PDA

View Full Version : LAT move to EOD?

BCreed025
06-07-13, 03:59 AM
Evening Marines,

Quick question for you guys. I'm currently a lance meritoriously and working my ass off to get on a Corporal board with almost 1.5 years TIS.

Anyway, my currently MOS is 6531 (aviation ordnance). I'm stuck in Okinawa and pretty much do nothing because our aircraft barely have any ordnance. I'm still pretty motivated and really considering lateral moving into EOD.

Now, I've read plenty of threads regarding requirements for EOD, but I was curious what I should be working on now to help me down the road when I put in my package? One good thing is some of the quals (AA&E, etc) I'll already have since I work with ordnance in my current MOS. Other than that, I have a good PFT/CFT but always working to improve.

Just figured I'd ask in case anyone here has experience with this. Thanks in advance!

Zulu 36
06-07-13, 07:06 AM
I suggest you find an EOD guy and ask him. Most EOD people I knew were pretty approachable and willing to answer serious questions about how to get into their MOS. Nothing like hearing the information you want right from an expert.

BCreed025
06-07-13, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the reply Sgt. That's part of the reason I posted here, I was hoping to find some prior or current EOD techs. I'll definitely try to find someone to talk to here on island though.

BGW
06-07-13, 06:37 PM
you work on 46's? or C-130's? Maybe your at MALS?

Kegler300
06-07-13, 06:48 PM
Call MGySgt Page, or any of the other EOD Technicians at (910) 449-0558/0586. They'll be happy to answer your questions.

BCreed025
06-07-13, 09:53 PM
BGW - 46's.

MGySgt - thanks for the reply. I'll definitely give them a call and see what information they can give me.

Kegler300
06-08-13, 02:58 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/cml_toes/sonofabeetch.jpg

MLMonk
06-08-13, 03:19 PM
I am actually starting the process to LAT move into EOD as well. Only I am going from SMCR to Active Duty. My Aunt knows a retired USMC EOD tech, and I asked him about it. He said it is a very fun MOS to be in, it is also very strenuous and time consuming, although that wasn't a bad thing in his eyes. There is nothing to prepare you for the school; everything they teach you is classified and cannot leave the classroom for homework. If you are mechanically/electrically inclined, and enjoy working on small components, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. He was telling me that there are people who are booksmart and will recite everything they teach you, but when it came to the prac-app, they failed.

You need to be able to get a TS clearance. Keep you credit score good, and don't do anything stupid AT ALL. I am sure you already know if you qualify or not.

You get treated like adults (everyone is Sgt or above), and PT was on their own in his unit.

I wish you luck and maybe we will see eachother in the fleet.

BGW
06-08-13, 11:09 PM
BGW - 46's.

MGySgt - thanks for the reply. I'll definitely give them a call and see what information they can give me.

Oh damn son you with 265 or 262? I use to be with 262... Those were the good times, before total lock down went into effect.

BCreed025
06-08-13, 11:36 PM
Oh damn son you with 265 or 262? I use to be with 262... Those were the good times, before total lock down went into effect.

262. Lock down is still in effect. I got to the fleet and it was almost more strict than the schoolhouse.

BGW
06-09-13, 08:30 PM
262. Lock down is still in effect. I got to the fleet and it was almost more strict than the schoolhouse.

To bad I heard 262 has seen some dark times, LtCol Wells got burned for something big. Its sad cause he seemed like a cool guy right when he hit 262. Oh well I suppose.

BCreed025
09-22-14, 11:36 PM
Not to bump an old thread, but I still have the same questions regarding the LAT move. I picked up Corporal and recently PCS'd back to the states from Okinawa and I'm currently attached to a small active duty squadron on a reserve base. That being said, there definitely isn't any units around here that would have EOD techs, so I unfortunately won't be able to talk to anyone in person right away.

I'm still a first-term Marine, but definitely plan on re-enlisting and hopefully with an EOD slot. Thank you.