PDA

View Full Version : DI Duty tips.....

IHaveEGA843
04-14-13, 04:56 PM
Im currently a LCpl in the reserves trying to get mert Cpl then Sgt with the hopes of being switched to active and going DI.

I put up the numbers and have numerous awards that I will continue to put up so I can easily pass this selection board. This is something I want badly just like I wanted to become a Marine so I push and push to show I have what it takes so I can earn that smokey.

I just want to hear some tips and info on this duty. Ii just bpught the current issue of Marine Times to read those tips.

I know some salt dogs on here was some beast on the drill feild.

Lemme hear it!

Old Marine
04-14-13, 09:50 PM
Was a Drill Instructor and Series GySgt a very long time ago, probably before you were born. I kind of doubt that most things I could tell you are not used in training these days. I would suggest that if you plan on taking this step, make sure it is a 30 inch step. Good luck to you.

MunkyVsRobot
04-15-13, 09:08 AM
My recommendation is slow down its great to be motivated to do all that stuff but picking up too quickly is a bad thing. If you pick up CPL Meritoriously thats great but I have heard from a number of people you dont want to pick up SGT too quickly because your staff NCO's dont give you a break at all.

Think of it this way if you pick up CPL you can still use the Im a new guy at this whole NCO thing you pick up SGT too quick you cant use that excuse.

Do you reservists pick up that quick? I mean I am in the same boat looking to pick up CPL meritoriously too but just pace yourself itll happen when it is supposed to happen and you will be a better NCO for it.

IHaveEGA843
04-15-13, 01:44 PM
LOL 30 inch step, havent heard that in awhile now....

Munky I see what you're saying. Motivation isnt what drives me just I'm set on this goal and want to get it in my first enlistment. Alot of Marines say they would love to be DIs but dont want the headache with Recruits or the long hours they have. I dont mind neither one of them but I want to make Marines sometime in my career.

Reserves, our cutting scores are way higher man. I wouldve been picking up Cpl by cutting score next qrtr since its low enough to hit but in the reserves is nearing 1800.

Tennessee Top
04-16-13, 06:39 PM
MunkyVsRobot has a valid point. Let me preface this by saying I was never on the drill field but did have numerous leadership and instructor-type billets (I was a Detachment Commander of embassy Marines and on Inspector-Instructor duty). In a challenging job like DI, the worse thing you can do is attempt it too early. It's one thing to be highly motivated and a PT stud. But, the best way to set yourself up for success (and selection to DI school), is to show plenty of experience leading troops (not sure you can do that as a LCpl in a reserve unit) and some experience with military instruction (different than just normal teaching). Your first priority, besides just picking up rank and switching to active duty, needs to be getting into as many leadership billets as you can and leading as many troops as you can. Instructing and PT'ing are important parts of being a successful DI but if you remember, I'll bet you'll agree, your best DI's were the best leaders (and most likely the most seasoned). DI school is too short to learn and develop good leadership skills (besides experience in the fleet, you go to the NCO and SNCO academies to be taught those); you must have them before getting there and the only way to do that is to be in leadership roles. The USMC has been sending Marines to DI school for a lot of years now and I doubt they'll send anybody before they're ready (that costs too much). Your job is to make sure you're ready and you cannot rush that. I'm sure you're well aware the attrition rate at DI school is extremely high and rightfully so. They will weed out the weak leaders very quickly and you will not survive on your motivation and PFT score alone. The main point is, your goal of picking up rank quickly is one thing, but that that does not make you a good NCO (and DI material). Experience, time-in-service/the FMF, military education, paying your dues, leadership traits...those are the things that make a successful NCO and you must be a successful NCO before attempting to be a DI. Picking up rank too quickly does not prepare you for the responsibilities that come along with the new rank and sometimes can backfire (saw it happen a few times). You don't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak.

SGT7477
04-16-13, 07:59 PM
MunkyVsRobot has a valid point. Let me preface this by saying I was never on the drill field but did have numerous leadership and instructor-type billets (I was a Detachment Commander of embassy Marines and on Inspector-Instructor duty). In a challenging job like DI, the worse thing you can do is attempt it too early. It's one thing to be highly motivated and a PT stud. But, the best way to set yourself up for success (and selection to DI school), is to show plenty of experience leading troops (not sure you can do that as a LCpl in a reserve unit) and some experience with military instruction (different than just normal teaching). Your first priority, besides just picking up rank and switching to active duty, needs to be getting into as many leadership billets as you can and leading as many troops as you can. Instructing and PT'ing are important parts of being a successful DI but if you remember, I'll bet you'll agree, your best DI's were the best leaders (and most likely the most seasoned). DI school is too short to learn and develop good leadership skills (besides experience in the fleet, you go to the NCO and SNCO academies to be taught those); you must have them before getting there and the only way to do that is to be in leadership roles. The USMC has been sending Marines to DI school for a lot of years now and I doubt they'll send anybody before they're ready (that costs too much). Your job is to make sure you're ready and you cannot rush that. I'm sure you're well aware the attrition rate at DI school is extremely high and rightfully so. They will weed out the weak leaders very quickly and you will not survive on your motivation and PFT score alone. The main point is, your goal of picking up rank quickly is one thing, but that that does not make you a good NCO (and DI material). Experience, time-in-service/the FMF, military education, paying your dues, leadership traits...those are the things that make a successful NCO and you must be a successful NCO before attempting to be a DI. Picking up rank too quickly does not prepare you for the responsibilities that come along with the new rank and sometimes can backfire (saw it happen a few times). You don't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak.

Your right Top I have also seen Marines move up fast in rank that weren't worth a chit,lol,Semper Fidelis.

josephd
04-16-13, 08:57 PM
My recommendation is slow down its great to be motivated to do all that stuff but picking up too quickly is a bad thing. If you pick up CPL Meritoriously thats great but I have heard from a number of people you dont want to pick up SGT too quickly because your staff NCO's dont give you a break at all.

Think of it this way if you pick up CPL you can still use the Im a new guy at this whole NCO thing you pick up SGT too quick you cant use that excuse.

Do you reservists pick up that quick? I mean I am in the same boat looking to pick up CPL meritoriously too but just pace yourself itll happen when it is supposed to happen and you will be a better NCO for it.

^this!!!!

I picked up meritorious Cpl. in January, was already a fireteam leader. Now as a Cpl. 4 months later I am filling a squad leader billet, platoon scribe, and platoon guide type of billet. Already being put up for meritorious Sgt.(its a long shot), but I won't lie I'd like the opportunity to take a step back, take a deep breath, and "skate" on my rank as a Cpl. for bit before I pick up again.

Don't take on too much too quick no matter how much you enjoy the responsibility, it wears on you.

Wood5831
04-28-13, 02:20 PM
I agree with the take your time approach.

Here is an example of what I saw when I was a Sergeant coming off Embassy duty in 99 and arrived at my new duty station I saw fellow Sgt's that have been in the Corps less than I was a Sergeant and it showed. In fact one spend 3 months as a Cpl before getting meritorious Sgt.
The problem was they were so used to be Non-NCO's they didn't really have a chance to be a Cpl and learn what is expected of them. Case in point, after seeing 2 field days, I pulled a few fellow Sgt's aside and told them there is a thing called supervision. You do not clean the common areas while there is an abundance of Pfc's and L/Cpls sitting around. You get them to do it and you supervise everything.

Grungyg
04-29-13, 07:25 PM
hello Tenn. top im from Knoxville was in 70-72 like talk sometime name Jerry Webb

Ceya
05-12-13, 06:06 AM
As most stated above to “stop to smell the roses", for me I smell them for a long time.

I have a bud now who was meritorious promoted from PFC to SSgt, he is now a 1st Sgt. Good Marine and hard worker.

Few do that and make a good leader.

As for learning stuff for DI school, a few things to do is find someone in your command that was a DI to help you.

I did that with 6 SNCOs ( with 3 different units I was with) who were DI (Drill Instructor to Drill Masters). They are willing to help, if you put in the effort.

I done the above with my 1st Sgt, when he told me I can be a good candidate for Embassy duty (he was on it a few times and was going back as 1st Sgt). He helped a lot and learned from MSG Marines in Tokyo.

Even though I did not do the DI/MSG ( injury from workup) you get to understand what the duty is all about.

S/F,
CEYA!