PDA

View Full Version : Lejeune-based Leathernecks make friends with JGSDF

thedrifter
12-10-03, 07:06 AM
Lejeune-based Leathernecks make friends with JGSDF
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200312119515
Story by Cpl. Miguel Solorio

IMAZU, Japan -- Marines and Sailors from 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, currently assigned to 3rd Marine Division, came to Exercise Forest Light with one intent_ to train. The battalion ended up with a lot more than they bargained for however. They made life-long friends.

"Exercise Forest Light has a new meaning to all of us. We all thought this training evolution was going to be like all the rest we've had, but we were wrong," said Cpl. Wesley S. Deyton, mail chief, Headquarters and Service Company. "We all trained hard here, but along the way we made friends with soldiers from the 36th Combat Team, (3rd Division, Japan Ground Self Defense Force) friends we'll have for life."

Forest Light is a combined exercise with the United States Marine Corps and the Japan Ground Self Defense Force. Training included various infantry tactics ranging from live-fire maneuvers to setting up a command operation center.

From the early hours of the morning into the late evening hours Marines and sailors trained hard with the Japanese soldiers.

"I enjoyed watching the Japanese soldiers in action. They do a lot of the same stuff we do," said Cpl. Scott M. Ruane, squad leader, 1st platoon, Company E.

Marines and Sailors had the opportunity to see how the Japanese soldiers, from the 36th Combat Team, maneuvered through the battlefield to accomplish their mission. At the same time, it also gave the soldiers a chance to see how the Marines advanced through the field. Although there was a language barrier, the techniques used were very similar to one another's.

"The Japanese soldiers would explain their tactics to us in Japanese, and even though we didn't understand the language, we knew what they were talking about, because they do things similar to us," said Ruane.

From the beginning of Forest Light the Japanese soldiers from the 36th Combat Team opened their hearts and minds to the Marines and Sailors from 2nd Bn., 6th Marines.

"When we met with the Japanese soldiers they were all so happy. They all wanted to know about our deployment to Iraq, and how we defeated the Iraqi soldiers," Deyton said.

"I think the friendships made here will last forever. We trained hard together, we laughed together and we hurt together. Friendships like this can only be made in the field," Ruane added.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/07571239473C59F485256DF00004AD5E?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Doc Crow
12-10-03, 10:04 PM
I did this also when I was there I loved operating with the JGSDF had a lot of fun and made some friends. Even played them in a softball game. They were a Good group of troops