PDA

View Full Version : Going to 29 Stumps -- Any Advice?

0231DevilDog
05-07-13, 05:41 PM
Hello Everyone,
Ill be going to 29 Palms in a little more than a week to my first duty station, My MOS is 0231 and my new unit is 3rd LAR, what are some things I can expect when I check in to my new unit, what are some things that I can do on and off base? Does anyone know about the S-2 Shop for 3rd LAR and what an average day consists of? Thanks Marines, Semper Fidelis.

Kegler300
05-07-13, 06:46 PM
Going to 29 Stumps -- Any Advice?

Don't go. ;)

SGT7477
05-07-13, 09:32 PM
Hated that place was there 6 months was enough for me, couldn't wait for my discharge,lol,Semper Fidelis.

josephd
05-08-13, 02:32 AM
If you don't have a car, get one. And be sure it gets good gas mileage because when you get secured for libo you will want to get the hell out of there. L.A. and San Diego are both only a few hours away.

I have a buddy of mine who is stationed out there and has been for the last 4 years. He actually doesn't mind it to much, because there isn't much to do out there he spends most his time at the gym. He is literally like 3x bigger than he used to be because of this.

TECK
05-08-13, 12:47 PM
It was 120 when I left.We would pull weekday lib. in Plam Springs and hitchhike back. Sunrise in the pass.

ameriken
05-08-13, 01:43 PM
Wasn't stationed there but in '78 went on a 30 day operation there out of Pendleton. All I remember is hot, dry, and stink bugs. We were stuck in the lower desert for a couple of weeks and then on top of one of these rocks for a couple more. Couldn't wait to leave.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef017c320eae02970b-640wi

awbrown1462
05-08-13, 02:50 PM
take sun blocker lots of it

Rocky C
05-08-13, 05:42 PM
Wasn't stationed there but in '78 went on a 30 day operation there out of Pendleton. All I remember is hot, dry, and stink bugs. We were stuck in the lower desert for a couple of weeks and then on top of one of these rocks for a couple more. Couldn't wait to leave.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef017c320eae02970b-640wi

So was I Ken in 78. 30 days CAX. 2 weeks in the desert and 2 weeks on those mountains. Everyone told me not to raise my hand for that one but...

ameriken
05-08-13, 06:33 PM
So was I Ken in 78. 30 days CAX. 2 weeks in the desert and 2 weeks on those mountains. Everyone told me not to raise my hand for that one but...

Small world Rocky, we may have crossed paths... :beer:

chulaivet1966
05-09-13, 04:18 PM
I'll chime in....

Holy sh!t...great aerial view of the Palms.

I'll agree with Kegler300.;)

After Nam I was put into M108's (M/4/13 - self-propelled) at Los Flores from April '67-December '67.

In October '67 we did a 30 day field exercise in the Palms.
I would suggest to the OP to check all 782 gear (boots inclusive) for any critters.
While checking my 782 gear just before dawn one morning there was a small scorpion hiding under the mesh webbing of my helmet.
I just happened to shake my helmet to be sure and voila!
I didn't call for a fire mission as I was able to terminate said invader.
I was ready for a CSMO call but that didn't occur.

Carry on....

Ceya
05-10-13, 12:47 AM
Hello Everyone,
Ill be going to 29 Palms in a little more than a week to my first duty station, My MOS is 0231 and my new unit is 3rd LAR, what are some things I can expect when I check in to my new unit, what are some things that I can do on and off base? Does anyone know about the S-2 Shop for 3rd LAR and what an average day consists of? Thanks Marines, Semper Fidelis.

1st -Welcome Marine!
2nd- Welcome to the WOLFPACK!

I was part of the pack and we are a tight group, I was with Bravo, Charlie and Alpha companies and did 2.5 UDPs back to back to back.

Deployed on UDP with all except Alpha was shorten due to PCS orders to 3rd Intell that was destroyed by the Senior Enlisted 03 at Division to serve with him.

If you go at night, The Stumps looks nice but come morning my GOD, heat, Sand Lake Bandene- Sewage treatment plant that smelled up the base (which I heard is gone).

You will be with HQ company, I rarely saw S2 except in formation or when on working party for the S3 shop. Had a few with us on deployment.

Off base Club 2/9 - if it is still around- STAY AWAY.

If you go to Las Vegas, have a way to get back. The BN Commander started a program for guys who got stuck or no money to get back, was to call the OOD and you carried a card that the taxi driver will be paid and YOU will pay back the Bn that money.

When on OOD duty we drove to pu our guys if a Marine that had a car who lived in the barracks.

Bn formation (during my time) there was Monday with pressed cammies and spit shine boots. It is held at the ramp ( where the LAVs are located).

We do go to both Pendelton and Yuma alot and if still around WolfPack round up.

Which was the CFT ,PFT and endurance course. It started as a 8 hr course and ran from station to station doing pull ups, weapons, pushing humvess, kims game, to a full 16 hrs endurace course with O course, 500 to 1000 meter swim, range ID, weapons, raplelling etc and humping the whole time.

The whole BN , all hands (except deployed company) cook out , 10 mile hump and bull in the ring called last man standing at night and we stay up and march back to BN HQ and remember the Marines we lost over the history of the BN.

Great bunch of guys I served with.

S/F,
CEYA!
81s Plt

Ceya
05-10-13, 01:00 AM
Oh, my time was over 15 yrs ago but at least you know some of my experiences.

Alot has changed but two things remained the same ALOT of Sand and Training.

And yes check for the little things that crawl in your gear.

Mine was a small scorpion.

S/F,
CEYA!
81s
Strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
Strength of the Wolf is the Pack!

Ceya
05-10-13, 01:12 AM
If you don't have a car, get one. And be sure it gets good gas mileage because when you get secured for libo you will want to get the hell out of there. L.A. and San Diego are both only a few hours away.

I have a buddy of mine who is stationed out there and has been for the last 4 years. He actually doesn't mind it to much, because there isn't much to do out there he spends most his time at the gym. He is literally like 3x bigger than he used to be because of this.

Could not edit it time.
It should be above " My time was almost 15 yrs ago"

I done what the Cpl's buddy has done, that was become a gym and library rat. I ran the ridge line and to Camp Wilson. I had also humped out to Yucca Vally and back every weekend while in the rear.

College courses is easy to take there, shoot on the pistol range, take motor cycle and 18 wheel classes on weekend ( you will see them in somebody's parking lot ).

S/F,
CEYA!

Bad Intel
06-01-13, 04:02 AM
Howdy. I left 3rd LAR's S-2 back in 2008, so my information is a little newer than Ceya's. I spent 4 years there.

LAR is a good unit. They expect a lot from you but they'll give back in spades. Honestly I don't know anyone in the S-2 right now or how they run things, but the typical routine is like this:

-Process security clearances
-Research stuff pertinent to wherever the BN is deploying on SIPR
-Get maps, laminate maps if anyone is requesting them
-Various administrative stuff

If there's a big field op coming up, you'll prepare maps and scenario information beforehand. Don't worry too much about that, your seniors will (should) show you how to do that. The biggest show-stopper is processing clearances. Everyone wants their clearance crap done as fast as possible, and it can be a complicated process so that makes it more difficult. Pay attention to what your seniors tell you, and make sure to look at the tutorials on the two primary programs you will use: JPAS and E-Qip Direct. If you're still at Dam Neck, you might ask one of your instructors to at least give you a basic idea of how to use JPAS. If you can get to LAR and know a little bit about JPAS, everyone will think you're a wizard!

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.