PDA

View Full Version : 8th and I

jeonpaolo
07-01-13, 08:48 PM
Marines,

I am going to be TAD for about a week to 8th and I. As I was recon-ing the area on google maps, I noticed a lot of Marines in cammies in the public roadways outside of the Marine buildings there. Anyone know the current rule on this? Is there like a 1000 meter radius you can go off "base/government property" and still be authorized to be in cammies over there? Thanks.

BGW
07-01-13, 10:52 PM
They are probably what you call **** birds, getting away with things and not getting caught... Until now.

But I know on Courtney in Oki Marines are allowed to walk off base in cammies to walk to another base. Maybe its the same thing?

josephd
07-01-13, 11:25 PM
They are probably what you call **** birds, getting away with things and not getting caught... Until now.

I would usually agree with this, but not at 8th and I. I have been there(not for duty or anything) and know a few guys who did a tour there. That place is locked on so tight just being there gave me an anxiety attack as I had a super low-reg haircut and wasn't in "proper civilian attire".

I don't have any insight on the cammie question though, I would imagine there is some sort of rule like that there as many high ranking officers and such walk around there and go to the Pentagon, White House, Capital Hill, etc...

Tennessee Top
07-02-13, 07:52 AM
The Commandant's house is there (you never know when he may be in the area). Sincerely doubt anybody would be breaking any uniform regs. That place is a Marine Corps shrine and maintained in immaculate condition 24/7 which means a LOT of work. The Marines in cammies could've been on a work detail. During the summer, most work details are performed in PT gear.

Let us know what your TAD experience there was like. Never hear much about the oldest post of the Corps.

Rocky C
07-02-13, 04:34 PM
Give em a call and ask.
1-202-433-6682
General Info.

Enjoy your week there...

jeonpaolo
07-06-13, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the input Gents. I'm going to only be in formal civillian attire and charlies while there anyway. I was just wondering. The area is filled with military buildings so I assume you are allowed to be in cammies to go across the street or whatever. I will give them a call on monday thanks.

EastofWest18
07-06-13, 07:17 PM
No cammies except for official work. You will go from your place of duty straight to the barracks to change, then be allowed to go about your business. Walking around you will routinely run into Generals, Admirals, and other high-ranking DoD officials. The last thing the Corps (or you if you care about your career) wants is to have you be seen doing anything in your cammies outside of work. When you are done working go to the barracks, change, and enjoy the local restaurants and the D.C. monuments.

New York
07-15-13, 02:08 AM

But I know on Courtney in Oki Marines are allowed to walk off base in cammies to walk to another base. Maybe its the same thing?

Fast words for a Oki-Marine, but thats your hate and discontent speaking for being stationed on the rock and not having your duty station as DC, let along your playground in that AO.

When i was there, it should still be the same Rules/Regs for the uniform of the day thing, cammies are authorized to be worn within the vicinity of MBW: DC (Marine Barracks Washington DC) and to and from the Navy Yard. No shi(T)-birding going there, i can assure you.

Tennessee Top
07-15-13, 08:39 AM
Don't think it was hate and discontent; just someone who has never been there and does not understand the mission of the Marines assigned there (mostly to represent the USMC to the world). Doubt they would even allow ****birds to be stationed there; if one did pop up for some reason they would be reassigned somewhere else quickly.

Rocky C
07-15-13, 04:40 PM
Your correct Top, in a Heartbeat !!!

BGW
07-15-13, 06:07 PM
Fast words for a Oki-Marine, but thats your hate and discontent speaking for being stationed on the rock and not having your duty station as DC, let along your playground in that AO.

When i was there, it should still be the same Rules/Regs for the uniform of the day thing, cammies are authorized to be worn within the vicinity of MBW: DC (Marine Barracks Washington DC) and to and from the Navy Yard. No shi(T)-birding going there, i can assure you.

Whoa whoa whoa you better secure that motivation there killer. It was a stupid question and so I gave a stupid answer. If you were unable to catch on to that then I suggest you better complete a few more MCI's.

Besides Oki was great, sure it had its down side but over all it was cool. If anything I always felt bad for the Marines who get stuck in places like Quantico or the DC vicinity.

Also maybe you should fill out your profile too while your doing them MCI's there motivator.

josephd
07-15-13, 08:39 PM
Whoa whoa whoa you better secure that motivation there killer. It was a stupid question and so I gave a stupid answer. If you were unable to catch on to that then I suggest you better complete a few more MCI's.

Besides Oki was great, sure it had its down side but over all it was cool. If anything I always felt bad for the Marines who get stuck in places like Quantico or the DC vicinity.

Also maybe you should fill out your profile too while your doing them MCI's there motivator.

How was it a stupid question?.....A Marine that didn't know what it was going to be like wanted some SA on what to expect and how things work.

I didn't catch any sarcasm in your original answer either.

And lastly I don't think you rate to call anyone except your fellow Lance Colonels "killer" on here.

Tennessee Top
07-15-13, 10:35 PM

I didn't realize you were giving a stupid answer either. Fooled me. If I were still a LCpl, I wouldn't be giving anybody any advice (about profiles, MCI's, or anything else for that matter)...just say'n. Keep it professional please.

Rocky C
07-16-13, 08:49 AM
You either have a positive response to the OP's question or you do not.
If you do not, don't post.

This thread is in an " Open Forum ".

Nuff said...

Thank you Marines.

BGW
07-17-13, 02:43 PM
So he was looking on google maps and saw some Marines on the side of the road? And wanted to know the rules about wearing cammies off base? Were they really on public roads? Perhaps they were just police calling? Who knows.

Your all being waaay to nice to him, not that many places in the Marine Corps are this forgiving. But who knows about 8th and I, I never heard of it before so maybe things are different?

josephd
07-17-13, 04:34 PM
So he was looking on google maps and saw some Marines on the side of the road? And wanted to know the rules about wearing cammies off base? Were they really on public roads? Perhaps they were just police calling? Who knows.

Your all being waaay to nice to him, not that many places in the Marine Corps are this forgiving. But who knows about 8th and I, I never heard of it before so maybe things are different?

You've never heard of 8th and I before??

m14ed
07-18-13, 02:49 AM
You are all being waaay to nice to him,
not that many places in the Marine Corps
are this forgiving.

But who knows about 8th and I,
I never heard of it before ,
so maybe things are different?

You've never heard of 8th and I before??

Young Corporal Joe...
MeThinks you jumped the gun,
questioning the LanceCorporals statement.

I'd be more inclined to think the lancecool was
speaking of wearing cammies between locations
(Deemed to be PUBLIC Areas ) and the policy
allowing the same.

Maybe we both should take another "READING COMPREHENSION CLASS " ????

josephd
07-18-13, 08:08 PM
Young Corporal Joe...
MeThinks you jumped the gun,
questioning the LanceCorporals statement.

I'd be more inclined to think the lancecool was
speaking of wearing cammies between locations
(Deemed to be PUBLIC Areas ) and the policy
allowing the same.

Maybe we both should take another "READING COMPREHENSION CLASS " ????

hahaha......me needz a ejukashon

m14ed
07-19-13, 02:39 AM
HEY...
I'm as quick as anyone else on here to "JUMP THE GUN"
responding to articles......

TOO SOON OLD-
too late smart.

Tinman
07-20-13, 07:02 PM
Back in the day ( mid 80's ) grounds maintenance was allowed to work outside the walls. You were also allowed to go from Post 1 ( main gate ) around the corner and acrossed the street to get to the beq's , chow hall, e club, etc. On occasion we would sneek across the street to an awesome sandwich shop and get a sandwich, but you had to be quick. Awesome duty station, enjoy.

jeonpaolo
09-03-13, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the very late reply gents,

So as everyone knows the entire DC area is filled with government buildings and offices. 8th & I is 2 blocks away from the Washington Navy Yard. I constantly saw Marines and Sailors walking back and forth between those two bases and yes they are allowed to walk back and forth with loaded weapons in any uniform of the day. I personally stayed at bollin air force base in the suburbs of DC about 7 miles away. I highly recommend the hotel there but security sucks. It is supposed to be a medium security base and yet I was able to walk right on base in front of the sentry gate guard without being stopped. This was also at 2 AM and I am sure the guard was sleeping (thats air force for you). There is a subway that goes from the AFB to the navy yard and 8th & I and continues to the Pentagon. There is also a shuttle that leaves 3 times a day to the Pentagon. The Navy yard is a beautiful old base, most of the buildings are original and over 80 years old built in gothic style. I was able to use my government travel credit card to purchase subway tickets. The DC police where very helpful as well, one of them was prior military and actually gave me a ride back to the AFB. My business at the navy yard only took 2 hours and I was there for 2.5 days so the entire tuesday I had time to go around the city and check out all the points of interest. I highly recommend DC for anyone wanting to go there by the way. The last day I took the shuttle to the Pentagon before going to Reagan airport. The Pentagon is very fast paced with a large crowd of military in uniform and civilians constantly entering and exiting. I also noticed while riding the subway in DC it is perfectly normal to see military personnel in uniform commuting. And also apparently even as a lower enlisted Marine you can be stationed at the Pentagon. It is extremely rare but it happens. The USO at Reason was really great as well. After that trip, I am extremely jealous of anyone who is stationed in DC. It is very professional there in the military community as well.

Tennessee Top
09-04-13, 09:43 AM
So, you didn't actually go TAD to Marine Barracks 8th & I as stated in your original post? Didn't you at least stop by there since you were only 2 blocks away (you may never make it there again)?

jeonpaolo
09-05-13, 12:38 AM
No, I was officially TAD to Bollin Air Force Base and the Navy Yard. They originally told me 8th & I but that was a misunderstanding I think they were just pointing me in the general area before I left. I got some pictures in front of the main entrance but did not go in. But just from walking outside the post, it looked really nice. I did have to admit though the Navy Yard looked nicer than 8th & I (maybe because it is an even older post?)