... Part of the reasons why I joined this beloved Marine Corps was for the education benefits. As I'd like to possibly go into OCS after I get my 4 year degree

Yup
07-19-13, 11:23 AM
Well, your going to have to complete MCT and your MOS school before thinking about off duty education. Learn your job first then take care of the other stuff. Once you hit the fleet it will depend on where you are stationed and what your local command policy is on taking courses. Some places require you to be on station for a certain amount of time before approving tuition assistance. As for going to OCS there are plenty of programs available to go the Officer route if you are dedicated enough. The MECEP program is one of the best you will see since you get paid to get an education. I would recommend you spend a little time in the Corps first before dreaming of such things, at least one or two years in the fleet so you know what you are getting into.

NorthernCA831
07-19-13, 01:27 PM
Right Right. Thank you GySGT Yup. Im very excited.

SGT7477
07-19-13, 09:00 PM
Congrats boot on earning the title, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

josephd
07-20-13, 02:17 AM
Don't get to excited with what I am about to say especially considering the war is winding down and pretty much over, in Afghanistan anyway.

But we had some utilities guys and water dogs like yourself that we took out on missions/convoys and were our gunners. They really had no use in the rear on base/in the FOB so we took them with us.

NorthernCA831
07-20-13, 02:21 AM
I see.... SO kind of backed up infantry units?

m14ed
07-20-13, 06:37 AM
I see....
SO ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
" kind of " backed up infantry units?

You'll find Marines of (Various MOS's) being used
every time MANPOWER runs short....
many places,,,not just activly outside the wire,
or providing your OWN Security,
or HUMPING Freight because their isn't/aren't
enough forklifts or cranes....

not always in their assigned mos's,
and not always to their liking.....

josephd
07-20-13, 05:27 PM
I see.... SO kind of backed up infantry units?

No...you just fill voids/empty seats where a boots are needed

Rocky C
07-20-13, 05:42 PM
Congrats Marine.

I'm reading this thread and I keep thinking about that movie " Waterboy " with Adam Sandler.

Now I want to go rent it :D.
Great Movie...

Sorry to jack the thread.

Carry on...

jerry sellers
07-22-13, 04:21 PM
Don't forget that every Marine is first and foremost an 0300 (infantryman).... At least that's the way it was in my day; thus the rifle range qualification every year.

Sgt. E.G. Sellers 1398767 ('53-'57)

Rocky C
07-22-13, 04:30 PM
You got that right Jerry. Every Marine is a Rifleman first and foremost.

SGT7477
07-22-13, 08:37 PM
Don't forget a Marine and his rifle are the deadliest person in the world, Semper Fidelis.

jerry sellers
07-23-13, 09:54 AM
If Korea were a "police action," why didn't they just send us home and bring in some cops? (Current joke going around Pusan in the '50s....)

josephd
07-23-13, 08:00 PM
If Korea were a "police action," why didn't they just send us home and bring in some cops? (Current joke going around Pusan in the '50s....)

what does this have to do with anything?

m14ed
07-24-13, 02:32 AM
what does this have to do with anything?

Jesus` Jose~,,,

lighten up on the Old Marine ???

josephd
07-24-13, 03:11 AM
Jesus` Jose~,,,

lighten up on the Old Marine ???

do we "lighten up" on all the young poolees and wannabes on here for the same or similar type of thing?.....No

not trying to be disrespectful, i'm just saying

And my name is not Jose(hahaha well I guess in Spanish it technically is)

mccmuffin
07-24-13, 09:42 AM
Thats what I hear Rocky.In my day every Marine was A forklift and a backhoe and a lawn mower and a security guard.

jerry sellers
07-24-13, 01:04 PM
what does this have to do with anything?J

Sorry the story went over your head, boot.

doc h fmf
07-24-13, 02:06 PM
That is true Jerry, and know what's funny is I always unked on my 9mm but retired an expert with the m-16 can you explain that 1. Semper Fi and God Bless Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

josephd
07-24-13, 03:20 PM
J

Sorry the story went over your head, boot.

boot?...far from it

I understood the joke but what does that have to do with the kid asking about being a utilities Marine?...nothing

Rocky C
07-24-13, 06:31 PM
Stand down Marines.
Please stick to the topic.
You are posting in an " Open Forum "...

Thank you.

elliscraig12
07-25-13, 01:04 AM
Here's a short video of the Water Dogs from my old squadron MWSS-374

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200091341506563

NorthernCA831
09-03-13, 12:43 AM
Yeah I don't know where that went but it's all good. Currently on Guard duty here at SOI(West)... Graduated MCT about 3 weeks ago. Learned a lot of cool stuff. M67 frag was defintely the best part. Anyway, I'll be going to school In October for my mos school in NC. Thanks Ellis, that video helped me out a lot with what i expect to be doing.

jeonpaolo
09-03-13, 10:51 PM
This used to be my MOS over a year ago...let me know what questions you have.

amw1972
09-04-13, 08:56 PM
1171's main function is to operate water purification equipment. They are also responsible for field laundry and field sanitation as required. It is a very technical MOS, as a young devil, it is pretty labor intensive. You'll be working your a$$ off conducting inventories on your gear. Most water dogs that get out after the Marine Corps find their way into water purification jobs, sanitation type jobs. So you'll have a good knowledge base to work from.

Deployments now will be few and far between, but there will be training ops all over the place. As for bottled water...yes...the Marine Corps have gotten into employing contracts to provide us with drinking water while we're deployed. However purified water from (rivers or the sea) is still utilized for washing, medical, cooking (if needed)...etc.

Worry about learning about your gear at MOS school...then worry about learning everything YOUR NCO's will have to teach you when you hit the operating forces.