PDA

View Full Version : Just saw this on MOL: FIRST TERM MARINES NEEDED!

ritdawg
04-03-13, 11:53 PM
FIRST TERM MARINES NEEDED!

Over 900 boat spaces still remain for Fiscal Year 2013. FY13 FTAP Marines are highly encouraged to consider further service. Incentives exist, such as the Selective Reenlistment Bonus Program (SRBP), Duty Station Guarantees, and Lateral Moves into other fields. FY13 First Term Marines should visit their unit Career Planner to be screened, or feel free to contact the Career Planners at the retention section of MMEA at (703) 784-9238 for more information.

Thats the broadcast message that came up on my MOL when I logged in, where I am a first term Marine. Granted I've been in the reserves for the time being (7 years). I was wondering if there is a spot in the MOS that I want to do, 7257, Air Traffic Control, and correcting to the FY13 bonuses, there is a pretty big bonus, and lateral move available for that slot. My question is, being a reservist, would I be able to take advantage of this, and if there is a boat spaces available, would I be able to do this?

Omegaham
04-04-13, 05:02 PM
ATC comm tech here (Not a controller, but I work with them every day).

You're going to have to talk to the career planner about that. My guess is that yes you can; ATC needs a lot of bodies, mostly because everyone GTFOs after they get their certifications. No point in dealing with the idiocy when the FAA will pay you 80k a year.

Just so you know, ATC is one of the few Marine Corps jobs where they actively look to kick the riffraff out. They reclass a lot of people in the schoolhouse, and they reclass a lot of people once you get out to your duty station as well. They'd rather send all of their ree-rees to Food Services and sign up more boots than try to remediate them. It's not a hard job, but it requires a different method of thinking and it's not for everyone.

MunkyVsRobot
04-15-13, 09:50 AM
Yeah same goes a lot in my MOS i am Topo and a lot of people get out first term you can deal with a lot of BS and make no money or get out first term making almost 100 150K out the gate.