PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty to Reserves? What is the best option with all of this?

ProudUSMCWife
05-14-13, 08:06 AM
Hello, <br />
My husband is currently deployed to Oki &amp; up for re-enlistment. We are trying to figure out what the best move is for us &amp; our situation. We have our first child on the way and this is my...

Apache
05-14-13, 10:18 AM
Proud Wife
Your profile could use a little attention -- friendly nudge.

First let me say your husband needs to apply pressure at his unit to get the
Up to the minute answers.
Use the chain of command and don't quit till you have answers.

What's best for the two of you ?
That's your call ----
If you can remain active for at least 20 you will have excellent retirement benefits.
If you can complete 20 between active and reserve you will have very good benefits.
If you exit now you are just another "impaired" vetern and will work another 40(?)

Apply pressure to your husband with specific questions for his command.

Let us know how it plays out .

Rocky C
05-14-13, 04:25 PM
Jessica,

Welcome to the forum and congrats to you and your husband on the upcoming birth of your child.

I don't even want to address the question of Active Duty vs Reserves.

I do want to address the issues you brought up in your post about your husbands current conditions.

It seems like he is suffering.

You need your husband, your child needs a Dad and we need our Brother Marine.

Please do not even think about reenlisting rather talk with him and get an evaluation on his health issues.

This is just my humble opinion.

God Bless, good luck and please keep us posted...

ProudUSMCWife
05-14-13, 05:03 PM
Hi Rocky,
The problem is that he was finally getting help over in Okinawa (he was placed as a camp guard) and as soon as his company found out he actually liked that job they snatched him back so he couldn't "skate" through deployment. My husband is so hard working, he busts his ass everyday. They found out about his PTSD & Depression and were so angry that they were just hearing about it that they non-ranked him for the month of May. I just don't know which way is up right now unfortunately. I have a High Risk pregnancy & all this is stressing me out....

Rocky C
05-14-13, 05:15 PM
Then you have to stay calm.

Have him use his Chain Of Command and request to be evaluated ASAP stateside for a MEDSEP.

ProudUSMCWife
05-14-13, 05:28 PM
Rocky, I just PM'd you to get more info

Rocky C
05-14-13, 05:44 PM
:thumbup:. Got it. Melrose MA. ? That's a beautiful town !!!. Were almost neighbors.

There are some members on the forum from the Boston Metro area.

Other members will offer you advice as the days go on also.

Great to be Friends...

Old Marine
05-15-13, 08:52 AM
Hi Rocky,
The problem is that he was finally getting help over in Okinawa (he was placed as a camp guard) and as soon as his company found out he actually liked that job they snatched him back so he couldn't "skate" through deployment. My husband is so hard working, he busts his ass everyday. They found out about his PTSD & Depression and were so angry that they were just hearing about it that they non-ranked him for the month of May. I just don't know which way is up right now unfortunately. I have a High Risk pregnancy & all this is stressing me out....

Non-ranked for a month?? That must be something fairly new . Never knew there was such an animal, except when you are a Private. Did the CO dole out this punishment or did one of his NCO's do it?

Ceya
05-16-13, 12:41 AM
I don't know why they should non rec him (meaning not recommending him for promotion if he is eligilble).

Its not that they did not know of his injuries.

But I went through a similar thing too.

I agree with Rocky C and as a fellow Mortarman, he needs to get checked out. If his injuries are that serious, we need to help the Marine not more tours of duty.

Remain calm, don't let things beyond your control put you at high risk.

It may be a good chance if he is med boarded out from the PEB (Physical Evaluation Board) he will get retired from the Marines. I think he rates it but I'm not the Board.

S/F,
CEYA!