PDA

View Full Version : Having a wish I would have reenlisted moment

VINCE8541
06-13-13, 03:13 PM
What was I thinking when I got out?

Tennessee Top
06-13-13, 08:50 PM
I made the same mistake. Fortunately, this was in a different era (1977) so was afforded the opportunity to come back in as a "retread". Was also fortunate HQMC approved the rank waiver so I was able to keep my Sgt chevrons (was out for a year so should've lost a pay grade). Did lose all my time-in-grade as a Sgt but kept all my time-in-service. So, most of my peers who stayed in passed me up and when I retired as a MSgt, they were MGySgt's and SgtMaj's (one was a Major LDO through the MECEP program and another was a CWO-4). I paid a price for getting out and always regretted it. Some of us knuckleheads have to learn the hard way.

VINCE8541
06-14-13, 06:33 AM
Well at age 50 I am still fortunate to be wearing a uniform. Although the Air Force is not the Marine Corps. I still wear my USMC gold ring to remind myself and others who I really am. Can't shake the feelings of regret and wasted time. Maybe the good in the Corps outweighs the bad and we only remember the good things.

TazMatt
06-14-13, 07:25 AM
I think most of us that got out and really liked what they were doing have regrets.I got out and then reenlisted for two more years and then got back out because of political red tape bull s**t and then regretted it later.But it is what it is and we sometimes make the wrong choice.

ChuckH
06-14-13, 07:27 AM
Shoulda woulda couldof ...

I was an E5 when I got out Feb 1972, I was to young to think ahead...
I regret not staying in, wonder what rank I would have ended up?

VINCE8541
06-14-13, 07:30 AM
Yeah, even today at 50 if I could do another 6 years I would. I wanted to get married and raise a family which I did. In the grunts most married guys had a lot of problems because we were always deployed or in the field. We all make choices in life. I do feel honored that I am a Marine and served out my enlistment.

Rocky C
06-14-13, 10:02 AM
I think most of us feel like you do Brother but " Once a Marine, always a Marine "

It is what it is Vince...

Thank you for your continued Service.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

VINCE8541
06-14-13, 10:12 AM
Thanks Rocky, Great avatar, looks like it would make a great tatoo