PDA

View Full Version : IRR to Reserve 0211

Jersey0311
07-08-13, 10:05 PM
Errrrrrrrr!

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I'm a Cpl in the IRR, currently an 0311. Got off the phone with a PSR earlier (he was making house calls), and we got to talking. I've been missing the Corps a lot lately, so he had some good timing I'd say.

Anyway, my 2nd tour to Afghan from May 2011-Jan 2012 had me running around as the CLIC Marine. More so voluntold for the job than anything else, but it is what it is.

I got to talking to the CI/HUMINT Marine attached to my company, who sparked my interest in the job. Like me, he was also a prior 0311 before he made the jump. He schooled me up on the job, what the requirements were, and eventually helped get a latmove package started for me.

At that point I was assigned a paper to write from the team's OIC on some topic. Your usual college term paper with MLA, bibliography, etc. It was quite a feat to somehow pull that off in Afghan while balancing other responsibilities, but I pulled it off.

I was all set to get boarded at Dwyer with the J-2X from RCT, but then word came down the pipe that apparently they were no longer doing boards overseas? I was crushed, but they said they'd figure something out once we all got back stateside.

Get back stateside, I get back in touch with the CI Marine. He gives me the # to the CI Recruiter at 2d Intel Bn. I do the initial screening. They tell me that the paper I did overseas is no longer valid and I have to do a new one, start the process over, yada yada yada.

Needless to say, at the time I wasn't exactly thrilled. I got lazy and said **** that, and put in a re-up package to go to WTBN at Quantico. Package is completed, all required signatures done, then before I run it back to the company office my roommate spilled coffee all over it.

I took that as a sign, and EAS'd last May. Got promoted in the IRR. Been working as an EMT ever since while processing with several LE agencies in the area.

Fast forward to tonight. PSR calls, we bull****. He's a newly assigned PSR, gives me the straight poop on things, and doesn't try to sell me ****. Good on him. We get to talking about how I've been thinking about joining a drilling unit, like the one up at Picatinny Arsenal, then me possibly reclassing as a 0351, etc.

Eventually he mentions that there's other MOS's in the area that are hurting for people. 0211 came up. My ears perked up. I wasn't aware that 0211's were in the reserves.

I'm looking at this as a second shot at doing something I thought I would never be able to do after leaving AD. When I was still on deployment, I SIPR'd everything I could about CI, boarding, etc to prep myself. Now it's all gone. I also was debating whether I wanted to get into LE or re-up into CI. Both were appealing. I'm seeing this as a chance to be able to do both!

I did some searching and found the below linked thread, which lead me to post here.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?114186-Re-enlisting-Questions-LAT-Moving-into-0211&highlight=0211

I also found this thread, and have the same questions.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?111658-0311-to-0211-in-the-Reserves&highlight=0211

What is life as a reservist CI/HUMINT Marine like? Do they operate on the same 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year drill schedule? What about deployments? This is my first time hearing about reserve CI, so I'm totally lost in the sauce.

I'm going in to talk to the PSR later on this month and hopefully talk to the SNCOIC or CI recruiter for the unit, but just looking for any insight before then. I understand the OPSEC issues, so please feel free to take it to PM if necessary.

And mods, didn't know if this was supposed to be a new thread, or a post onto a not-so-old thread. If I ****ed up, my apologies.

Thanks!

josephd
07-09-13, 01:44 AM
I don't know anything about the CI question you have but I am curious, who were you with in the fleet?...deployed with?...I was in the 'Ghan during the same time period you were on your 2nd pump. Running around Sangin and Kajaki area.

Jersey0311
07-09-13, 02:03 AM
I was w/ L Co, 3/6 from 2008-2012. You were w/ 1/6 I'm guessing? Those guys were up there the same time I was.

First pump was Jan 2010-Aug 2010 for Op Moshtarak where we cleared (or tried) Marjah. Terrible times. A little after I left, 3/5 took Sangin and fought one hell of a fight up there. I felt for those guys. I still say that 3/5's initial foray into Sangin was way worse than clearing Marjah.

May 2011 I went back to the same AO, except this time 3/6 had the entire AO. 1st time around 1/6 had half, and 3/6 had half. Now 3/6 had the whole AO with A 1/9 and C 1/6 attached to us.

If you're 1/6, then you know all this because we probably did both deployments together.

Oh Helmand, how I miss that place.

I will say this. My 2nd pump was way quieter than the 1st. Didn't shoot my rifle except for BZO at Camp Dwyer. 1/6 laid waste to Sangin and actually got to have some fun. Jealous much.

josephd
07-09-13, 08:07 PM
I was w/ L Co, 3/6 from 2008-2012. You were w/ 1/6 I'm guessing? Those guys were up there the same time I was.

First pump was Jan 2010-Aug 2010 for Op Moshtarak where we cleared (or tried) Marjah. Terrible times. A little after I left, 3/5 took Sangin and fought one hell of a fight up there. I felt for those guys. I still say that 3/5's initial foray into Sangin was way worse than clearing Marjah.

May 2011 I went back to the same AO, except this time 3/6 had the entire AO. 1st time around 1/6 had half, and 3/6 had half. Now 3/6 had the whole AO with A 1/9 and C 1/6 attached to us.

If you're 1/6, then you know all this because we probably did both deployments together.

Oh Helmand, how I miss that place.

I will say this. My 2nd pump was way quieter than the 1st. Didn't shoot my rifle except for BZO at Camp Dwyer. 1/6 laid waste to Sangin and actually got to have some fun. Jealous much.

Not 1/6...I wish. I am a reservist engineer that was attached to CLB-6/CLC-6, but we were under 1/6 command. We did the push up route 611 to the dam with 1/6, building all the PB's on the way.

flyby
07-23-13, 08:46 PM
I can't give you any information on the above but I will say that whatever you do, DO NOT fall off contract. Re-enlist in the IRR if the time comes and you are not in the SMCR by then. Being in the IRR and still on contract will make your process easier when you do rejoin.