PDA

View Full Version : Transfering GI BILL to wife?

ritdawg
06-27-13, 01:18 AM
Was hoping I could get some answers regarding trying to transfer my GI Bill to my wife so she can use it for school. I am slated to pick up Sgt. for July promotions, and would be resigning my contract with an MOS change to a different reserve unit in Texas. I know that it has to be sent off for approval, and that I need to sign for another 3 years (already have 7 years) for my wife to use the GI Bill. Once my contract is resigned and approved, how long does it take for me to transfer the GI Bill? Right now I have 27 months left of GI Bill at 80%. She wants to start school July 1 (school is on a quarterly schedule). So if she starts July, we will have to pay out of pocket for her to go. I told her, that we should wait till Sept for the GI bill to kick in. So any advice on procedures how long it will take and her schooling would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

Apache
06-27-13, 09:23 AM
What does your Admin office say ?
They will have up to date info.

chulaivet1966
06-27-13, 09:55 AM
What does your Admin office say ?
They will have up to date info.

That's the path to take IMO.

Even though I'm curious of the outcome of this inquiry, in my pea brain, I do not see any valid logic in being able to transfer G.I. bill benefits to someone who was not in the military.
Seems to me, that actually serving is what earns the G.I. bill benefits.

But, I've been wrong in the past.

Carry on....

ChuckH
06-27-13, 09:58 AM
I agree.. never heard of transferring...

Apache
06-27-13, 10:06 AM
Well----
That's the way I saw it initially ,
But things change so the safe answer is ----- see the office POGs

thewookie
06-27-13, 12:18 PM
The post 9/11 GI Bill is transferable to a family member - direct family member like wife or kids. Is that the one you are talking about or looking into?

I'll look up the reg/info later. You could not do that with the 'old' Montgomery GI bill, or one I got.

ETA -- took about 3 mili seconds.

Transfer Of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits To Dependents (TEB)The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.

http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/transfer_of_benefits.html

spotts
06-28-13, 10:39 AM
He is the official link from our VA website

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/transfer_of_benefits.html