PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Dome Helmet Liner

LCPLE3
04-06-13, 10:10 AM
Did you have a Chrome Dome in boot camp? Every recruit in my platoon had one back in 1975 when I was at Parris Island. Does anyone know the history of those silver painted helmet liners?

Rocky C
04-06-13, 04:26 PM
We had them at Parris Island in 77. Phased out in the mid 80's.

Here is some history you asked for on the " Chrome Dome ".

The M1 is two "one-size-fits-all" helmets — an outer metal shell, sometimes called the "steel pot", and a hard hat-type liner that is nestled inside the shell and contains the suspension system that would be adjusted to fit the wearer's head. Helmet covers and netting would be applied by covering the steel shell with the extra material tucked inside the shell and secured by inserting the liner.

The outer shell cannot be worn by itself. The liner can be worn by itself providing protection similar to a hard hat, and was often worn in such fashion by military policemen, Assistant Drill Instructors (known as AI's), and rifle/machine gun/pistol range staff, although they were supposed to wear steel at the range.

The liner is sometimes worn in U.S. military ceremonies and parades, painted white or *** chromed ***.

The depth of the helmet is 7 inches, the width is 9.5 inches and length is 11 inches. The weight of a World War II era M1 is approximately 2.85 pounds, including the liner and chinstrap.

Old Marine
04-06-13, 07:01 PM
The helmet worked well to brew coffee, heat water for shaving and numerous other things that are too many to mention.

Marine1955
04-06-13, 07:28 PM
ahhh the memories

William Hardy
04-07-13, 09:50 AM
We had them in the summer of 67 until we finally got to starch our covers and wear them. It was a symbol like blousing utilities or getting to put on the utility shirt instead of wearing the white tee-shirt during the summer. Everything indicated where you were in your training cycle. Yes, it does bring back memories.

Another thing...what about boots? Back when I was in we got our boots re-heeled at least once. All of these new boots are all one piece. Do they have harder rubber and just get new boots when they wear out or can you get them resoled? I remember everyone lining up and turning in our boots. The more worn out they were the more you bragged about how hard you put your heels down when marching. I remember the DI marching us in the dark saying he wanted to see sparks in the dark. (we had nails back then). I guess time and technology has forced changes in training that no one foresaw.