PDA

View Full Version : 01 Admin and Personnel Field questions

Wright93
05-31-13, 01:37 PM
I ship off to boot camp on June 3rd, 2013. I took someone else's spot so I could move up and leave quicker and I had to take his job and he chose this field. I have a few questions about firstly where is the MOS School for this and how long is it? What is a normal day like for this job? What is the possibility of deploying with this job? Is Lat-Moving hard? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I appreciate any information you may have for me. Thanks!

Lisa 23
05-31-13, 02:25 PM
A simple internet search will give MOS school location.....

United States Marine Corps

http://z.about.com/

MOS (Job) Listing

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blmarinejobs.htm

As far as LAT moving, how about you slow down and make it through boot camp first. LAT moving is not as easy as you may think it is, especially with the downsizing of the Marine Corps.

Wright93
05-31-13, 02:42 PM
Thanks for that I was looking all over and I couldn't find that for the life of me! I am aware LAT moving probably isn't going to happen at least for the first enlistment term.

dizark
06-03-13, 07:33 PM
If you don't want to go admin, don't do it. If it's not something you want to do, you will regret it everyday for four years. Go something that interests you if available.

Tennessee Top
06-06-13, 01:58 AM
Admin school used to be at Camp LeJeune, NC but don't know about now. I was an 0151 (admin clerk) and later an 0193 (admin chief). I enjoyed the MOS because it gives you the ability to help other Marines with pay problems, promotion issues, annual leave, etc. One of the biggest advantages is assignments as admin pogues are needed anywhere there are Marines (unlike aviation Marines are only assigned to air stations or naval ships carrying air squadrons as an example). Another advantage is it is never a critical MOS which would keep you from being assigned to a "B" billet like DI, recruiter, or MSG (I served on the MSG program twice and was also the Operations Chief for the MSG School in Quantico). If you are assigned to an infantry unit, combat engineers, tanks, etc. you will deploy along with them.

Don't ever let anyone ever tell you that just because you're not a grunt you're not a "real" Marine. I competed against grunt Staff NCO's at the Staff NCO Academy in Quantico and held my own. As a student detachment commander at MSG School, I competed against grunt Staff NCO's (including former DI's) and was the class honor graduate. As a detachment commander on the program, I successfully lead grunts, including recon rangers, and was named the detachment commander of the year for 1987. Me, as an admin chief. I tell you this just to show you the opportunities for an individual in the admin field and to underscore being an admin pogue never makes you less of a Marine. Don't think you'll just be stuck in an office somewhere sitting behind a desk. I served with base, Fleet Marine Forces, and aviation units, and was also on Inspector-Instructor duty with a reserve combat engineer company. During Desert Storm in Iraq, I was forward deployed with the J2 Directorate, US Central Command (SSO office).

During the time I was assigned to Headquarters Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, CA and Infantry Training School, Camp Pendleton, I worked a normal 8-5 schedule with nights and weekends off. This afforded me the opportunity to go to school so I completed both my associates degree and bachelor of science degree while on active duty (and paid for with tuition assistance which may or may not be available to you now). Of course, this meant I was either working or in class/study hall and gave up all my weekends for about 3 years. It was tough but worth it after I graduated (helped with promotions).

If you have specific questions about the admin field, just send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them.

Good luck remington raider!

jtbyrd1977
06-13-13, 10:15 PM
The admin field is very broad. It includes MOS's like 0161 ( postal clerk) and 6046 (aviation maintenance administration) just to give you an idea. Your recruiter can give you a detailed description of each job that falls under that "legal admin" blanket.