PDA

View Full Version : Found an old set of dog tags

ACockles
06-25-13, 03:32 PM
I know, I know. You're probably all sitting there groaning, going "Not another one!" But I read the rules, (fully) filled out my profile, and I think I'm all set to be able to post this. Feel free to let me know if I am wrong.

My mother passed away nearly 20 years ago. While recently going through a box of her belongings, I found a set of dog tags I believe to be authentic. They read as follows:

DYE
E.C.
SS# Blood type (I think it's 0+, I'm writing this from the office)
USMC S
PROTESTANT

The other reads the same except there is an M instead of S. I believe this is the gas mask size? The ss# indicates the person may have been born in Oklahoma.

I have been all over the internet trying to find a legitimate way to find this person. I could pay to search by ss# but one, I'm not sure those pay sites even work, and two, that seems a little too invasive ... which I know sounds odd but if possible I'd like to find them another route. Any suggestions? I've tried search sites, forums, you name it, short of paying for anything so far. I wouldn't even mind paying for a membership to a site if I knew it was a legit one.

Thanks for any/all help.

(don't beat me!) ;)

Rocky C
06-25-13, 04:47 PM
OFFICIAL POLICY: FOUND DOG TAGS AND OTHER UNITED STATES MILITARY PROPERTY.

1. Found U.S. Military items remain the property of the United States
Government and the Department of Defense as official custodian.

2. Found military items should not be retained by the finder who is
seeking, for whatever reason, to make personal contact with the GI who
lost the item, or a member of the GI's family. By law, found military
items must be mailed immediately to:

Secretary of Defense
Room 3E880
The Pentagon
Washington DC 20301

3. The Dept of Defense has many resources at its disposal to return
and/or preserve lost U.S. military items.

4. When sending items to the Secretary of Defense the finder should
include a letter describing the place and circumstances in which the
item was found, and the finder's personal contact information for
Department of Defense investigators:

WHERE WAS THE ITEM YOU HAVE ENCLOSED FOUND

CITY __________________________________

STATE/ZIP ______________________________________

PHONE _______________________________________

EMAIL ________________________________________

Roger Simpson,
Public Information Office
The American War Library
amervets.com

doc h fmf
06-25-13, 08:04 PM
Thank you for some interesting information rocky, i didnt know we had to do that!! Semper fi and god bless my brother stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

m14ed
06-26-13, 02:35 AM
Rock....
The info you passed to the youngster is TRUE in fact...BUT

You and I , both know the tags were given to the lads mother..
NOT LOST, NOT STOLEN, but GIVEN by E.C. Dye...

Like giving the Tassle from the hat on graduation to your girl...
Same Same..
a TOKEN of affection , most cases..

ACockles (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?105467-ACockles) IF you want help . I'll give you a hand..
E-mail me, and we'll go from there.
/ed

Rocky C
06-26-13, 10:10 AM
The Policy does not apply to any Veterans leaving Active duty. The Government does not want your Dog Tags. I can only give the Policy on " Found " Dog Tags and / or United States Military Property.

" Gifted " or " Willed " Dog Tags is a whole other issue.

I have many Dog Tags that were given to me by Family members of My Brothers that have passed..................

ACockles
06-26-13, 10:37 AM
It is possible they were just found but since my mother kept them for so long (probably close to 20 years) I'd like to think they were given to her by someone whom she knew. It may be a little selfish of me too but if it was someone my mother knew I would like to be able to make contact with them. Thank you for the info and all the help! It is greatly appreciated. :)

m14ed
06-27-13, 01:57 AM
Cockles
I sent you an email with a name and phone number..
Give it a call

BarbaraAnn
02-11-15, 05:04 PM
Your post almost gives me a glimmer of hope Rocky. Would this address be whom I would write to inquiring about my stolen dog tags? Stolen in '73 Escondido CA. Probably a long-shot after all this time but worth a try if it is.

Marine1011
02-11-15, 05:35 PM
That conversation happened in 2013. Rocky has since left the site.

BarbaraAnn
02-16-15, 05:11 PM
Oh well. Then I will write or email that dept. I hope Rocky is OK. Thank you.

USMC 2571
02-16-15, 05:20 PM
Rocky is doing fine.

BarbaraAnn
02-16-15, 05:26 PM
Whew that is a RELIEF. Thanks

SGT7477
02-17-15, 05:03 PM
Whew that is a RELIEF. Thanks

Looks like you were a Roughrider once upon a time, Semper Fidelis.

BarbaraAnn
02-18-15, 10:32 PM
Yessirie I sure was. Even road those beautiful beasts too. Looks like you're also a Roughrider. Small world. Semper Fi :usmc:

SGT7477
02-19-15, 09:05 AM
Yessirie I sure was. Even road those beautiful beasts too. Looks like you're also a Roughrider. Small world. Semper Fi :usmc:

You got that right it's a very small world, chose to stay a Roughrider,lol, Semper Fidelis Sister.

BarbaraAnn
02-22-15, 07:44 PM
Well at least you're in a beautiful area there. Ft Lincoln, the North Unit, lots of history to see. Well that is when it ever gets out of the deep-freeze and turns green. Have you ever been to Teddy Roosevelt's cabin? I never even knew about that until I found an old postcard of it on the internet. Always Faithful in my blood.

SGT7477
02-23-15, 08:39 AM
Well at least you're in a beautiful area there. Ft Lincoln, the North Unit, lots of history to see. Well that is when it ever gets out of the deep-freeze and turns green. Have you ever been to Teddy Roosevelt's cabin? I never even knew about that until I found an old postcard of it on the internet. Always Faithful in my blood.
Never been to his cabin but been out to Medora a lot of times, the Medora musical is good to see, try to make it out there every year, if you ever get a chance that is worth seeing, a lot of history in Medora, Semper Fidelis.

BarbaraAnn
02-27-15, 10:41 AM
Our B.S. Troop camped at Medora and saw the musical. I thought it was fantastic! We camped right along the river and there was the biggest storm that night. It was so windy I had to hold the west wall of my tent to keep it from flattening. After, we checked the boys and camp to make sure all were safe and secure. What excitement! Medora is a beautiful spot in ND amongst many.

SGT7477
02-27-15, 12:36 PM
Our B.S. Troop camped at Medora and saw the musical. I thought it was fantastic! We camped right along the river and there was the biggest storm that night. It was so windy I had to hold the west wall of my tent to keep it from flattening. After, we checked the boys and camp to make sure all were safe and secure. What excitement! Medora is a beautiful spot in ND amongst many.

What year would have that been,Semper Fidelis?

BarbaraAnn
02-27-15, 09:21 PM
The summer of 2000 :iwo: