PDA

View Full Version : Problems finding available MOS

Crob44
07-11-13, 11:51 PM
I just want to say thank you in advance for fielding my question. Please help me with my situation, I enlisted back in February as a General Service Marine because my Recruiter and i had not discussed MOS positions before i enlisted. My first choice was Infantry but after many months of no availability, I had asked about other MOS`s i was interested in. Those were Marine Corps Security Force Guard, Artillery, Transport Mechanic, and Motor T. All which he said were full., But he then offered me a $1000 signing bonus for Open Contract. Well basically my question is, are all these MOS`s always stocked or am I just looking into them at the wrong time? I`m sorry if i repeated a post similar to someone else`s. I searched but did not find any.
I don`t want to sign an Open Contract in fear of ending up with a MOS I don`t want and warnings from my father who is a Marine
Thank you for reading this

m14ed
07-12-13, 03:03 AM
In the old days....
Everybody enlisted OPEN CONTRACT

NO $ 1,000.00 either...

Jersey0311
07-12-13, 04:46 AM
Stay away from Security Forces. You'll spend two years at a PRP command babysitting nukes. You won't deploy, and Marines coming from Security Forces are looked down on once they get to the Fleet.

Yes, you'll be an infantryman. But you won't deploy and will have a bad rap once you hit the Fleet.

On the upside, if you can get into RTT once you're there, you'd have a good gig. I know a bunch of RTT and DM Marines who loved their job. But SF is a totally different animal than the FMF.

Also as a prior 0311, there's better MOS out there. I loved my job, but kicking in doors doesn't pay the bills when you EAS, at least at first.

Crob44
07-12-13, 09:19 AM
Thank you for your replies. Do you recommend i just wait a little bit and see if any of the MOS`s open up? I`m not exactly sure how to go about it.

Yup
07-12-13, 04:21 PM
$1000 in the long run is a very small amount of money in exchange for agreeing to do something you may not want to do or may have no interest in doing. You're best bet is to hold off until something you want comes along. The few months it may take are well worth the 4-5 years of time doing a job you enjoy. Also, it's never a bad idea to look at jobs that will eventually transfer to the civilian world. We all get out at some point in time and it's nice to have a skill that can keep you working.

Tennessee Top
07-12-13, 09:59 PM
You can only stay in the DEP for 365 days; after that you get discharged. Your clock is ticking. You can wait around for something you like to open up eventually if you want to but understand there...

Rocky C
07-13-13, 02:06 PM
I enlisted with an open contract.
The only thing on my mind was being a Marine...

Best of luck to you.

Crob44
07-13-13, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the replies Marines, i believe that`s what ill have to do is wait till October and hopefully find a MOS. I will keep you all updated.

mccmuffin
07-22-13, 10:30 AM
Roll the dice the important thing is being a Devil-Dawg every Marines a rifleman
Right Rocky?

Rocky C
07-22-13, 04:19 PM
:thumbup: You got that right Mark :flag: