PDA

View Full Version : Officer Lateral Move Question

LT45
06-23-13, 10:55 AM
I'm currently on active duty as an officer in the USMC and thinking about putting in for a lateral transfer. I am familiar with Marine Corps Order 1210.9, which governs officer lateral moves. It mentions an SMOS convening board MARADMIN that is supposed to describe "over" and "short" MOS. Identifying these are a prerequisite for applying for a transfer. I have searched high and low (especially on marines.mil) for these, but the most recent one I found was from FY 03. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this MARADMIN?
I'm also wondering if MCO 1210.9 is now out of date, since it was published in 2001. Has it been supplanted by a new order?

STai331
07-02-13, 04:47 PM
I'm currently on active duty as an officer in the USMC and thinking about putting in for a lateral transfer. I am familiar with Marine Corps Order 1210.9, which governs officer lateral moves. It mentions an SMOS convening board MARADMIN that is supposed to describe "over" and "short" MOS. Identifying these are a prerequisite for applying for a transfer. I have searched high and low (especially on marines.mil) for these, but the most recent one I found was from FY 03. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this MARADMIN?
I'm also wondering if MCO 1210.9 is now out of date, since it was published in 2001. Has it been supplanted by a new order?

I have no idea, but I highly doubt that the Marine Corps is willing to spend the resources to retrain a 2nd/1st Lieutenant for a new MOS.

There are plenty of opportunities for LogOs and unrestricted line officers. Talk to your CO, and ask around for opportunities.

Also, you could apply for a competitive air slot, if you're interested in being a pilot; but those are hard to get, especially nowadays.

LT45
08-09-13, 07:29 PM
Sir, thanks for your response. I did some digging and I'm going to repost some of what I found here for future reference and in case others are interested in this process. The first step is to visit...

LT45
08-09-13, 07:38 PM
1180 should read 0180.

STai331
08-09-13, 10:52 PM
No need for the sir man. I'm in the IRR. Best of luck in your endeavors, sorry I wasn't able to help more!