PDA

View Full Version : Marine musicians - what's their reputation?

duffytweedy
06-07-13, 02:34 PM
My son is a junior in high school and has wanted to join the Marines for quite a while. When he talked to the recruiter recently, the recruiter was very interested in the fact that my son is in marching band and is an accomplished trumpet player. So the recruiter was really pushing the MEOP.

This has my kid conflicted. He is very much into the Marine mystique--his grandfather was a Marine, and we live near MCAS Miramar so there's a lot of Marine culture in our neighborhood. He also loves trumpet. But combining the two is not what he pictured himself doing in the Corps.

He's researching it, but I want to ask a specific question: how do other Marines feel about their musicians? I don't think he'd be happy if he went that way and discovered that Marine musicians were looked down on, or considered "not really one of us" by other Marines. Not that it would deter him if it's what he decided to do, but I'm curious.

Thanks.

jtbyrd1977
06-14-13, 09:03 AM
Greetings,

I am just an Air Wing POG (6046) but I never had any issues with members of the band. While playing their instrument is their primary job, they also have collateral duties doing more "typical" Marine functions.

For example, the 3D MAW band, right there at MCAS Miramar deployed most recently to Afghanistan, providing Command Center security.

http://www.3rdmaw.marines.mil/Units/3DMAWBAND/History

In the 8 + years I was in, I never recall hearing Marines trash talk the band.

duffytweedy
06-14-13, 09:40 AM
Thanks, jtbyrd1977. That's helpful. Especially interesting since there's a local connection.

awbrown1462
06-14-13, 02:24 PM
all band members but the Marine Band go thou boot camp like everyone
The Marine Band recruits experienced musicians; members are selected through a rigorous audition procedure and must satisfy additional security and physical requirements to be eligible. Selected band members serve under a four-year contract as active duty enlisted Marines and are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and physical standards. They are the only members of the United States Armed Forces not required to undergo recruit training and do not perform combat missions. Also, they are not assigned to any unit other than the Marine Band.
The band members start at the rank of Staff Sergeant, and wear rank insignia with a lyre replacing the normal crossed rifles. Commissioned officers are drawn from the band, although drum majors are career Marines and are selected from Fleet Marine Force bands, as they are responsible for the military development of the band's members.
The 12 Marine field bands ( Unit bands) are everyday Marines and may pull other duties and can be deployed
here is the MOS and duties of Unit Bands
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/5566.htm (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/5566.htm)

Rocky C
06-14-13, 02:44 PM
If you want to know how highly they are regarded, click the first link under similar threads in your post.

What an Honor !!!

usmcrro
06-14-13, 03:36 PM
The band members that start out as SSgt are members of the President's Own. If you pass the security and audition requirements, you're in. They don't go through boot camp, MCT or deploy.

They are separated from the Fleet Marine Band members. These guys go through boot camp, MCT and MOS school. They can hold a variety of billets depending on the unit and can deploy.

Few Marines view bands as a waste of money and man power. Most are indifferent and treat band Marines as any other Marine.

If he is worried about what others will feel about him, he has to stop now or he'll suffer throughout his Marine Corps career.

duffytweedy
06-14-13, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the additional information. usmcrro, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I should say that my son isn't worried about what others might think of him--his dad (me) is worrying for him.

gkmoz
06-14-13, 08:25 PM
Pretty cool ! I never knew this info ! :)

Tennessee Top
06-17-13, 09:32 AM
I was in my highschool marching band (sousaphone) so can appreciate how difficult being a musician is. Unfortunately, I was never good enough to consider pursuing music after highschool.

Have seen the President's Own, the Commandant's Own (drum & bugle corps), and various unit bands throughout the fleet. Never actually knew a Marine musician; just watched them perform. Have always held Marine musicians in the highest regard because of their professionalism and abilities. Took my niece to MCRD Parris Island for a recruit graduation a couple summers ago and was highly impressed with the depot field band there.

Understand your son's quandary. If he does not pass the audition then that would solve the problem. If I were him, I would take the audition and then see what options are still available.

Please keep us update.

Master Yo
07-04-13, 03:42 AM
I was a 9812 (Drum and Bugle Corps - Commandant's Own) for seven years - soloist for three.
My impression of the D & B is that they have a lot of top notch musicians.
The same goes for the President's Own and the "Field" Bands.

For the D.C. groups, all you really do is practice and perform.
For the "Field" Bands - you do a whole lot more. That means everything that all of the other Marine Field Units do, including deployment to a combat environment. I don't know if all the Field Bands have deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, but the bands from Camp Pendleton, El Toro, Cherry Point, and Camp Lejeune have deployed several times.
I hope this information is helpful.
Sempre Fi